1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam62, 23 Sep 2021.

1. mikeo

Mobster

Our local (very rural) petrol station was mobbed this morning when I went down for my newspaper. Normally you would be lucky (even on a Saturday morning) to see more than a couple of cars getting fuel. Madness.
    The lass behind the counter kept trying to point out to folks, that their supplier isn't even effected by the current issue with a shortage of lorry drivers. So deliveries are coming as normal. But the petrol shortage will
    almost certainly become a self fulfilling prophecy. Got to laugh at all the lemmings I suppose.

2. 2004typer

Wise Guy

Scummy fuel station near me boosted prices by around 15p litre.

3. sanaxe1

Soldato

Local taxi firm has stopped operating as they are unable to get fuel and/or spending too much time queing that it's not viable.

4. robj20

Capodecina

What so id have to visit 3 stations to fill up, stupid idea.

5. JBeck

Mobster

It'll all sell anyway won't it? Maybe they do care that everyone has atleast some fuel instead of those having loads and some having none, how do you know if they care or not?

6. Stumble Bum

Mobster

The media started all this, nothing to do with Boris.... but you know, any opportunity to get a pop shot in huh?

7. WoZZeR

Wise Guy

I waited for half an hour to get out of Garrick Road on the A5 at Hendon in my artic today, the junction is opposite a petrol station and the queues of cars were completely blocking the road. I finally managed to squeeze out but not a single motorist was prepared to risk losing a place in the queue or even to leave the 'keep clear' box empty to make way for my exit. An Aldi lorry on the A5 was completely stuck as well. A couple of work mates have had much longer delays elsewhere. Lots of driver hours wasted leading to late deliveries and emptier shelves.

8. LOAM

Capodecina

9. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

There would need to be a police officer present or there would be fisticuffs. Was nearly a scuffle at the place I was at last night someone was blocking the road trying to cut in and jump the queue police did actually show up at one point and told them to move

10. Tomsk

Soldato

We just need more gas stations

11. dLockers

Sgarrista

Cross post from the Motors sub-forum. Great video on electric cars whilst petrol is the topic of the day.

12. cheesefest

Hitman

Media should be ashamed of causing all of this. Only a handful of PS were empty on Thursday, yet they thought it was everywhere. Haven’t they learnt lessons from the loo roll gate and empty shelves?

Seeing empty shelves etc always produces panic buying and idiots with no intelligence to escape outside.

One of the posts doing the rounds on social media is about will panic buyers panic buy condoms as we don’t want them to breed idiots!

13. AiiR

Mobster

Always the same with the media, didn't the media circus around Northern Rock cause everyone to panic and withdraw all their cash?

14. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

‘Petrol shortage’ yet people keeping posting about tankers making deliveries. Another load of cars start queuing again. Are people truly this stupid?

15. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Our local Tesco was out this morning, all the rural stations in the middle of nowhere had huge queues and were down to just super if they stocked it by the afternoon.

On my way back into our local town I saw a tanker had just pulled into Tesco and the guy had not even got out of his cab and cars were already forming a queue behind it. My neighbour came home 10 mins after me and she said the queue had now blocked the road and it was gridlock. The tanker hadn't even started unloading yet... utter madness.

Still got >1/3 of a tank which is 200 miles when driven sensibly, I'm fine for another 3 weeks based on my current plans.

16. builder22

Mobster

I can't believe people are trying to sell fuel on Facebook :o

17. cheesefest

Hitman

It takes many minutes to fill the tanks under the forecourt. Size of petrol station will affect. Plus maybe some safety checks etc

18. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Local little crappy Texaco had a massive queue just now, onto a roundabout on the A1…. Quite remarkable.

We have about a 3rd of a tank of fuel in the car, should last us a few more days.

19. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

I'm and electric car driver so no issue for me :smug:

What i have noticed however is how many petrol stations back on to roundabouts, and how much of a disaster that is when the entire Country loses its mind.

20. SpeedFreak

Soldato

Noticed similar. Queuing onto a dual carriageway in North Bristol which seemed a bit crazy.