i've just realised, we are having our trousers pulled down!

Associate
What most people don't generally think about:

Once you earn over your basic tax-free allowance, you are paying 20% tax on the next bracket on your earnings.

Then you have National Insurance on top.

So from you earning your money to you buying a product you have paid probably at least 50% in tax.

Soldato
no, it will never come back down. manufacturers, suppliers and retailers will all add on their little bit on top of the regulated VAT. this is a right pigs ear of an economy. drop it to 15% only to hike it back up to a record level within a little over 18 months. nice one.

To be fair though we've known for 18 months more or less that this will be happening. It's pretty much a given.

It is possible that VAT *could* come down again in 5 years or so. But I suspect it will only have any chance of happening if the next elected government is more of the same (i.e. not Labour and not the LibDems left unsupervised).

Soldato
OP
the trouble is, who to target? i believe it has to be the oil suppliers and energy companies, everything stems from transport costs for which the oil companies are responsible for and continue to announce record profits, same for the energy suppliers, they're all way too greedy yet we just watch things carry on as they do so.

Soldato
Didn't really notice a change in prices until I picked up a few bits in Sainsburys today. Two bags of cheap goods left me staring at my change in disbelief. I swear they've upped their prices on top of the VAT rise.

Caporegime
the trouble is, who to target? i believe it has to be the oil suppliers and energy companies, everything stems from transport costs for which the oil companies are responsible for and continue to announce record profits, same for the energy suppliers, they're all way too greedy yet we just watch things carry on as they do so.

the petrol price is mostly tax, don't see how you can blame the oil companies for that.

Man of Honour

When your biggest financial outlay is to the government through income tax, council tax, value added tax, fuel duty, etc. I don't understand your reasoning.

Associate
Didn't really notice a change in prices until I picked up a few bits in Sainsburys today. Two bags of cheap goods left me staring at my change in disbelief. I swear they've upped their prices on top of the VAT rise.

Remember where VAT is chargeable (and most foodstuffs that won't be the case) you were already paying 117.5% of the price, you'll now be paying 120%. That's really not a big increase at all.

Caporegime
Me neither, but i can blame the oil companies for hindering any possibility we have at developing a sustainable renewable energy source as it suits their pockets.

oil companies are the ones doing the massive research into those things because
A) they have the money to do it
B) they have the expertise to do it and make money from it
C) they know that unless they want to go bust in the future they're going to need a new product.

If you want to blame someone blame Greenpeace.

Man of Honour
oil companies are the ones doing the massive research into those things because
A) they have the money to do it
B) they have the expertise to do it and make money from it
C) they know that unless they want to go bust in the future they're going to need a new product.

If you want to blame someone blame Greenpeace.

Didn't an oil company buy out then administrate the company that was developing the electric car around 8-10 years ago?

I'm asking because I thought they did, but I can't remember any details.

Soldato
What most people don't generally think about:

Once you earn over your basic tax-free allowance, you are paying 20% tax on the next bracket on your earnings.

Then you have National Insurance on top.

So from you earning your money to you buying a product you have paid probably at least 50% in tax.

Not quite, say you earn £100, spend £80 then vat on £80 is only £16. So it's not 50% as NI is 11%. Tax comes to around 45% after the tax free allowance ((1-(0.20+0.11))*100*0.8). Although it's not really fair to call NI a tax as it supposedly pays for your pension and healthcare.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Speculators mate - blame them. Since the credit crunch people have stopped speculating on stocks and shares and put them into commodities. It's why metals like gold, silver, copper etc is at record highs, causing your consumer electronics to go up in price, it's why wheat is at record highs causing food prices to go up, it's why cotton is at record highs causing the clothes prices to go up.

Back
Top Bottom