I've just ordered a new MBP, 2.4Ghz glossy.. what shall I put on it?

Associate
As the title suggests really! With student discount it worked out for the 15.4" to be £1359, good price. Then, £58 for the AppleCare. :eek: So, I took them up on that, obviously (big difference compared to £279 on the website).

Anyways, since it's meant to be rather fast, what shall I put on the computer? Should I upgrade to 4GB of RAM from OC as well?

I'm thinking Windows XP as it'd be handy to have one machine for my computing needs and WoW to test out the beauty of it. But what programmes do you use or find useful?

Cheers!

Associate
Windows? Gah. You can do 99.9% of things needed under OSX nowadays.

If you have no use for it, why buy it? Won the lottery? :D My Macbook Pro is my main/only desktop PC and has completely replaced my old tower so I use it for everything pretty much.

Associate
OP
I prefer MSN Live Messenger on Windows, and I also like to play games. Games make up the majority of the software market, so that's no way near 99.9%.

Who said I have no use for it? I'm going to be using it for music, web browsing, video editing, dual-booting with XP so I don't need my huge Sony Vaio or HP laptops or my desktop, it replaces them all, using as my main machine with all my photos on (with editing via Photoshop I imagine). I just want to know what to do with the power. I have spare money and wanted a MacBook Pro as the Black MacBook wasn't quite enough for me.

Soldato
I would get smcFanControl to keep the MBP to a reasonable temp. Especially if your going to play games on it.

Soldato
smcFanControl runs on OSX but the settings will continue when it's running XP instead.

There's no windows version as window laptops don't have a SMC based controller chips, hence no drivers for it.

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
Ah, cheers. Ooh, the number of God, 7..777! :D

Any other applications you'd recommend? Fun ones, work-related ones, utilities etc.

If you don't want to pay out for Microsoft Office, then I recommend NeoOffice, very good it is.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Check out the 10 most popular applications in the sticky :)

I personally have;
Firefox
MSN Messenger
VLC
Quicktime Pro (with Perian + Flip4Mac)
Stuffit Expander
Transmission
Panic Transmit
NeoOffice
Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium

Associate
I prefer The Unarchiver for unzipping/unraring etc and it supports many formats
http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

I also like a program called Xee which can view images directly from archives and is a lot more like XPs preview as you can open one picture and scroll through the rest in the folder without have to open them all in the drawer in OSX Preview.
http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html

iStatPro is a v.useful widget to monitor your macs stats
http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7

And many more programs can be found in the Sticky, as DJLOREY has mentioned. :) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17745774

Associate
OP
Justin said:
If you don't want to pay out for Microsoft Office, then I recommend NeoOffice, very good it is.
Cheers, will try both and compare I think. :)
Hate said:
WoW is dual format mac and PC, dont need windows XP for it :p
I know that..that's why I'm putting WoW on the Mac partition, just to see what it's like more than anything - it'll be my brother using it when he comes to stay in August as I'm not a big WoW fan. Any other game and XP is needed.
DJLOREY said:
Check out the 10 most popular applications in the sticky :)

I personally have;
Firefox
MSN Messenger
VLC
Quicktime Pro (with Perian + Flip4Mac)
Stuffit Expander
Transmission
Panic Transmit
NeoOffice
Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium
Hey,

Firefox isn't fantastic compared to the PC version, same with MSN Messenger, and I point blank refuse to pay for Quicktime Pro just for full-screen, VLC does what I need. :)

Cheers for the rest, will check them out.

Associate
Adium is by far the best IM client around, I'd suggest it over anything else, especially XP + Windows Live Messenger bloatware.

It's small, light and highly customisable.

Soldato
mosfet said:
Adium is by far the best IM client around, I'd suggest it over anything else, especially XP + Windows Live Messenger bloatware.

Hmm it didn't want to connect to MSN for me hence Messenger

Associate
OP
mosfet said:

It doesn't cut it compared to Live Messenger, no webcam support, cuts out now and again, I've never found XP or Messenger to be bloated, they're just better than Adium.

Back
Top Bottom