1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J.K. Rowling Controversy

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Craterloads, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Why is that relevant?

Many women are not happy being forced to share their spaces with trans women.

I support trans rights but not at the expense of the rights of what is probably the most maligned group in human history.

2. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Because you are trying to pin the reaction on male voices, an attempt to amplify your 'battle of the sexes' narrative I guess, when the biggest supporters of trans rights are actually women

3. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Then you "guess" incorrectly.

4. BowdonUK

Mobster

Not really.

What is wrong with trans women being trans women?

If you're a trans person be proud of who you are.

5. RDM

Capodecina

6. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Thanks for sharing, it's a very worthwhile read and quite eye opening.

7. stockhausen

Capodecina

I (probably) agree with what she is saying but that particular site comes across as one-sided and would benefit from a "Executive Summary".

I am somewhat puzzled as to the reason that Garden Court Chambers which claims to be "Committed to fighting injustice and defending human rights" appears (according to Allison Bailey) to have been working hand-in-hand with Stonewall against one of their Tenants - I wonder why?

8. dowie

Caporegime

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/transgender-woman-should-allowed-womb-22270768

This seems pointless - it's not like it will be their eggs etc.. won't be their kid biologically - if you want to raise a kid that isn't biologically yours then there are plenty of orphans out there - shouldn't necessitate what will no doubt be a lengthy and expensive procedure in order to satisfy someone's desire to LARP at being a "mother"...

Especially if the resulting births carry a much higher risk, presumably a natural birth with a fake vagina is out of the question already... without requiring serious surgery afterwards....

Like sure, let people identify how they like within reason (i.e. yes you can be addressed as she/her and use the ladies toilet at work etc.. no you can't compete in women's sport), offer them hormones (if/when old enough to consent) and offer therapy/counselling...

Experimental surgery to satisfy someone's delusions though is just nuts...

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm disappointed in you.

10. dowie

Caporegime

:D

11. Martini1991

Caporegime

They don't see themselves as trans women, they see themselves as women though.

I personally don't have any particular problem with trans women using women's toilets (I'm pretty sure I used to be against this though at some point), same as a trans man using men's toilets.

However I do take objection to the lines of "People who menstruate", I find "women who menstruate" is absolutely fine as a sentence.

12. Newbie007

Mobster

Mens hips arent built for childbirth, they'd have to have a c-section at what 4-6 months? Chances of successful childbirth at those ages? 'We' really need to stop accepting people's mental illness as reality.

13. RDM

Capodecina

Not that I think it is a good idea, but why would they have to have a C section at 4-6 months?

14. Grim5

Mobster

Stephen King has stepped in and said he believes Trans are real women, JK is wrong

15. Hagar

Sgarrista

Stephen Kings philosophy on writing, "Throw everything down on the page don't worry about detail, thats what rewrites are for."

JK is right.:p

16. BowdonUK

Mobster

I think a lot of the reason for that mind set is because of the lobby groups are saying to them if you aren't considered a real woman ('passing' they call it) then you are nothing. Or you are self hating.

We see this attitude thrown at trans people who don't buy in to it.

17. Somnambulist

Capodecina

18. V F

Capodecina

If he then thinks trans are real women, then why do they need the operations to change? If you were a real woman you wouldn't need the surgery.

19. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Lots of trans women don't have surgery. What of them?

20. dowie

Caporegime

Wonder what effect all the HRT and organ rejection meds could have on the child... or chances of complications etc..?

But as the Surgeon pointed out - if this is offered to women then it would be discriminatory to not offer it to trans women.... since I guess "trans women are women".

I think that's the danger with that phrase - it should strictly apply to gender only and in areas where it is sex that is clearly important not gender then it shouldn't apply... such as in women's sport or in medicine etc... for example inviting a MtF trans person for a smear test and/or failing to invite a FtM trans person etc.. because of gender identity is rather silly.