It should not be this hard to buy a phone in 2021

Soldato
This is crazy.

I just want a good quality, mid to high end phone that will last a few years.

I dont want a premium top of the range monster. But i want a decent camera that takes good low light shots. I want decent non bloated software. I want good battery life for when Im out walking for full days on the mountains.

95% of phones are just far too big. Why would people want phones this big. They are idiots.

The 5% normal person sized phones that are left are not 'mid to high end' and have too many flaws, either cameras battery life or software.

So it basically leaves the iphone 12 or the pixel 5. Both soon to be replaced with larger models no doubt.

The iphone 12 is expensive and I prefer the cheaper build of the pixel 5. But the cameras are better on the 12 and its a more powerful hardware where the 5 has been skimped a bit there.

I wont be able to benefit from wireless charging because I always buy a leather style wallet case for my phones and I don't have a 5G tariff either.

Why cant they just make a good quality mid to high end phone that isn't the size of my shoes???

Soldato
OP
I would rather spend around £500 hence my desire for something mid to high end not ultra premium.

The IPhone 12 for example is £740 on the rainforest. That is (in my view) an ultra premium phone. So I would expect what Im looking for to be a couple hundred cheaper than this.

I feel the Pixel 5 is a little overpriced when compared to the IPhone 12 considering a) its EOL, b) its a middling spec.

I do like the sound of the Asus Zenfone 8 actually, but a little concerned over battery life and the phone is still nearly £600 which is not that far below the IPhone 12. But I also can't find it for sale.

Soldato
The iPhone 12 Mini 128gb is £579 on Amazon today if you're looking for a compact phone. The battery life is not as bad as people make out.

And what's wrong with the Galaxy S21? Sure its RRP is over your ideal budget, but nobody pays full whack for a Samsung. Wait for one of the inevitable sales where they offer £200 trade in for any old Android as well as 15% off, and there's your phone right there. Samsung's one-handed mode is also far and away the best out of any I've used.

Soldato
OP
Ive had Samsungs a lot over the years and its the bloat that I dont like about them. Reviews suggest that is still an issue on Samsungs.

Might just go for Pixel 4a but Im not sure about the battery and the specs even though reviews have it as decent.

Soldato
Ive had Samsungs a lot over the years and its the bloat that I dont like about them.

'Bloat' is overrated as an issue in my opinion. Sure enough I don't like a device preloaded with multiple stores, Facebook, Netflix etc, but you can disable most/all of those and in reality they aren't taking up more than a fraction of your available storage. But yeah, they're still there on your device.

If you keep your phones for a few years, consider spending the extra for an iPhone 12. You'll recoup some of the extra up front cost if you ever sell it, because they hold their value well, and it'll get day 1 updates for the next five or more years. I have an iPhone 6s and it will receive iOS 15, plus it's still perfectly usable as a phone. Of course Apple are about to implement on-device scanning for naughty things you might have stashed, so if big tech invasion of privacy is an issue for you, stick with Android.

Soldato
OP
You won't get much better than a Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra for around £500.

Far too big.

'Bloat' is overrated as an issue in my opinion. Sure enough I don't like a device preloaded with multiple stores, Facebook, Netflix etc, but you can disable most/all of those and in reality they aren't taking up more than a fraction of your available storage. But yeah, they're still there on your device.

If you keep your phones for a few years, consider spending the extra for an iPhone 12. You'll recoup some of the extra up front cost if you ever sell it, because they hold their value well, and it'll get day 1 updates for the next five or more years. I have an iPhone 6s and it will receive iOS 15, plus it's still perfectly usable as a phone. Of course Apple are about to implement on-device scanning for naughty things you might have stashed, so if big tech invasion of privacy is an issue for you, stick with Android.

The decent Samsung phones are all a bit big anyway. The IPhone 12 is the absolute biggest I want to go. At the same time, the 12 mini seems too closely priced to the 12 so I may as well go for the 12.

I get what you're saying about the IPhone. Whilst I can spend £750, its really got to be justifiable and the 12 doesn't have a high refresh screen nor the telephoto camera so in my mind it still has compromises at that price.

When there are compromises even on the premium level products then it makes me think sod it I'll just go cheap.

Soldato
Sony 5 ii? It's £599 at the mo, but has been lower (£550 that I'm aware of). While it has a 6.1" screen it's actually quite tall and narrow, which might suit you for reachability. Buy from Amazon and send it back if you don't like it. To be fair, I think it's only a good device rather than a great one.

Soldato
Pixel 5 has great camera? It's comparable to 12 if not better in many situations. I've got one and it's great. The wireless charging should work with leather case and the performance is very fine. I rarely if ever see mine slow down. Coming from high end phone I only find storage slower but other than that it flies through everything and is snappy. Just buy a used one off eBay and be done with it. I bought one for £440 unopened.

Soldato
Isn't the battery life of the 12mini abysmal?

nope.

i have one. Use it all the time ive never thought the battery is bad or small at all. Came from an XS.
Charges really quickly too

I see op has got a phone but the 12 mini is really light far lighter than the 12, great camera, excellent size for pockets etc ios so great os no rubbish and its not super expensive. Sure no hfr screen but really, who cares?

Soldato
Iphone SE 2020 is a good choice. Perfect size for me, as like yourself I can't stand massive phones, they just look silly

The OP did say he wanted good battery life and good low light photographs, neither of which the SE offers. And he's already ordered a Pixel 4a.

Back
Top Bottom