is this overclock safe for an e8500?

Associate
Hello All,

Was board so I thought I would have a play. Got my E8500 running at 4.03ghz at 1.4v. Looked online and people seem to think 1.4v is ok for this. What are your thoughts on my overclock?

overclock.jpg

overclock-2.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Soldato
Temps seem fine to me, his cooler is OCZ Vendetta, says in his sig.

See if u can get it stable with lower vcore though, as thats allways best, if u have tried and thats the vcore u need, its fine..

Nothing you really do day to day will heat up the cpu as much as IBT can so no worries there.

Most agree 1.4 max for 24/7, unless your on custom water, iv had my E8400 running 80c on the cores max, whilst doing a short benching run, but that was with 1.55v.

I had to also go into the 1.3v range to hit 4ghz too, sad really as anything under could be easily done on 1.2 =(.

Nice overclock, and no need to worry about the temps there.

Caporegime
Most agree 1.4 max for 24/7, unless your on custom water, iv had my E8400 running 80c on the cores max, whilst doing a short benching run, but that was with 1.55v.

Nice overclock, and no need to worry about the temps there.
What clockspeed were you running with that mate, seems very extreme. even my old q6600 65nm chip only needed 1.512 for 3.8ghz. my last cpu (q9550) used 1.216vcore for 3.8ghz?:)

Soldato
Ah yeh should have said, was at 4.5ghz, probably could have gotten away with slightly less vcore with a few tweaks of vtt and stuff, but was just for a quick pi run. Boot up, run pi, screen shot, save, and then reverted back to 24/7 clocks.

Sadly my memory and mobo are holding me back now, well more the memory, no official support for 1066mhz =(.

These chips on decent cooling really fly.

@original poster
Its best to test with max memory setting in IBT, as it will test cpu, memory,and chipset stability, and realisiticly will give u a better load temp.

Because not a lot of stuff stress just the cpu,

Soldato
A true with 2 decent fans like tha apaches in push/pull would be a lot better then your current one.

So for £20 id say snap it up, just getting the fans for it will be like another 20 too.

Ah so it has to stay at that vcore, well no worries ur still safe with those temps, even more so if u get that true.

Associate
I think disabling some of the speedstep features and such in the bios might help your o/c stabilize if you are gunning for slightly higher clocks. Having the fsb drop down on idle can only cause problems the further you push the clocks.

As for the current clock the temps look fine and the voltage is fine, I personally wouldn't go past 1.4 after vdrop though.

Soldato
Think im gonna also say turn off speedstep too, iv been doing some testing last night as i was bored and could'nt sleep.

I was testing to see how low i could get my vcore for a stable overclock with and without speedstep. Cpu was at 3.6ghz so not at 4ghz like urs, but it might help you get a lower vcore on yours if u turn off speedstep and go from there.

With speedstep my lowest i could go with vcore was 1.2v.
With speedstep turned off i could boot up and prime blend stable at 1.12v, as in my sig.

Max core temps where 41c, max overall cpu temp was 46c. (temps where using Prime blend for overall stability, and not for maximum heat, IBT)

Give it a shot, might help you reduce ur vcore abit, but you won't know without trying.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I got my new True black 120 tonight with two xilence 120mm fans for £20. Gonna put this in tomorrow, see what temps are like and will have another play. I will have a go at turning my speedstep off and see what it will get me to. Worst case I will stick with it at 1.4v.

Soldato
So basically 1.4v is really max for a 45nm Wolfy? Not meant to hijack your thread ;)

Nah all depends on your cooling really, some will say never go over 1.4, but if ur cooling can handle it then there is'nt a problem really.

I quite often go over 1.4v for bench sessions, or when going for max clocks, will my cpu last the 40 so years its supposed to now? lol probably not, but not like id be keeping it that long anyways.

The volts won't kill your cpu, but the heat caused by the volts will, so if ur cooling can handle it there is no problem.

General rule of thumb is 1.4v max for air cooling, 1.4v-1.5v using custom water, and 1.5v + using tec or phase. These are all for 24/7 running.

Ofcourse for testing and benching that dos'nt really matter as its not for to long.

Associate
With the new cooler fitted can you take it any higher? Got my E8500 running at 4.4GHz with 1.4v. Took a bit more messing around and testing to get it stable but could quite easily get it to 4.2GHz with a good cooler :)

Back
Top Bottom