IT REALLY annoys me!!!!!

Caporegime
Why o why do petrol stations ask you to remove your helmet when filling up?"Pump number 4 can you please remove your helmet" i heard over the tannoy,NO i dont want to remove my helmet,last week you served me just fine,one im an ugly munter and two i cant be ar$sed trying to juggle a pump nozzle and a helmet and three im all warm and cosy inside my helmet

Whats the most im gonna ride off with anyway? £7 in petrol!!! WoW call the cops,crime in progress!!

Maybe if i wore a burkah id get served no problems? Well wearing a helmet is my religion too!!

Whats your thoughts??

Last edited:
Soldato
Never been asked to remove my helmet at a petrol station before. I have been asked to at shops, fair enough. So can't really comment, annoying but not the end of the world.

Associate
If they do it to me before I have started filling up I just drop the pump on the floor and ride off.

I like to use Tesco pay at pump whenever I can, don't have to deal with this crap then.

Associate
Leave your keys with the cashier? I'd never do that.

Or ask them, Do you think i'm going to steal £7 of fuel?

Or use the automated pumps at Tesco.

Associate
It's a legal requirement that the petrol station attendant/cashier should check that the person using the pump to fill their vehicle is of the required age.

If the cashier cannot verify that the person looks over the legal age (due to wearing a helmet) then they can refuse to serve you fuel.

Don't blame the cashier for doing their jobs folks, they're the ones that'll get into the big heap of **** when a 14 yr old, nicks a bike, puts some fuel in it and then kills themselves or worse others.

10 seconds to remove your helmet, is it really that hard? :rolleyes:

People really need to think outside the box sometimes...

Caporegime
OP
It's a legal requirement that the petrol station attendant/cashier should check that the person using the pump to fill their vehicle is of the required age.

If the cashier cannot verify that the person looks over the legal age (due to wearing a helmet) then they can refuse to serve you fuel.

Don't blame the cashier for doing their jobs folks, they're the ones that'll get into the big heap of **** when a 14 yr old, nicks a bike, puts some fuel in it and then kills themselves or worse others.

oh i forgot howmany 14yr old zx10 riders there are,why dont they ask the asians to remove there burkhas then?mines a flip up helmet anyway

thats besides watching me turn off the ignition with a key and open the fuel cap with a key

Last edited:
Associate
^^ not many 14yo's are over 6ft tall and ride a big green bike.

Also.. it may only take 10 seconds to remove my helmet but when you have a bike that has an alarm and you try to fill up before it arms it's self again, that is 10secs to long :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a royal pain having to take your helmet off when filling up. You are left with a choice of either putting it on the ground, on top of the filthy pump or balancing it somewhere on the bike. I'm sorry, but none of those options are going to happen as I like to minimise the risk of dropping or getting filthy my £400 lid.
I also ride with earphones in and the act of removing my lid means it takes forever to put it back on properly.

If I get asked to remove it I replace the pump handle and ride to the next petrol station.

I got into a long running email argument with Morrisons about this as I was told to remove my helmet after paying at the pump for fuel. I was hardly going to ride off without paying now, was I?
At first they claimed it was theft reduction, then to minimise threats to their staff. Neither are an issue when you use pay at the pump.

Associate
^^ not many 14yo's are over 6ft tall and ride a big green bike.

Also.. it may only take 10 seconds to remove my helmet but when you have a bike that has an alarm and you try to fill up before it arms it's self again, that is 10secs to long :p

It was an example of why, not the only reason, it could be a scooter, but people do take things literally around here.

It's there for a reason & a bloody good one but people are too blind to see it or believe as it's an inconvenience to them. Boo-****ing-hoo.

If that cashier gets into **** 'cos of just one instance they let slip by, you're not going to be the one worrying about them losing their jobs are you? :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not a cashier or have ever worked in a petrol station.

Associate
So now it gets turned around into a religious thing?

Doesn't matter who it is, whether it's a helmet or veil, if the cashier cannot verify the age, which is what the original post was all about, they will not be served.

Facepalm? - grow up ffs

Associate
Are you a biker out of interest?

And no, i'm not turning it into a religious thing, that was just one example. But i'd be willing to bet my mortgage that they would not ask them to remove their head gear where as they would a biker, that is all.

I'm perfectly grown up thank you :)

Caporegime
OP
ive seen muslims with burkahs get served,seen articles in bike mags about the subject too,and its not like were filling up with £100 of fuel is it? plus all the cctv ect so why all the fuss? just stop nannying around and turn on the pumps!!!

Man of Honour

He is right tho - it is a legal requirement and they - not just the company but the specific employee and even his/her supervisor/manager - can be fined, etc. by trading standards if they don't check.

Soldato
He is right tho - it is a legal requirement and they - not just the company but the specific employee and even his/her supervisor/manager - can be fined, etc. by trading standards if they don't check.

Makes you wonder how the thousands of petrol stations around the country that don't ask you to remove a lid get by then.

If it were that serious an issue, the vast majority of petrol stations would require you to remove it. The fact that they don't speaks volumes about the idiocy of those that do.

Back
Top Bottom