1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Israeli election: Netanyahu and Gantz both claim victory

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Evangelion, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Evangelion

Capodecina

Looks like Israel's latest election could end in a stalemate:

(Source).

If Netanyahu emerges as the winner (or succeeds in forming a coalition government) you can expect the Trump administration become a lot more hawkish about the Middle East. Netanyahu has already claimed responsibility for Trump's decision to declare Iran's Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organisation, publicly thanking him on Twitter.

2. Evangelion

Capodecina

BBC reporting that Netanyahu will be able to form a coalition government.

3. doodah

Capodecina

Annex of the West Bank this term to complete the set (embassy and Golan Heights), probably followed by another war. Bibi could shoot someone dead on 5th avenue and still win another term.

If they want to attack Iran, assume it would have to be before November next year.....

4. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Yep well done Israel for electing another far right grouping for leadership.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ears-on-track-for-victory-despite-tied-result
    At least we can still critisis Israel for heading even further to the far right without being called antisemitic. I think?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. doodah

Capodecina

Well we can add calling Stephen Miller a white nationalist to the list of antisemitic criticisms.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

I wonder how this will play out with Russia notionally supporting both Israel and Iran...

7. The Geezer

Wise Guy

They'll only ask one question "where's the money at ?"

8. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

and the US/Trump. Interesting indeed.
    Careful there. Some one might construe that as anti semitic. :p

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Israel is one of the best arguments against PR in national assembley elections as far as I’m concerned. Seems like every Government left or right in the last 20 years has relied on a clutch of basket cases to form a “working” government.

10. Evangelion

Capodecina

Annex the West Bank? I doubt it.

Israel doesn't want a war with Iran. That would serve no purpose.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. D.P.

Caporegime

I think it really just highlights the issues with the standard model of representivie democracy whereby there is always one+ parties in control of the country and an opposition faction that have no control and can only vote.

You always end up with 2 sides, fighting each other, blaming each other, and typically flip-flopping between center left and right (but could indeed flip flop between hard left and far right).

We really need to move more technocratic democracy so the government is run by a party or coalition. there is no opposition part. Experts in their domains should be in charge of departments. elected politicians are there to confer the specific concerns of their constituency and the country a whole, but to work with the export ministers so discuss best options. Democracy can be increased by more systematic polling to find specific concerns and desires of the populace, but this polling should only be used for informative purposes.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

I think government should be based on proportion, ie the ministers/leaders of departments are shared between other parties and it conforms to how well they did in the election, as such the leading group would be the spokesperson, but requires 60% agreement to push changes to legislation.

It would hopefully stop bad policies based entirely on political agenda. Israel isn’t really something we should be looking at as an example, it has extreme issues.

Though I suppose this would just lead to ‘porking’, rather than compromise.

13. dowie

Caporegime

Surely they don't want to annex the West Bank, they'd inherit a rather large Palestinian population and they are a democracy....

IIRC they might well annex some of the larger settlements.

14. Amp34

Caporegime

The issue with annexing the West Bank is that it comes with a lot of baggage. 2.5 million pieces in fact. I guess the solution would be to annex 95% of it and force the Palestinians into the 5%, then build a wall around it and turn it into Gaza Mk2.

Unfortunately most of his party and allies wouldn’t allow them to become Israeli as that would pollute the apartheid state they are creating. Israeli arabs are also much less likely to vote for that block too.

Therein lies the problem with the one state solution, and is probably one of the main reasons the annexation hasn’t happened yet, and why the slow annexation by settlement seems to be the preferred option.

Let’s hope he gets charged and sentenced for the corruption charges he faces. He, and his alliance are one of the major barriers to peace in the region.

Edit: looks like Dowie beat me to it...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  15. Evangelion

Capodecina

They'd need an Egyptian border to turn it into Gaza Mk 2. You know, that border Egypt refuses to open, but Israel gets blamed for.

16. Amp34

Caporegime

What does that have to do with Netanyahu, or the policies of the Israeli government?

17. Evangelion

Capodecina

Quite a lot, because pro-Palestinian activists claim that Netanyahu's policies have resulted in Gaza being completely locked down on all sides, but one of those sides isn't even under his control; it's managed by Egypt. So the accusation is nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what you said here:

But some of the hysteria around this issue needs to be called out for what it is.