ITX build, m-atx is just too big

Associate
So after getting fed up with my Xigmatek M-ATX case taking up so much space on my desk, inspired by a LTT video I'm gathering a spec list for a new ITX PC.

7600K (I think this seems a good compromise? I'd have to under volt a 7700K anyway)
R9 Nano (Taken from my current PC)
ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Motherboard
16GB DDR4 RAM (Speed and brand undecided)
Noctua nh-l9i CPU cooler

then just to decide on exact case and power supply, I like the look of the NFC S4 Mini from the states, which would need an external possibly and some sort of ATX internal convertor? I've never used something like that before.

Soldato
Why would you have to undervolt a 7700K? They're not particularly hot, they're not particularly power hungry, and SFX PSUs come gold rated in 450W and 600W flavours, and SFX-L isn't much bigger and hits 700W.

If you want a thin and tall case then look at the Fractal Node 202 or Silverstone Milo ML07 (because the Raven RVZ01 has stupid styling and Fortress FTZ01 has a £40 premium for no reason; all 3 cases are the same except the skin).

Associate
OP
Why would you have to undervolt a 7700K? They're not particularly hot, they're not particularly power hungry, and SFX PSUs come gold rated in 450W and 600W flavours, and SFX-L isn't much bigger and hits 700W.

If you want a thin and tall case then look at the Fractal Node 202 or Silverstone Milo ML07 (because the Raven RVZ01 has stupid styling and Fortress FTZ01 has a £40 premium for no reason; all 3 cases are the same except the skin).

Thanks for the reply.
I was inspired by an LTT video with the same case, CPU and CPU cooler, they had to undervolt their K but was still faster than a T.
I actually chose the original case because it uses an external power supply, so really takes up minimum desk space (I can took the power supply brick away somewhere)
I'll check out those cases, the fractal looks cool but I haven't seen it mounted vertical, it also is still quite bulky with a power supply inside it.

Associate
OP
Ah, I missed the black text in your original post so didn't see you mention the S4 Mini.

Have you seen HackJoe's Modzero Juice? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/modzero-juice-nfc-systems-s4-mini-80.18761643/

He's using an HDPlex 250W DC-ATX PSU in his, and they do go as high as 350W. You do need an external brick to pair with the HDPlex.

Good stuff in that build log.
Thanks for the link, I also intended on using a hdplex so good to see someone also with the same. I think the external brick I looked at was actually a Dell.
No problem on missing the black text, I didn't realise I'd even done it until after I posted.

Associate
Finally I can offer what little personal advice I have to give!

I recently built an ITX system for a friend using the Lian-Li PC-Q34, and I love it. My review of it is on the silver version here.

It's made to perfectly fit a mini-size graphics card like your Nano, and it's really nice to build in. But the best part? I can confirm (you heard it here first, folks) that with the Gigabyte Z270n-WIFI (or the identical non-wifi version) and a 7700K, you can fit the fantastic Noctua NH-D15s into the case and it fits perfectly. Like, a few millimetres of clearance in every direction. You can even fit an exhaust fan providing it's a slim one. Note that it does need to be the D15s, not the normal D15. But it cools a 7700K down better than a lot of AiO water coolers.

With an SFX power supply (you'll need an adapter) in there it's easy to cable-manage too.

So if you wanted to use a 7700K and overclock it a fair amount, which is what I wanted to do, and have a mini GPU, like I did, it's a very very sweet case to go for. As long as you use the same parts I did, I guarantee everything fits and does so in a very satisfying way. I wasn't sure the cooler and mobo would be compatible when I bought them; I'm SO glad it worked out.

Note: I think the D15s might also fit with the motherboard you already have. wouldn't hurt to try. I'd totally go for it.

Note 2: the FSP Dagger SFX PSU comes with an adapter and is cheaper than its competitors. I wish it had existed when I was building my system (I had to shell out £11 for an adapter from Silverstone).

Last edited:
Associate
The variance in ITX is quite radical, from the NFC to a Manta or those caselabs that are big enough for ATX... I've built in and built a lot of SFF cases now. Wanting to always watercool makes it a challenge and that's the best part for me but for that reason i've yet to go smaller than the ~7l mark. The DC-DC and low power cards turn me away from that insanely small stuff.

Anyway start pushing below ~10l and it's a completely different game of making all your own cables, inevitably cutting something, compromising cooling or acoustics somewhere along the line. An in depth project which you need to prepare for, when really even getting close to that size is a huge drop from mATX. The footprint of an NFC is non existent it would happily sit on the palm rest of a 60% keyboard, a Dancase is about the same size as a big ATX PSU. Anyway, it's all relative and the work you need to put in to making it small has diminishing returns.

IMO the ncase M1 and Parvum X1.0/X2.0 are really just on the edge of that point where things get difficult while still being noticeably smaller than mainstream ITX, you could just do 'a build' in either quite neatly without too much thought or voiding any warranties. SFX PSU's, M.2 drives, 2.5" at a push, 120mm low profile coolers. All that stuff is awesome. Riser cables, DC-DC, coolers that are the height of DIMM's well they are all great fun too in the right project but I wouldn't entertain using them daily.

Either way, the Silverstone SFX series is phenomenal i've overclocked some ridiculous hardware with mine and they stand strong even with a Fury X and X99 sitting at 600W. They aren't even really loud compared with big PSU's either. If SFX-L fits that's even better, the 120mm's seem a bit quieter on intermediate loads.

Oh I know you kinda probably want a GPU and all that but check out Thin-ITX DC powered boards that take SODIMM and half length M.2's! Dual system NFC should be a thing for bants, RIP OrionX. Worlds smallest not fastest dual system.

JR

Associate
OP
Thank you for all the detailed replies
I kind of wanted this to be a quick build as I'm going to Austria for 4 months, was hoping an RFC based build would fit in my suitcase but I don't think I'll have time to buy all the parts and make sure they all fit before I go (I'm in the IoM for 2 weeks, then only back a day before I leave)
Looks like I'll be buying parts once
I'm in Austria, take my GPU, SSD drives and laptop with me.

Associate
OP
So there's no convenient way to power the nano with this case (high power spikes) so I've got that sat on eBay now. Think I'll go mini 1070, or 1080 if budget allowed.
Would love a 7700k but probably going to go 7500 or 6700. A bit concerned it's a step down from my 4790k though (4th gen i7 seems really good still, just no DDR4 etc.)

Back
Top Bottom