Is this number plate legal?

Associate
Hi, hope everyone is well! Thread title really.

Is the below plate acceptable in the eyes of the law? From what I have read the placement seems okay, along with font, and colour. It is a smaller than standard plate though, but reading around apparently this is okay in some instances? Can anyone please clarify :)

4Oaa5ia.png

TS7

TS7

Soldato
The layout is not legal, no. Legally spaced it is 'X1 OAS'.

Whether you will actually have any issues i.e. being stopped and fined, highly unlikely.

Associate
It is a smaller than standard plate though, but reading around apparently this is okay in some instances? Can anyone please clarify :)
how is it acceptable in some instances? "off-road use only" kind of instances?

it either complies to the law or not...
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
  • spacing is wrong
  • you've admitted the size is wrong - text must be 79mm tall and 50mm wide (except 1 or i), line thickness 14mm, 11mm gap between letters, 33mm gap between the "X1" and "OAS" and 11mm margin around
  • can't see any manufacturer's info at the bottom
  • is it a sticker or a proper reflective plastic? if it's a sticker then is it reflective to the correct spec?
  • Needs to be mounted as close to vertically as possible (i think this is meaning the text has to be vertical), yours is on a diagonal

Man of Honour
how is it acceptable in some instances? "off-road use only" kind of instances?

I'm guessing he means that if you've got a shorter private plate you can have a smaller plate overall i.e. you don't need to have a massive plate if your reg is "X1" as you can fit that correctly spaced and in the correct size font on a much smaller physical plate.

Associate
I can't find it right now but I did see a video of a policeman explaining what makes them more likely to pull you over and a license plate like that was one of them.

Back
Top Bottom