IT Support - training courses.

Soldato
Hi all,

If someone did not have any formal experience in IT what would you recommend as a route into a 1st line support role? I have seen courses advertised with Computeach and other providers offering CompTIA A+ etc, would anyone recommend a provider, preferably one which could be completed as distance learning? Thanks for any advice :)

Caporegime
I'd suggest that paying for training like that when you could read the relevant book/website yourself is a bit pointless. I'm not sure there are any really tough concepts or hard to implement things at that level where an academic or experienced practitioner who can answer questions would be useful.

Caporegime
For first line support you just need to be keen and good at logical problem solving (diagnosing really) and accurate at taking notes. I can't help thinking that a course aimed at getting you ready for first line duties is a bit of a waste of cash.

Soldato
Hi all,

If someone did not have any formal experience in IT what would you recommend as a route into a 1st line support role? I have seen courses advertised with Computeach and other providers offering CompTIA A+ etc, would anyone recommend a provider, preferably one which could be completed as distance learning? Thanks for any advice :)

Dont bother wasting money on a course. Get the relevant material and self study then book yourself an exam on what you are studying.

That's what I am doing for my MSCA.

Soldato
those courses usually aren't that good, but if your mind is set on them then have a look on groupon - they are usually on there for peanuts, 20-30 quid so quite often cheaper than text books/study material etc.

Associate
You are better off focusing on your interviewing skills and creating a better CV. 1st Line is 50-60% process driven and they will focus on the person rather than if you paid to attend a course.

Soldato
Hi all,

https://www.justit.co.uk/

I hate to pimp companies like this, but if you have the cash, they will get you a job. I know multiple people that got into roles in support and in coding via these guys. They got me my second IT job. They do basic training, see you through the exams, interview technique etc. I was living in Brighton at the time and commuted to town for a few weeks, got an interview straight after and job done. We've since recruited from them.

Otherwise, a few courses (more to show you're keen than anything) like Comptia A+ and N+ and some MS server support and then hit every first line job you can find.

Soldato
https://www.justit.co.uk/

I hate to pimp companies like this, but if you have the cash, they will get you a job. I know multiple people that got into roles in support and in coding via these guys. They got me my second IT job. They do basic training, see you through the exams, interview technique etc. I was living in Brighton at the time and commuted to town for a few weeks, got an interview straight after and job done. We've since recruited from them.

Otherwise, a few courses (more to show you're keen than anything) like Comptia A+ and N+ and some MS server support and then hit every first line job you can find.

This.

I too after graduating from uni went and did the training with Just IT.

My issue was my degree was in Politics & Sociology (I did a Masters in IT) and I didn't have any experience in IT.

It was expensive 5k I think. But.... you get out of it what you put in. You do some core MCSA modules, a basic Linux intro, Cisco CCNA and Comptia A+.

If you put the effort in and study hard it will work for you. They give you interview prep and advice and sort out your CV. They also go and find you internships and work placements so it's not just a money grabbing fad.

Or at least it wasn't when I did it back in 2005.

Soldato
Honestly and truthfully having spent a couple years on first line seriously any monkey whos ever used a pc could do it. In my experience quite simply the best thing to work on is patience and customer service.

To paraphrase the plus.net advert, if you can spend all day everyday talking the same double figure iq idiots through what a mouse and keyboard are, how the google search bar is not the address bar and that yes the printer has to be turned on with ink and paper in it for it to print without sounding like an arrogant, tired, ****ed off jerk then you will probably do ok

Associate
Honestly and truthfully having spent a couple years on first line seriously any monkey whos ever used a pc could do it. In my experience quite simply the best thing to work on is patience and customer service.

To paraphrase the plus.net advert, if you can spend all day everyday talking the same double figure iq idiots through what a mouse and keyboard are, how the google search bar is not the address bar and that yes the printer has to be turned on with ink and paper in it for it to print without sounding like an arrogant, tired, ****ed off jerk then you will probably do ok

And this is why I no longer work in IT :)

Good luck op

Caporegime
This isn't meant as an insult, but doing first line support isn't really "working in IT" any more than answering phones for the AA is being a mechanic. If you want to work in this field then don't be put off by people's tales of awful first line jobs. If you can string a sentence together and are slightly inquisitive then you should bounce out to something else inside a year.

Soldato
OP
Haha! Thanks for the heads up guys, I intend to use it as a stepping stone and will likely study in my evenings for an IT & computing degree.

I've been watching through the professor messer videos to gain an understanding and whilst it is all simple content there is certainly a breadth of it to take in.

Man of Honour
If you're talking about Professor Messer's Comptia A+ videos, then yeah it will feel very broad. Comptia A+ is a mile wide, but an inch deep, so a lot of the time you're required to know what something is, but not necessarily how it really works. I do dislike the fact that it resorts to being not much more than a memory exercise at times, but at the level it's at there's isn't really a better assessment method.

I personally believe that although it really is "baby's first cert" it acts as a decent leveller for new entrants to IT or those who are experienced but have never taken a cert exam so are unsure about self study and the structure of the tests. For new entrants it forces you to at least have an appreciation of areas that you wouldn't have otherwise, something that's quite handy in the workplace when a problem comes up and you happen to know how to start solving it off the top of your head, and it can save you from looking dumb when you have never even heard of something someone's talking about. For people with any real experience the questions will likely be quite easy, which takes the stress out of getting used to self study, and means you can focus on the "getting a cert" experience without having to the hard bit, learning something you're unfamiliar with :p

Last edited:
Associate
I too am applying for anything IT Support related. I don't have any formal IT qualifications either. But not once have I seen Comptia A+ mentioned in the hundreds of job advertisements I've come across.

I haven't had any luck for almost a month now applying to those types of jobs which is extremely depressing as I know I'm capable of doing the job.

I've been applying for IT Support, 1st Line Support, IT Technician, Helpdesk and anything else along those lines.

So now I'm thinking I might aswell just do the Comptia A+ because nothing else is working right now!

I thought getting the most entry level IT job would happen by now :(

Back
Top Bottom