Its that time of year again - all things bird related (feathered).

Soldato
I got a big pack of bells and beads from my sister, who i think bought them from a Chinese seller on ebay. The blue and white ball with the jingle bell inside is a cat toy which I stuck on a stainless steel chain.

If you put any bells or balls on a branch the first thing he will do is work out how to move it to the end of the branch and throw it on the floor, then stare at me until I put it back on lol. So I had to add the screw in eyes to keep them in place.

Soldato
No worries, I sort of figured it out myself as they were all gone within a week or so. My next dilema is cutting his claws as they're getting a bit long and keep getting caught on my clothes when he tries to fly off. Not being able to hold him is a pain, but I managed to nip a few off yesterday while my mum was distracting him with a jingle bell. Nipped them off making sure not to go anywhere near the quick and he didn't even notice.

It's interesting you say it's a female as I thought it might be a male. It does a weird thing where it bobs it's head up and down at the mirror, which I had read only the males do? If it is a female then that might explain why its not talking :(.

Yea, because it's a lighter blue, it is probably female. Does it's cere get brownish at any point? If it were a male, it would go deep blue when in mating season. Behaviour is not really an indicator of sex on budgies.

I should warn you, my advice may not be 100%, it's been a very long time since I were a breeder :)

Soldato
Have some corn flour/starch or a styptic pen nearby when you're cutting nails in case you cut too much and cause bleeding as it will coagulate the blood and stop your bird potentially bleeding to death

Get rid of all your air freshening stuff if you have any as well, birds have a very sensitive respiratory system and things like air freshener can be toxic to them along with cooking near them with teflon coated pans

Soldato
Been watching Alen AxP's videos on YouTube R.E. budgie care. They live in the living room the length of the house away and we keep the door closed anyway (because of the chatter :p)

Not sure we'll change cookware though

Last edited:
Soldato
WTF YOU ARE BUDGIE GUY?!?!

And use OCUK lol. What are odds?!

I subscribed to you ages ago, I follow your videos now and again and just started breeding budgies myself. Currently have my first clutch in nest 3 healthy chicks. Feels good man.

I'm shocked to see you actually post here...... someone whom i've been following for a while and someone whose advice I heavily relied upon when starting out.

Edit: I see op made this thread in 2018. Can't believe I didn't see it....

Soldato
Edit: I see op made this thread in 2018. Can't believe I didn't see it....

Think he just posted it to drum up views for his channel...

Yea, because it's a lighter blue, it is probably female. Does it's cere get brownish at any point? If it were a male, it would go deep blue when in mating season. Behaviour is not really an indicator of sex on budgies.

I should warn you, my advice may not be 100%, it's been a very long time since I were a breeder :)

No it never goes brown, just stays very light blue, but also looks pinkish in certain lights. I have been saying "good boy" for so long now it'll have to identify as male. Good to know it's likely a female though in case we ever get another.

Have some corn flour/starch or a styptic pen nearby when you're cutting nails in case you cut too much and cause bleeding as it will coagulate the blood and stop your bird potentially bleeding to death

Get rid of all your air freshening stuff if you have any as well, birds have a very sensitive respiratory system and things like air freshener can be toxic to them along with cooking near them with teflon coated pans

I had cornstarch ready just in case, but I just nipped the very tip off. I was scared to clip too much.

We don't use air freshener, but occassionally burn incense. Should I move the budgie cage to another room from now on? Never even thought about it being bad for the bird.

Permabanned
One of the kookaburras having his breakfast and one of the emus having a shower

kookaburra.jpg

shower.jpg

One of the peacocks pops in to check his hair:

peacock-in-bedroom.jpg

Soldato
Today I've got the yellow one (Flapper) to "step up" without a treat in hand. Repeated this until he got bored of it, now they're hanging out on the door watching me prep dinner :p

The green one (Dash) remains indifferent to our presence

Soldato
Awesome! You could also try cupping your hands under a gentle running tap when the budgie is on your hand and they bath in the pooled water and like the running water on their heads and back. Mine also takes every opportunity to land on the side of my glass and start dipping it's head in the water. I have to be really careful now if I have a hot drink :eek:.

Soldato
zDcr1DE.jpg.png

My budgie has made friends with a local baby panther :eek:. It absolutely loves being outside though, so i think i'm going to build it some sort of small aviary that is cat proof.

My budgie wouldn't last 2 minutes in the wild, it's completely oblivious to danger. It was trying to preen the cat through the bars at one point lol.

Soldato
I don’t breed them, but I do have a couple of pigeons I keep in the back garden.

The smaller one is a 5 year old ex-racing pigeon, this is what she looked like when we found her:

And this is what she looks like now:

The larger one is a Giant Runt who I bought in a local market. They get along really well, despite the size difference!

Fully expect most people to hate them as pigeons aren’t the most popular bird, but we love them - I can’t imagine not having pigeons now!

Soldato
I absolutely detest pigeons but I also hate seeing animals in distress, fair play to you for fixing the poor fella up :)

I never cared that much about them before, but we had a flock of them in our garden in London which my mum used to feed. After observing them for a while, you get to know their individual personalities and behavior: they're very funny at times which was what first interested me.

I'd never planned on keeping them myself until I found that one, but I'm very glad I did. I know better than to try to convert people to pigeons though :p

Soldato
Same with mine. He gets let out for most of the day, but will fly back in his cage to chill on one leg for a bit. Or if I leave the room he will go back in his cage to feel safe.

I wish mine would eat fruit and veg. He seems scared of fruit and will run along the perch to the opposite end of the cage. The only veg he will eat is spinach or lettuice, which he loves.

I made this for mine out of some Sycamore branches and he loves it. I have added some extra branches since i took the pics and he hops around all over it.

IffYa7g.jpg.png

DgnT4Iz.jpg.png
Cracking bit if work.

Back
Top Bottom