1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J.K. Rowling Controversy

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Craterloads, Jun 8, 2020.

1. cheesyboy

Capodecina

It literally says she doesn't like bisexuality because it lumps men and women together.

2. RDM

Capodecina

They aren't quite the same thing, similar granted. A blurred line would suggest that there is little difference between the sexes, lumping them together would suggest ignoring the differences. She is complaining about it, as a term, erasing women. Has she at any point actually made disparaging comments towards bisexuals? Or is simply not liking a word enough?

On the wider trans debate, is it right that some people with concerns about how making it easy to change your sex will make sex based protections weaker, are labelled and harassed online? Reading through JK Rowlings comments I am struggling to see what is transphobic about them. I can certainly see why some TRAs are upset about them, she is a well known, left leaning, voice arguing against their cause.

Did you see the vitriolic harassment she received from some trans activists? The abuse lesbians get if they say they don't want to sleep with a woman with a penis? This is the side of the argument that you are on. A side using language that is about as misogynistic as you can get.

3. BowdonUK

Mobster

I see a Labour MP had to put himself in to this debate by accusing JK Rowling of using her domestic abuse history to further her agenda.

He's now had to apology for his remarks. Even other Labour MP's are face palming on twitter about him.

Lloyd Russell-Moyle: Labour MP apologises after accusing JK Rowling of using her history of abuse in transgender row
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...pology-transgender-sexual-abuse-a9589616.html

4. stockhausen

Capodecina

Your point (if it can be called that) being?

Russell-Moyle, Labour MP for Kemptown and Peacehaven said ‘Whilst I may disagree with some of her analysis on trans rights, it was wrong of me to suggest that she used her own dreadful experience in anything other than good faith.’ Rowling accepted his apology.

About what exactly are you complaining, that he apologised for being an idiot or that she accepted his apology?

5. Mr Joshua

Mobster

I've got to admit I've gained a lot of respect for JK Rowling for standing up to this bunch despite their repeated chants of terf and the usual made up nonsense I won't repeat.

Trans people deserve protection as apparently they're a vulnerable group but the forcing of themselves and their beliefs onto everyone and into everywhere gets right up my nose. I'd never considered myself a feminist but this smacks of men trying to force themselves into women's spaces and I'm glad a big public figure has spoken out.

6. BowdonUK

Mobster

That it was a stupid thing to say it in the first place. A blatant misjudgement. As an MP he shouldn't be throwing around insinuations like he did.

Imagine if a Tory had said this, the media would be going on about it for weeks hounding him before he apologised. Russell-Moyle had no outside pressure put on him from the media. It was probably when he went back in to the Labour groups he got an ear bashing off the other female Labour MP's and supporters.

Because his comment was attacking JK Rowling in a misguided attempt to support the 'trans women are real women' campaign he gets let off.

Let us not forget this was the guy that put on an animated display at his election count in an impression that was like a pound shop Oswald Mosley...

7. Hagar

Sgarrista

He is also on the opposition front bench. One to watch out for regarding likes on twit face.

Amazingly the other two candidates for leader also supported the trans rights bill although with RLB perhaps not so unusual. Kier dodged a bullet there.

8. stockhausen

Capodecina

You mean like the unelected Cummings?

9. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Except she absolutely did. Rowling is burning her bridges with everyone and needs to use every weapon she can. Other authors are ditching her agency because of her, she slobbered over Stephen King on Twitter after he retweeted one of her TERFist remarks out of context then blanked him within hours when he clarified that he believes trans women are women, and her own fandom are distancing from her as hard as possible. She'll die rich, but she'll die hated.

10. stockhausen

Capodecina

Have you ever considered the idea of actually justifying your assertions or should we just take your word for it?
    I suspect that there is far more support for Rowling's right to an opinion than you allege.

11. JeditOjanen

Soldato

12. Dis86

Capodecina

Only by morons with no hold on reality. I don't think she'll be particularly bothered by that.

13. cheesyboy

Capodecina

"I don't mind what gays do behind closed doors, but do they really have to force the rest of us to see it in public?!"

14. Hagar

Sgarrista

By a tiny vocal minority who are determined to oust women from their position in society, sport and any safe space that they feel they may need. No real bother to her I feel.

15. stockhausen

Capodecina

Fair enough, three unknowns (all of whom identify as LGBTQIA authors, one of them being the co-author of the Trans Teen Survival Guide) and one unnamed author.

No reference though of her "slobbering" over the horror writer Stephen King . . . which does sound a wee bit unlikely. ;)

16. BowdonUK

Mobster

I was meaning as an elected MP.

It is amazing how people will say black is white or white is black just to make someone feel happy.

She's finding out how intolerant the left are to a different opinion.

17. stockhausen

Capodecina

Is J.K. Rowling a rabid Tory then? I was rather under the impression that she had donated a very large sum of money to the Labour Party at some time.

I think that you, like some others, tend to describe any person or persons as being "of the Left" if you happen not to share their point of view.

18. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Not quite, trans people should not be trying to force their way into women's spaces, nor trying to force anyone with differing views that they are now 100% men or women post op or based on how they happen to identify. Trans women are trans women, not women and they never will be but that doesn't mean I'd wish them anything but happiness in their life.

I say trans women of course as it seems to be the usual issue of male voices shouting down women who don't wish to share women only spaces with them.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  19. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Explain how there's consistently higher trans support among women than among men.

20. Hagar

Sgarrista

Define women.
    That's how you do it isn't it?