It's On! Floyd Mayweather - Conor McGregor **No discussions of illegal streams**

Permabanned
Come on it's hardly rocket science.

Ironically, it's very much treated like it is, given the heaps of rules and regulations that both sports have, making both of them miles from real fighting.

Boxing usually bores me to death, and MMA only bores me marginally less so (it might just be me, but I believe UFC match-ups have generally gotten much less exciting in the past few years?). I'm just munching popcorn for this circus act and won't pay a penny for it, tho I might tune in for it somehow.

Soldato
I don't think MMA will ever be a better spectacle than boxing. Ground fights are boring as hell, fights are only 3 to 5 rounds, and often it's all over in the first round or two. I do enjoy MMA but I much prefer seeing two boxers going at it for the best part of 12 rounds.

Caporegime
Conor is mainly a stand-up striker whose ground game is poor enough that he heavily avoids going to the ground. He's mainly about punches, kicks and defending takedowns, with stand-up punches being the biggest focus for him. He's still at a disadvantage here, but boxing doesn't take away as much as it would from other MMA fighters.

'Poor enough' that he prefers to stand I suppose is right, but that's not to say his ground game is poor, a BJJ brown belt doesn't have a poor ground game.

Permabanned
I don't think MMA will ever be a better spectacle than boxing. Ground fights are boring as hell, fights are only 3 to 5 rounds, and often it's all over in the first round or two. I do enjoy MMA but I much prefer seeing two boxers going at it for the best part of 12 rounds.

Hatton and Calzaghe mainly got me into boxing around 2006/7, tho I've never been superhardcore with it or MMA. Generally I'd take a UFC card over a boxing one these days, but yeah, the most satisfying times I've had are with boxing; but again, pretty rarely.

'Poor enough' that he prefers to stand I suppose is right, but that's not to say his ground game is poor, a BJJ brown belt doesn't have a poor ground game.

Yeah, relatively. Poorer than some other MMA fighters, yet those fighters probably couldn't compete with Conor's stand-up....erm, his striking, not his comedy - well, no, they can't compete with that either!

Soldato
I agree that boxing is more entertaining, but I'd qualify that by saying it's currently more entertaining. The UFC is going through a slump at the moment, whereas boxing is enjoying a bit of a renaissance. There are a lot of very good boxers in a lot of weight classes, some of them could be included in potential best ever lists. The UFC is struggling because it's lost some of its biggest stars, be it to retirement, injury, suspension, etc. Losing Jon Jones (temporarily), Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar and Georges St. Pierre has taken away some of the promotion's biggest names. Boxing has had its bad times in the past, often in between 'golden generations' of fighters. Plus boxing has been around for a lot, lot longer than MMA, so it's had far more time to gain support and momentum and have generations of young people honing their skills. Give MMA another 20-30 years and I'm sure it will be able to field stronger rosters.

Caporegime
The problem with the UFC is it's incredibly diluted, it used to be one event a month so the cards were fairly well stacked with well known/top fighters. It seems like it's an event a week at the moment and the standard is spread too thin. Women's MMA doesn't seem to be helping either as the main cards almost always include a token women's fight. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Women's MMA providing the quality is there, the problem being outside of the top 1-3 in each respective division it's lacking badly.

I find myself fast forwarding most of the production these days whereas in the past i'd watch it from start to finish.

Soldato
I agree that boxing is more entertaining, but I'd qualify that by saying it's currently more entertaining. The UFC is going through a slump at the moment, whereas boxing is enjoying a bit of a renaissance. There are a lot of very good boxers in a lot of weight classes, some of them could be included in potential best ever lists. The UFC is struggling because it's lost some of its biggest stars, be it to retirement, injury, suspension, etc. Losing Jon Jones (temporarily), Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar and Georges St. Pierre has taken away some of the promotion's biggest names. Boxing has had its bad times in the past, often in between 'golden generations' of fighters. Plus boxing has been around for a lot, lot longer than MMA, so it's had far more time to gain support and momentum and have generations of young people honing their skills. Give MMA another 20-30 years and I'm sure it will be able to field stronger rosters.

Sure, MMA has time to develop. But I look at it like football and rugby. Football will always be the more popular and exciting sport to watch no matter that they've both been around forever. To me, football is the boxing and rugby is the MMA.

Associate
The problem with the UFC is it's incredibly diluted, it used to be one event a month so the cards were fairly well stacked with well known/top fighters.

Not quite sure how more is a problem?

Women's MMA doesn't seem to be helping either as the main cards almost always include a token women's fight. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Women's MMA providing the quality is there, the problem being outside of the top 1-3 in each respective division it's lacking badly.

Although I agree with you the quality of the majority of women's MMA isn't very good, investing in it now and having to bare and grin whilst it develops seems reasonable, albeit a long process.

Sure, MMA has time to develop. But I look at it like football and rugby. Football will always be the more popular and exciting sport to watch no matter that they've both been around forever. To me, football is the boxing and rugby is the MMA.

The problem with this analogy is that football and rugby have both been around forever where as boxing again forever but mma is relatively new. Highly unlikely mma ever exceeds football though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not quite sure how more is a problem?

Although I agree with you the quality of the majority of women's MMA isn't very good, investing in it now and having to bare and grin whilst it develops seems reasonable, albeit a long process.

The problem with this analogy is that football and rugby have both been around forever where as boxing again forever but mma is relatively new. Highly unlikely mma ever exceeds football though.

I answered why more is a problem in my post above, it dilutes the standard of the cards.

I personally preferred it when there was 1/2 a month, it had me chomping at the bit for more MMA.

Soldato
Mayweather is looking well past his sell by date and McGregor is getting hammered in sparring sessions. McGregor supposedly dropped hard more than a few times.

Soldato
Mayweather is looking well past his sell by date and McGregor is getting hammered in sparring sessions. McGregor supposedly dropped hard more than a few times.

I love these type of quote's, supposedly dropped where did this come from ? Where are you getting Mayweather past his sell by date from ?

Not saying I don't agree but anyone can come up with stories like that. God it could even be deliberate leak as part mind games :p

Still think it will be a none event as with most Mayweather fights

Caporegime
Sorry, should've been clearer. That was my point - that street fights are so extremely unpredictable. So a pro boxer could quickly KO Conor and Conor could do the same to a pro boxer (like Floyd) in a street fight. I didn't mean that removing all rules makes it easier for a boxer to win, just that any type of fighter could win due to unpredictability. Edit: And that unpredictability is mitigated in both sports, less so in MMA but it's still heavily mitigated there too.

do you even watch UFC or Boxing?

there is no world in which mayweather would win in a street fight. all it would take is 1 leg kick from mc gregor and floyds movement would be restricted so much he could be picked apart.

or as conor the bigger person he could push his size advantage in the grappling stakes.

the only chance floyd would have is if conor didn't open with leg kicks and catch him with a punch as he was coming inside, something conor would never do against someone he knows can only throw hands.

this is getting ridiculous now. it's like saying a bear would be able to beat a sniper in a street fight. no it wouldn't as the sniper would set up on high ground and pop the bear from 2km away. the only way the bear could win is if the sniper fell asleep. which is something which could happen but he would be stupid not to take steps against this like setting up bear traps, etc.

Caporegime
I love these type of quote's, supposedly dropped where did this come from ? Where are you getting Mayweather past his sell by date from ?

Not saying I don't agree but anyone can come up with stories like that. God it could even be deliberate leak as part mind games :p

Still think it will be a none event as with most Mayweather fights

Mayweather has got to be slowing down now. look at what happened to anderson silva. age caught up with him and he went from the best fighter the world has ever seen to a nobody in the space of a couple of fights.

Permabanned
do you even watch UFC or Boxing?

there is no world in which mayweather would win in a street fight. all it would take is 1 leg kick from mc gregor and floyds movement would be restricted so much he could be picked apart.

or as conor the bigger person he could push his size advantage in the grappling stakes.

the only chance floyd would have is if conor didn't open with leg kicks and catch him with a punch as he was coming inside, something conor would never do against someone he knows can only throw hands.

MMA is MILES from a street fight. MMA is closer to boxing than a street fight. Who says they know each other and each other's abilities in a true, random street fight? They wouldn't, so why wouldn't Conor stick to what he does best, striking? Who says Floyd doesn't quickly connect a KO punch anyway? And Conor could end it with kicks or whatever, as it's a street fight - unpredictable.

this is getting ridiculous now. it's like saying a bear would be able to beat a sniper in a street fight. no it wouldn't as the sniper would set up on high ground and pop the bear from 2km away. the only way the bear could win is if the sniper fell asleep. which is something which could happen but he would be stupid not to take steps against this like setting up bear traps, etc.

I agree, that bear/sniper thing is utterly ridiculous.

Caporegime
you really think a defensive boxer is going to win in a street fight against a 2 weight MMA champion?

it would be over after 2-3 leg kicks have been thrown and mayweather can hardly move about. more leg kicks and he crumbles. as a defensive boxer he cannot counterpunch a leg kick from someone who is taller than him.

conor could win without throwing a single punch.

Permabanned
"Defensive boxer" has no bearing on a street fight. Floyd can throw a non-counter punch easily, he just doesn't do it often in boxing. His bare-knuckle punches would be KO punches for anyone around his weight. Who says he doesn't land a punch before Conor lands a kick? You know, it's a street fight.

Permabanned
If Conor sees an opening for a head kick, it might not work, as Floyd has one of the thickest heads on earth - he's unbelievably dense. Then Floyd's got the counter punch! :D

Back
Top Bottom