Is this possible? printer to open a till

Associate
Hi all hope this post is in the right section?
Ok a bit of a weird one maybe and im not even sure if this can be done.
Is there a way of opening a USB till via a printer or some other way?
Basically we have a new product inventory system that has a really bad EPOS system, there is a print button that will open up a print command to select the printer.
I was wondering if i can have a fake printer that actually sends a command like open till?

Hope someone may be able to pour some light onto this for me.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi sorry forgot to say, theres no epos software running on it at the moment it was sales stream.
Yes its a usb drawer and a use thermal printer but printer not worried about.
Im sure there is some kind of command that can be sent to simply open drawer. hopefully

Thanks

Associate
What is the model of the printer?

You should be able to send some "escape characters" to fire the attached draw.

Although, I've never used a USB Cash Drawer before, only ones with an RJ cable.

Soldato
The POS program or the printer actually needs to support the till in some way, such as actually recognising it and sending the right command to open it. Any idea what model the till is? There should be some documentation somewhere to help but it may not be possible from the sounds of it.

I'm IT support for a chain of restaurants and we have tills using 6P6C connected to an Epson printer, but the POS program we're using is pretty old and only sends the right command when the printer is connected via parallel/serial. When connecting via USB the open till command is different so had to do this to get it working.

Soldato
Look on the bottom of the till. Most tills have a leaver you press and the cash draw opens lol.

Or are you actually wanting to run software live to kick it open?

Or just use the key?
Not ideal in a shop with cash though. Keys can be left in by mistake; customers can press said lever/button.

Associate
OP
Hi all sorry been away going to drag this back to life again if ok..
So our Epsom receipt printer that had an rj11 port for the kick to the drawer is no good for us we need to us a 4" wide label, we have an Zebra LP 2844 thermal printer that has DB9/ Serial and USB on the back.
The drawer is a box standard RJ11 drawer, i was wondering if i can use a DB9 to RJ11 adapter?
I'm trying to find the pin outs of the RJ11 lead to see what the drawer actually needs to kick open.
Failing that i guess buying new hardware will just be easier?
At the end of the day a couple its not going to break the bank.

Thanks

Soldato
Having a look at that printer, it doesn't have the right connections for the till drawer. Looking at the manual shows there's no commands for any cash drawer either. All the connections at the back just seems to be for connecting to a PC.

How flexible is the POS software? One work around is to set up the Epson printer just to control the drawer, and maybe if the software offers it, set the drawer to the Epson and the labels to the Zebra.

Had a look on the Epson site but I can't see anything doing 4"/100mm wide, just mostly 80mm.

Back
Top Bottom