Is this the end of the British GP ?

Caporegime
No it won't be. Liberty and the BRDC will negotiate a new deal but Liberty know they need to be careful. Too cheap and other tracks will want a cheaper deal too. Too expensive and the BRDC won't be able to afford it. A deal will be struck though.

Caporegime
But any deal that Silverstone will agree to will be half the price any other track is paying.

As far as BRDC are concerned they are paying too much now let alone the price the existing contract means they will be paying in a few years time.

Personally I cannot see them coming to any agreement.

Soldato
What is Silverstone like these days? I went for the first time for an event over 20 years ago now, and was surprised at what a complete grothole it was. Fields for car parks, antiqued breeze block toilets and scaffolding grandstands. Makes you wonder what the BRDC are doing with their money.

Caporegime
What is Silverstone like these days? I went for the first time for an event over 20 years ago now, and was surprised at what a complete grothole it was. Fields for car parks, antiqued breeze block toilets and scaffolding grandstands. Makes you wonder what the BRDC are doing with their money.
What money? They're just about breaking even over the year and consistently run the GP at a considerable loss every year. The only income from the Grand Prix they get to keep is gate receipts and perhaps a cut or flat free from the catering providers. No TV money, no trackside advertising and paying for the privilege. It's a wonder they can survive at all considering every other race is bankrolled by local or national government.

Soldato

It's pretty much the same except they've spent a fortune on the Wing vanity project.

Soldato
What have they made money wise over the years though and also from other series? I don't mind Silverstone as a track to watch, but we have plenty of other tracks that make for just as exciting racing, if not better.

Soldato
Silverstone is shocking compared to Spa. Obviously the tracks are different, but the paths and general ambience gives the impression they thought of the fans rather than just getting bums on seats.
I've been to Silverstone many times, but imo the Wing was a big mistake that could have been something so much better.
Imo the BRDC only want to impress their rich chums.

Caporegime
What have they made money wise over the years though and also from other series? I don't mind Silverstone as a track to watch, but we have plenty of other tracks that make for just as exciting racing, if not better.
The other series and races, which unless it's BTCC, MotoGP or BSB get only a few thousand, sometimes only a few hundred spectators, subsidise the GP massively. As said, they run the GP at a loss and then make that money back from other events.

I've never been, but I will let you know my thoughts after next week. :)

Soldato
Have fun :) It seems a daft way of doing things.

It certainly shocked me, as I kid I grew up hearing of Silverstone in a kind of semi mythical status. I turned up and just found it was some patches of tarmac with very little else. It just made me wonder what the BRDC has been doing with it for years. If they had proper tarmac car parks they could do carboots, markets, small auto events etc. The circuit closest to me is Croft, which also looks ancient but we get bog all up here anyway, so it's half expected. It's not put on a pedestal like Silverstone is.

Man of Honour
We can hope.
Monaco to go next please...

Bring back Zandvoort, Aida, Nivelles, Kyalami, Istanbul, Estoril, Rio, Le Mans, Nevers, Zolder, Imola...

Last edited:
Caporegime
We can hope.
Monaco to go next please...

Bring back Zandvoort, Aida, Nivelles, Kyalami, Istanbul, Estoril, Rio, Le Mans, Nevers, Zolder, Imola...

Monaco is the only race to pay no hosting fees. It won't ever go.

Zandvoort isn't grade 1 anymore. Neither are any of the tracks you've mentioned except Istanbul (great circuit, no one came to watch it) and Imola.

Checking the FIA circuit list here Imola is still Grade 1, as is Istanbul Park. Le Mans is Grade 2 and they've only ever raced in F1 on the Bugatti circuit, described by Jim Clark as a 'mickey mouse circuit' too. The others aren't any more and would likely require millions to bring up to standard.

Caporegime
What money? They're just about breaking even over the year and consistently run the GP at a considerable loss every year. The only income from the Grand Prix they get to keep is gate receipts and perhaps a cut or flat free from the catering providers. No TV money, no trackside advertising and paying for the privilege. It's a wonder they can survive at all considering every other race is bankrolled by local or national government.

A huge number of businesses 'run at a loss' while in reality being profitable though.

Silverstone the track, whatever company that is could for instance bring in lets say 5mil in tickets and spend 2mil putting the show on, but if you contract out several third party companies to do it but have those charges be 5mil instead of 2mil.... if you own those companies you get the money anyway but you on the books have little to no profit. A lot of industries do that, just because a business says they run at a loss doesn't mean they really do. The American film industry, which is run actually very well and brings in tons of money with not many studios getting into any real issues, makes almost no profit on their films, but all the subcontracted companies make billions a year.

It's in any businesses best interest to pretend to be making as little money as possible in these situations so they can avoid a company, Liberty Media currently, from trying to get a bigger slice of the pie. I don't buy that Silverstone makes no money at the GP. Many other tracks make money, Silverstone has worse facilities, spends less money than most other tracks while also paying about 1/3rd of the fees of other tracks. It has good attendance and they rip you off for stuff while there just as any other event does. So it's either being horribly horribly mismanaged or the more realistic alternative is... they cook the books to make it look not profitable. IF it was actually not profitable they wouldn't do it, it's that simple.

V F

V F

Soldato
Monaco is the only race to pay no hosting fees. It won't ever go.

Zandvoort isn't grade 1 anymore. Neither are any of the tracks you've mentioned except Istanbul (great circuit, no one came to watch it) and Imola.

Checking the FIA circuit list here Imola is still Grade 1, as is Istanbul Park. Le Mans is Grade 2 and they've only ever raced in F1 on the Bugatti circuit, described by Jim Clark as a 'mickey mouse circuit' too. The others aren't any more and would likely require millions to bring up to standard.

With the fashion show on the Friday? You're so right. It'll always remain.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the question of Silverstone's future has been coming up around this time every year since the mid-2000s.
The race hasn't been lost yet, despite all the posturing, so I'm pretty confident it's not going anywhere, especially when you factor in that so many teams are based here.

I turned up and just found it was some patches of tarmac with very little else.

Silverstone has improved a fair amount over the last few years.

As somebody who used to go every year, I agree and disagree with that.

While access to the circuit was one of the most critical changes they made some years back now, I still spent eight hours stuck in a queue of traffic trying to get into the circuit in 2012. There hasn't been the level of rain since that year, but they had no contingency plan, they couldn't manage the roads and the traffic marshals were absolutely useless. It was such a farce that I was very close to never going to Silverstone again after that.

While they have made some cosmetic improvements around the circuit, I feel a lot of these aren't really something the average fan experiences. You can't go to the Wing unless you are on a VIP ticket; they've also built all the university/academy type buildings, but again this is no benefit to the race goer. I seem to remember back when they last secured a deal, before the Wing was built, there was talks of adding lots more improvements, entertainment, a hotel etc but none of that has come to fruition. The grandstands could also be a lot better; as they are mostly temporary structures, they tend to have lots of supports at the front of the covered ones, which get in the way of the view. The PA system is also antiquated and in need of upgrading.

In terms of track side entertainment for the fans, while they have done more with the stage, making it a festival-esque experience and started booking some known bands, I feel that in other areas there is less. In the 90s and 00s, pretty much every team had a stand, which usually had at least a car on it that you could go and see; they would typically have time slots where members of the team or drivers would come and do a talk. Additionally there were also other entertainment, such as when BMW had an arena track that had drivers doing spins, where you could then meet the drivers afterwards. For instance we met Sebastian Vettel, back before he started his F1 career.

I no longer feel like I need to go to Silverstone every year.

Soldato
I'm pretty confident it's not going anywhere, especially when you factor in that so many teams are based here.

Is that even important any longer? There's no longer any out of season testing allowed, and all the teams do use it for outside of the race calendar is an occasional 150 km 'filming day'. They can do that at any circuit.

Soldato
Is that even important any longer? There's no longer any out of season testing allowed, and all the teams do use it for outside of the race calendar is an occasional 150 km 'filming day'. They can do that at any circuit.

Yes, I think it's another point in defence of keeping the race, but it's just part of the puzzle.

Given how many of the teams are based in the UK, it's employing a lot of people.
The bigger picture though is that it's about history and Formula 1 owes a lot to Silverstone and the UK, both in terms of engineering and fans.
While under Bernie, the sport has been pushed into lots of new countries, while leaving behind some of those from the past. It's important that the sport keeps some of it's heritage and I'd like to think that Liberty are going to be more aware of that, rather than pursuing whichever "new" country wants a show piece with little following.

Back
Top Bottom