Is this number plate legal?

Associate
Only a 2.0 they put in the A45. They really are going eco with them, I guess that goes with the new trend of putting the power in the name.

Still, I think that yellow line around it and the spoiler look awful.

Caporegime
Only a 2.0 they put in the A45. They really are going eco with them, I guess that goes with the new trend of putting the power in the name.

Still, I think that yellow line around it and the spoiler look awful.

I have never understood this argument. I much rather have a smaller lighter engine in a hot hatch rather than a nose heavy lump like a V6 or 5 cylinder. 4 Bangers can still sound good if done correctly.

Associate
I have never understood this argument. I much rather have a smaller lighter engine in a hot hatch rather than a nose heavy lump like a V6 or 5 cylinder. 4 Bangers can still sound good if done correctly.
Depends on the car in my opinion, I agree with the smaller engines with equal power, and if done properly a nice exhaust note. A lot of the three cylinder engines can sound quite good. I personally think it is a nice sales point to have a full on performance model that has a big engine that manufacturers have moved away from. A smaller engine is is certainly more economical and a lot of the DSG gearboxes are good at getting the torque where it needs to be, one debate that has come up in the past I’m not sure on just yet is the longevity of the smaller performance engines.

but, well, I do have a 6.0 V8 and a 2.5 Focus so not really high on the economy scale!

Soldato
I think a Merc should always be 6cyl minimum.

A smaller turbo engine isnt really a replacement for a big engine tbh. The power delivery is very spikey.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the input so far. Much appreciated. Does anyone have any further thoughts on the plate below?
It looks legal to me, however it is much shorter than usual. Is the below plate considered chav too by OCUK standards :)

hwCwrbD.png

Man of Honour
Thank you all for the input so far. Much appreciated. Does anyone have any further thoughts on the plate below?
It looks legal to me, however it is much shorter than usual. Is the below plate considered chav too by OCUK standards :)
Colour of the front plate isn't legal but apart from that it looks legal without being able to break out the ruler to check letter size and spacing.

Soldato
I've been through a few MOTs with no manufacturer details on plates. Im not sure what the point of them are, you could stick any address there and who is actually going to check.

Last edited:
Soldato

hwCwrbD.png

Tinted front, raised jelly mould style lettering and the back one just highlights the huge number plate recess buy having a tiny plate in it. A triple whammy of bad!

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with raised lettering apparently.

https://www.newreg.co.uk/blog/are-gel-number-plates-legal/

Some highly dubious statements in that link:

There can be no doubt that gel resin number plates can offer a more modern and stylish way to display your car’s reg, but are gel number plates legal?

I doubt that.

Well, the good news is that providing that they adhere to all the regulations outlined in the Motor Car Act, gel-style plates is perfectly legal to use.

"Motor Car Act"? That's a piece of primary legislation that doesn't exist...

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Grey area :)

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVLA/bulletins/2af0fc9
The new standard also requires that plates only display single shade black lettering, removing the ability to use different shades to produce 3D effects or highlighting.

The agency has not seen any evidence to show that number plates displaying raised plastic, acrylic or Perspex lettering (3D/4D plates) are able to meet the requirements of either the current or new the British Standard.

But neither the first or most recent plates are legal from the placement on the first to the design

Back
Top Bottom