I've been scammed somehow out of £308

Soldato
Earlier today I bought a Q6600 CPU from a forum member, I paid paypal and sent £75 PP gift.

I Have just looked at my account and I am down £308. I rang my bank and they said it was related to paypal earlier today for £308, I said I did not authorise this but then got cut off due to poor signal in my house

I checked the paypal transaction and there is a related transaction for £308 (see screenshot below)

The Customer Service Phone is an 0845 contact number

scam.jpg

What has happened?

Last edited:
Soldato
glitch in the matrix. you need to phone them back because its been a mistake on there side. cant imagine how it happened though

Soldato
actually i see whats happened...

looks like your paypal account appear that it was on minus £230.44. so to pay the 77.75 to the ocuk member they needed the money you 'owe' them first

has someone done a chargeback or something recently ? you need to contact paypal and your bank and i can only think it will be a load of hassle

Soldato
OP
The related transaction ID apparently doesnt exist. I have filed an unauthorised payment with paypal regarding the related ID no.

Associate
From the looks of it your paypal account was in the negative and it just grabbed the money off your card to settle your account.

At the bottom where it says Funding Source - Paypal Account -£230.44

Soldato
OP
actually i see whats happened...

looks like your paypal account appear that it was on minus £230.44. so to pay the 77.75 to the ocuk member they needed the money you 'owe' them first

has someone done a chargeback or something recently ? you need to contact paypal and your bank and i can only think it will be a load of hassle

Yes, My paypal account was £230.44 in the red so I transferred £230.44 from my bank to paypal ...09 Sep 2010 Direct debit PAYPAL UK. £230.44

So i already gave them their £230.44 after someone did a chargeback on me. Will this £308 be credited back to my account then? Its also taken my bank to -£16 so I will get a nice £30 charge from Nationwide

hux

hux

Soldato
Well looks to me something went wrong with the £230 you initially transferred.

Either it didn't go through or someone ballsed up big time. Id contact your bank asap, and go through paypal to see if it did go through.

Soldato
OP
Well looks to me something went wrong with the £230 you initially transferred.

Either it didn't go through or someone ballsed up big time. Id contact your bank asap, and go through paypal to see if it did go through.

Is it because the transfer of £230 hasnt gone through yet? Its showing as gone through on 9th september on my bank statement and my Paypal was definatley on £0 (not -£230) before I bought the CPU

Soldato
OP
arhhhh, on my history its still processing the £230.44 from my bank account, ive then made a payment of £75 before this has gone through.

So i'm guessing that in a few days my account will go back up £230.44. Another £30 charge through my bank. Think ill go in to my bank tomorrow and i never saw anything asking my to authorise the £308 charge. One more reason not to use Paypal in the future

Caporegime
arhhhh, on my history its still processing the £230.44 from my bank account, ive then made a payment of £75 before this has gone through.

So i'm guessing that in a few days my account will go back up £230.44. Another £30 charge through my bank. Think ill go in to my bank tomorrow and i never saw anything asking my to authorise the £308 charge. One more reason not to use Paypal in the future

Or one more reason to manage your finances properly.

Soldato
Can't see why it would ask you to authorise the charge? Especially since you have used PayPal in the past?

I would also suggest removing the member's name from your earlier post, since it is clearly not his fault, and it would be courteous to keep him out of scam accusations.

Soldato
Think ill go in to my bank tomorrow and i never saw anything asking my to authorise the £308 charge. One more reason not to use Paypal in the future

its not your banks fault that you didnt look at the numbers!

unfortunate but learn from your mistake. you might get the bank charge back if you ask nicely. i have done a few times

Soldato
Can't see why it would ask you to authorise the charge? Especially since you have used PayPal in the past?

Well because it was taking £300 out of his account for a £75 payment - it would have probably been sensible to highlight this to him first rather than just taking it. Not specifically PayPal's fault the situation occurred but a simple automated message that highlights when PayPal feels the need to help itself to your bank account wouldn't be too much to ask for I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom