• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It's Official: AMD Confirms Hexa-Core Thuban CPU

Caporegime
WHy does anyone care about stock performance, obviously you stick 6 45nm cores in compared to 4 45nm cores, the 6 will use more power, so to hit the same TDP for shipping and stock numbers the cores will have to be clocked lower. Who here really cares, the fact is with decent cooling and a chunk of overclocking theres very little reason it can't overclock as well or almost as well as a quad, just with a higher TDP, which if you want max performance and overclock who the hell cares about frankly.

THe thing is we are slowly moving to better multithreading support, as for gaming, DX11 should really help out with that with far better native support for multithreading. But considering a 3Ghz dual core cpu maxes out 98% of games anyway and a 3.2Ghz quad can stop basically any game being cpu limited, would you really upgrade for gaming when the upgrade offers you nothing?

A stock P2 matches a highly overclocked I7 in gaming, a highly overclocked P2 matches a stock I7 in gaming, gaming simply isn't cpu limited and neither of those cpu's clocked or stock, is lacking the cpu power for gaming at all.

Man of Honour
Yes, but you can`t say just because you saw a review of there 6-core server chip and it wasn`t very fast, so there desktop version will also be slow as well.

It is likely though, unless they are planning on introducing some dramatic tech in between the two launches. Just adding more cores doesn't mean more performance, especially if you have to clock them down to stay within the TDP envelope, and don't provide a means to utilise all the cores, or to power up the other cores to faster speeds if some of the cores are out of action (See Nehalem's turbo feature for an example) to speed up the performance.

Writing multithreaded programs with multiple separate threads is not an easy task, and indeed some programs (especially games) can't be multithreaded to that degree, certainly not without massively increasing development costs.

Associate
What language is this?
Can someone translate for me, please.

my apology sir, let me write it properly, as i can see a lot of people dont understand me, sorry :( , i wanted to say that
^why am i not convinced with that answer
infact i like AMD a lot, because of AMD competetiveness ,Intel have to lower its CPU prices, if today AMD closes than see the sky high prices by Intel, not evryone in this world can buy hi end extreme edition cpus by Intel, but by buying cheaper CPUs by AMD ,they try to stand close to Intels perfomance

hope that helps :)

Man of Honour
my apology sir, let me write it properly, as i can see a lot of people dont understand me, sorry :( , i wanted to say that
^why am i not convinced with that answer
infact i like AMD a lot, because of AMD competetiveness ,Intel have to lower its CPU prices, if today AMD closes than see the sky high prices by Intel, not evryone in this world can buy hi end extreme edition cpus by Intel, but by buying cheaper CPUs by AMD ,they try to stand close to Intels perfomance

hope that helps :)

That's much better. :)

Permabanned
Graphics card has a much bigger impact on gaming performance than CPU.

not in some games, source and gta iv are the two that come to mind and maybe fallout 3?

thiers a lot of badly coded ports and dx 11 which might use more cores, doesnt the ps3 have like 6 cores or something id assume its natural for them to use more than 4 cores?

2009/10 will be the year of the quad for gaming i think.i remember when i bought this dual core i thought a quad would be overkill but it could be the same with 6 cores as well so no one can say for sure.i could rop in a Q6600 but is that enough for gtaiv maxed at 60fps?

for me cpu is the backbone as its not something i replace often.3-4 years but a grapcs card is easily dropped in as long as your psu is futureproofed.

Associate
WHy does anyone care about stock performance, obviously you stick 6 45nm cores in compared to 4 45nm cores, the 6 will use more power, so to hit the same TDP for shipping and stock numbers the cores will have to be clocked lower. Who here really cares, the fact is with decent cooling and a chunk of overclocking theres very little reason it can't overclock as well or almost as well as a quad, just with a higher TDP, which if you want max performance and overclock who the hell cares about frankly.

THe thing is we are slowly moving to better multithreading support, as for gaming, DX11 should really help out with that with far better native support for multithreading. But considering a 3Ghz dual core cpu maxes out 98% of games anyway and a 3.2Ghz quad can stop basically any game being cpu limited, would you really upgrade for gaming when the upgrade offers you nothing?

A stock P2 matches a highly overclocked I7 in gaming, a highly overclocked P2 matches a stock I7 in gaming, gaming simply isn't cpu limited and neither of those cpu's clocked or stock, is lacking the cpu power for gaming at all.

I agree. Once multithreading reaches the same sort of support it currently has for rendering and 3d graphics then we will truly see a benefit from these chips. Although I have to say in the meantime the thurban chip will not blow anything out of the water.

Actually I dont believe the i9 will improve gaming performance much either, only 3d rendering ofcourse...and even that I cant see it being worth the money over an i7 (possibly a 50% increase in render speed for about £600 more).

Back
Top Bottom