It was inevitable, spec me a car - i'm open to anything!

Soldato
Well after my calamity, i suppose i should be looking for another car! However, i haven't a clue what i want, i'd love another A6 again, but i want to lower my budget for a while as it's nice not having any finance to pay lol.

The only things i would like is a nice interior, ideally with leather and navigation built in. Petrol or diesel i don't mind tbh, i'm still doing quite some mileage. I'd like a bit of power again this time i think though. The 2.0tdi wasn't very quick as expected, not that it bothered me! Budget around £5k but will go either way. Throw me some curve balls. I Might even try a Lexus IS200/220D because they fit in my budget, are well specced and i still have a soft spot for them. I also still like the A3 sportback, even though it is getting on now lol.

Soldato
The IS200 is the original one, straight six petrol like my old one and drinks fuel, the 200d is much newer so you'd be talking 220d.

I just looked for similar money, the 220d wasn't comfortably in the budget so I'd be worried about ropey ones.

My recent venture looking for something along those lines. Audi a3/a4, you're talking about a 2005ish car, 2.0tdi probably. Nicely built and solid reliability but pretty dull IMO.

The rest of the VAG range is similar - the new shape Octavia is a great car if you're not looking for anything too interesting.

The Alfa 159 is a stunning lump of metal and you'd be talking about a 2007ish car for that. The 2.4jtd is tempting but isn't great on fuel and some people say a Cambelt change is an engine out job! Reliability not as bad as some might assume but it seems if you get a bad one, you get a really bad one. Same as above for the GT but an older platform (156 based)

I ended up with a 58 Saab 93 twin turbo diesel - cracking economy, nice power delivery, nice spec, supposedly reliable and a bit different.

Soldato
Hi Mate,

Could possibly get a 1.8t A4 in budget if you want to keep with Audi? Or you could look at the BMW alternatives?

Soldato
More serious reply time.

The IS250 is a nice car but it's not very quick, I don't really mind the IS220d but accept that it kinda goes against the whole point of owning a Lexus - not sure you're anywhere near the budget for a decent one though.

There's nothing really wrong with the A3 if you like them, at least you wouldn't be spending big money on it which is what bothers me about the age of the design compared to asking price of more recent cars. What engine would you be hoping to get though? not sure the tfsi is in budget, I personally wouldn't want a 2.0tdi and the V6 whilst a cracking engine may be too thirsty for your needs. Could you pick up an A4 2.0tfsi for anything like the budget?

E39 with the right interior combo might be a shout, finding a good one could be a challenge though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
haha i expected the boat replies :p

I was looking at This one yesterday, it's EXACTLY the same spec as my old A3, right down to the colour of the interior and i loved it, however, i'm not sure whether it's a little overpriced for a 2005 car. I'd also be concerned about having DSG again - as much as i loved it, it's expensive if it breaks. Saying that, i'd have loved my old car back, even now.

Soldato
I wouldn't want DSG either for the same reason, particularly an early car though it may be worth chatting to the seller about what has gone wrong with it in the past (if anything) and judging from there.

Looks like you get more A4 for your money in tfsi form, a nice manual avant would tempt me

Soldato
haha i expected the boat replies :p

I was looking at This one yesterday, it's EXACTLY the same spec as my old A3, right down to the colour of the interior and i loved it, however, i'm not sure whether it's a little overpriced for a 2005 car. I'd also be concerned about having DSG again - as much as i loved it, it's expensive if it breaks. Saying that, i'd have loved my old car back, even now.

I wouldn't buy that one, with the colour of those seats and carpets you won't notice the next time it fills with water!

;)

Sorry

Caporegime
I'd just get another A6 personally. I know you say you want to be finance free, but surely the difference between what it would cost you to replace your A6 like-for-like and the 5k your budget stands at, isn't enough to worry about over three years ownership, especially for the nice large barge-a-thon experience that the A6 provides. Unless you think it'll make you drive into the sea or something next time.

Soldato
Not sure about that, lets say he spends £9k on a new car and has to finance £4k of that. The maximum period of time you'd want to pay off £4k over is 2 years at (for talking sake) £190 per calendar month, that will pay for a good bit of fuel, tyres etc over a year or a few nights out / money in the bank etc.

Soldato
OP
Ive decided to increase my budget now to around 8k and i have decided i am going to go for what Ive wanted for years, a 2.0tfsi audi A4 cabriolet. I guess now is a good time to buy with it being winter. Ive seen a few facelift 06/56 plate models which are pretty well specced within my adjusted budget too. Watch this space.. Lol

Soldato
Interesting choice, have you driven one? I didn't care much for the v6 I drove. Didn't feel nimble, quick or particularly special and had a good bit of scuttle shake. It was an early one though maybe they were tweaked, I also think the tfsi would suit the cars character better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom