Is this the BT master socket?

Associate
Hi,

I've just completed on a house today and am due to move in tomorrow.

I spent ages looking for the BT master socket before realising it's literally in the floor in the middle of a 7m x 7m living room/kitchen.

6HEMbFn.png
I cannot for the life of me find any other socket so assume this is the only one.

I was planning on running ethernet to every room but have no idea how to do that neatly now.

What options do I have for potentially moving this?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
If that's an extension box would that imply there is the whatever it is extending from somewhere else? And is it just a case of unplugging the extension from it and then I can use it.

Also not sure how the phone line gets to the house, I will check tomorrow.

Thanks!

Soldato
If you have overhead phone cables it might be in the loft. Weird I know but since officially only BT are allowed to move them I've known people get BT to move them there so it's out of the way while a house is refurbished.

Associate
OP
If you have overhead phone cables it might be in the loft. Weird I know but since officially only BT are allowed to move them I've known people get BT to move them there so it's out of the way while a house is refurbished.

It's a ground floor flat so I assume it must be here somewhere. The floor that it is currently in the middle of was a new extension built by the previous owners.

We're not moving in properly til this evening but I was there this morning and have again searched from top to bottom and cannot find the master socket anywhere!

Associate
OP
I'm with Zen and when I spoke to them last week to move the broadband they checked and said there was a phone line there. It's due to be activated on Monday.

I've plugged the router in today and get this page
8DnCFjN_d.webp

I've done some googling but not sure if this is a good or bad sign.

I had a brief go and tracing the phone line and it seems to come in at the front of the house but will have a proper go later.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Associate
OP
That isn't a master socket.

Google images will show what they look like

What actually does it mean to be a master socket? As in what is this socket actually used for? Can I plug the router into it and expect it to work (one the broadband is activated)?

Soldato
A master socket is the termination point between the OR network and your property, it's the last part OR are officially responsible for and technically isn't your property. Extensions will look different, and as above google images will set you straight.

Soldato
A master socket is a phone socket that has a ring capacitor and a few other components attached to it. MK, for example, will sell you a master socket that'll work in place of a BT master socket (e.g. MK K422).

You obviously shouldn't replace BT's master socket with a random of your choice but it would work. That socket in the floor could be a master socket (no way of knowing without looking).

You've just got to hope that the previous occupant was sensible and didn't decide to DIY it.

Associate
OP
I tried tracing what seemed to be the wire, it went to a box that has been ripped off and from there I couldn't really tell.

IMG-20210129-121546.jpg

CZcYLRK3

I also plugged a landline phone into the socket and it worked and let me make calls so I assume this is good news and that the internet will be fine once it's switched on.

I've also asked the people we bought it from where the master socket is but no reply yet.

Soldato
Plug the phone back in and dial 17070 - this will read you back the telephone number on the line. You should know your number if you have activated broadband, so confirm it matches. Then it would look like someone has extended the master socket to this point to make it easier for them. We often have to do this for business customers as BT will install upto 5m from their DP and in some buildings this might not be anywhere near the customers actual office area. Usually we would stick a proper BT socket on the extended cabling, but as long as the pairs are good and the socket type is correct there is no reason why it has to look like a "real" BT master socket.

Associate
OP
The number doesn't match the one I see on my Zen profile (it has the new address) so I assume it's the previous phone number.

The broadband activates on Monday so hopefully should all be fine then.

That makes sense, I'm not exactly sure why the previous owner wanted it in the middle other the floor, unless they wanted to put the router under the sofa.

Not ideal at all for me if I can't find the socket as I want to run ethernet to every room and I don't even know how to get a cable to the wall in the current setup!

Back
Top Bottom