Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2019, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2019 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
R317mC4.png
Monza
When was the track built?
Constructed in just 110 days in 1922, the Autodromo Nazionale Monza was the world’s third purpose-built race track, coming after Brooklands in the UK and Indianapolis in the US. Like those two tracks, the original circuit featured a daunting series of banked curves, as well as much of the ‘outfield’ section that’s still in use today.
When was its first Grand Prix?
Monza opened its doors on September 3 1922, just a week before it hosted that year’s Italian Grand Prix. It was then part of the original Formula 1 calendar in 1950, and has held the Italian Grand Prix every year bar one since.
What’s the circuit like?
Rapido! Formula 1’s fastest ever lap was set at Monza – Williams driver Juan Pablo Montoya’s 260.6km/h effort during practice for the 2004 Grand Prix – which should give you some idea of the nature of the track the locals call ‘La Pista Magica’. Cars are on full throttle for 80% of the lap, and hit their Vmax on the circuit’s 1.1km start/finish straight. From there, they roar off into the historic park section, where a series of big stops into tight chicanes give the brakes a good workout.
Why go?
The parkland setting of Monza, located just to the north east of Italy’s fashion capital Milan, makes for a relaxed, leafy setting for a Grand Prix, while the preserved Monza banking – spot it in the background as the cars exit the Parabolica, as well as on the flyover bridge they pass under en route to the Variante Ascari – leaves you in no doubt that you’re in the presence of a very special race track.
Where is the best place to watch?
Aim for the grandstand at the Variante del Rettifilo to witness the awesome spectacle of cars braking from around 350km/h to just 70km/h before negotiating the tight chicane. This is also one of the track’s best overtaking spots, as well as a magnet for first-lap tussles.

TV Times
Sky:
SURUzCe.png
C4:
Saturday - 6.30pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 7pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
y7grt1g.png

Weather Forecast
Hs29S1g.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...talian-grand-prix.4CUKmhvxvWMOewu0UUC0E4.html

WDC Standings
0dXqaLK.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
wxZzM6d.png

Practice 1
6KwFsO5.png

Practice 2
jhKYxVG.png

Practice 3
6cfkUEQ.png

Qualifying
H2ztndp.png

Race
FcKYoVO.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the thread Shimmy.

Also, I hate to be *that* guy, but the fastest ever lap is now held by Raikkonen. He broke Montoya's record around here last year.

Looks like Formula1.com haven't changed their blurb for a couple years :p I just C&P from there for every race.

Man of Honour
It was a brilliant race last year.

Small chance of rain for the race and a higher chance of rain in practice making setups a bit less optimised. Probably Vettel's last chance to win this year, so expecting him to push hard. After this race it'll be back to Mercedes domination, their race pace and cornering speed is phenomenal.

Soldato
Do Ferrari really have amazing straight line pace, or was it just that Merc had more wing on at Spa? Their sector 2 times were immense compared to the Ferrari, so they were definitely sacrificing some top end. I think there's not as much absolute straight line performance difference as some people are making out.

Soldato
Cheers @Shimmy
I do love the annual tifosi pilgrimage. The self-proclaimed best fans in the world of the claimed best team in the world normally ends with the fans letting themselves down yet again in some way and the race being a pivotal one in the season where everyone Ferrari related can suddenly have that more honest appraisal that the team isn't actually doing very well.

Will this year be different? Let's see.

I'd quite like to see the Haas team attempt to give their drivers instructions to slip stream for each other for qualifying. That would be fantastic to watch.

Soldato
There will be riots in Italy if the two trick track ponies don't get a 1-2 at Monza, but at least a wet race might mean that Leclerk doesn't lap the rest of the field up to Vettel.

Soldato
Do Ferrari really have amazing straight line pace, or was it just that Merc had more wing on at Spa? Their sector 2 times were immense compared to the Ferrari, so they were definitely sacrificing some top end. I think there's not as much absolute straight line performance difference as some people are making out.
I think they do, it may not be as dramatic as what's been reported because I think Merc detuned the engines after Perez and Kubica's failures. But Ferrari appear to have a significant trick when it comes to deploying their boost, not only more of it but how long it appears to last.

Permabanned
There will be riots in Italy if the two trick track ponies don't get a 1-2 at Monza, but at least a wet race might mean that Leclerk doesn't lap the rest of the field up to Vettel.

Ferrari were fast in Bahrain, Canada, Austria, Germany, Belgium and now expected in Italy. There are also more circuits to come and one can never know.
So, "two track ponies" is rather disrespectful and dishonest rudeism.

Man of Honour
I think they do, it may not be as dramatic as what's been reported because I think Merc detuned the engines after Perez and Kubica's failures. But Ferrari appear to have a significant trick when it comes to deploying their boost, not only more of it but how long it appears to last.

Previously it has always compromised ferrari at the end of the season. It has been notable for the last 1-2 years how they seem to turn everything down at the end of the season. Ferrari are ahead on the straights, but barely and they are nowhere on corners. A bizarre design philosophy.

Permabanned
Previously it has always compromised ferrari at the end of the season. It has been notable for the last 1-2 years how they seem to turn everything down at the end of the season. Ferrari are ahead on the straights, but barely and they are nowhere on corners. A bizarre design philosophy.

Ferrari's performance went downwards when FIA decided to limit the in-season tests. Ferrari had previously relied on tests on their circuit - Fiorano.
Previously, they were very strong on the slow circuits like Monaco and Hungaroring, today it's the opposite - they are weak there and very strong on the fastest circuits in the calendar.

Obviously, there should be compromises in one or the other direction.

Man of Honour
Ferrari's performance went downwards when FIA decided to limit the in-season tests. Ferrari had previously relied on tests on their circuit - Fiorano.
Previously, they were very strong on the slow circuits like Monaco and Hungaroring, today it's the opposite - they are weak there and very strong on the fastest circuits in the calendar.

Obviously, there should be compromises in one or the other direction.

All corners are a pretty big compromise though.

Back
Top Bottom