January Transfer Window 2010/2011 Season Rumours/Signings

Soldato
Mods can take it down if they see it as too early but there've been loads of rumours circulating over the last few weeks.

Keep it on topic, speculation rumours and discussion of confirmed signings and their place in the squad only in here. We've got a thread for more general posts about the club so if we can keep this fairly tidy and bicker away as normal in the thread that's designed for it.

BREAKING GOSSIP

Bayern Munich have warned they will fight to keep Bastian Schweinsteiger after the midfielder admitted he was keen on a move to England. Chelsea and Manchester United are said to be interested in the 26-year-old German.
Full story: Daily Mail

Inter Milan will have one eye on Tottenham defender Gareth Bale when they visit White Hart Lane in the Champions League this week.

Juventus are ready to step up their interest in Liverpool right-back Glen Johnson amid a crisis of confidence in the Serie A giants' defence.

Maccabi Tel Aviv's 16-year-old midfielder Omri Altman has flown to England on Monday for a trial with Liverpool.
Full story: IMscouting

Manchester United are ready to launch a £35m bid to bring Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko to Old Trafford next summer.
Full story: caughtoffside

Arsenal and Tottenham are considering a January move for Liverpool defender Daniel Agger.

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson is keeping tabs on Stuttgart's Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Out-of-favour Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz, who is wanted by Fulham, is on the verge of sealing a January loan move to Spanish side Getafe.

Leicester manager Sven-Goran Eriksson will make a transfer window move for 18-year-old Manchester City striker John Guidetti, dubbed the "Swedish Wayne Rooney".
Full story: Daily Mirror

Manchester City, meanwhile, hope to bring highly rated Colombian goalkeeper Cristian Bonilla, 17, from Boyaca Chico in the teenager's home country to Eastlands.

Wigan will battle it out with Newcastle for the signature of Swansea midfielder Darren Pratley, who Latics boss Roberto Martinez appointed captain during his time as manager of the Welsh club.

Real Madrid midfielder Lassana Diarra is eyeing a January move, with his club willing to sell him to England's Premier League. Manchester United and Tottenham are expected to launch a bid.

Napoli midfielder Marek Hamsik has fuelled speculation that a deal to take him to Manchester United may be possible by saying that it would be difficult to turn down a move to Old Trafford.

On the United front we have to accept we're going to be linked to every bugger for a fair while now after this whole Rooney saga, despite Ferguson saying we don't look to do business in January.

Soldato
Ok,
January we need a striker eg Dzeko and Podoloski.
A creative midfielder like Hamsik would be nice also so Silva isnt burdened with every decent pass having to come from him.
RSC is finally leaving hopefully, Seems a nice bloke but he will never play and its good that he wants to leave as he could easily stay and pick up his 70k+ pw.

Soldato
Hughes has said he wants to buy in January, and can imagine Fulham going for another striker (at least one), a left back, and possibly another GK or centre mid.

Likely targets will be Roque Santa Cruz as the striker...although in fairness I think we need a goalscorer/poacher, but then again AJ is back now so that could fill the void.

Left back, not sure who we'll go for as it's only for backup and we have a very highly rated youngster.

Long term replacement for Murphy is going to be very hard, can see him identifying someone overseas and giving them a go, we keep getting linked to Skjelbred (moreso with Hodgson) though.

Goalkeeper i'm not sure either, Stockdale deserves a chance and I'm not even sure if Scharzer is still leaving...links with Speroni and Given, I can probably see Given signing on loan, depending on wages...and with Speroni I'm not sure whether he'd be first choice or backup.

Could maybe do with another left winger, only really got one at the club (Duff), although Dempsey/Davies can play there, but we could always just rotate/use youngsters.

Soldato
OP
be fair everyone, some turds are too big for even 300mill or so over 2 seasons to polish.

I'm quite content not purchasing in January, you don't tend to get bargains and it's tricky with players being cup tied. We may as well just ride the season out unless we find a real gem of a deal. Saying that I think we might needs to start to offload some of the chaff as we've some promising talent that needs playing time but too large a squad to fully accommodate them.

Soldato
Your not wrong, so your saying its a waste to buy another striker if we use only one anyway?

No, but who are you going to buy that is going to be good enough to warm the bench and score you some goals, but not too good that they take Tevez' place as he's scoring the most of your goals?

I thought Balotelli was the promising one, so surely in the cup games it should be him and Adebayour and Jo getting a look in?

I just don't see where another striker fits in the system really.

Soldato
No, but who are you going to buy that is going to be good enough to warm the bench and score you some goals, but not too good that they take Tevez' place as he's scoring the most of your goals?

I thought Balotelli was the promising one, so surely in the cup games it should be him and Adebayour and Jo getting a look in?

I just don't see where another striker fits in the system really.
Well i dont know that answer thats why we pay Mancini :cool:
He did look for the first 15mins against Wolves then failed miserably at the end but its his first prem game so will let him off :p. He does have a big reputation in Italy and i hope he can prove himself.
Well Jo and Balo i want to start on Thursday.

Man of Honour
Akinfeev to Manchester United.

Please let it happen, and a midfielder.

Fergie has ruled any signings out though in January as its pointless due to Cup-tied players etc apparently.

Soldato
Akinfeev to Manchester United.

Please let it happen, and a midfielder.

Fergie has ruled any signings out though in January as its pointless due to Cup-tied players etc apparently.

I can't see him signing anyone in Jan really, not enless it's an unknown and someone out of no where (a la Bebe, Diouf, etc)

I also wouldn't be surprised that he didn't keep our midfield situation as is for next season as well, even if Scholes and Giggs go, as he may want to put emphasis on players like Cleverly, Obertan etc to play.

Soldato
Well i dont know that answer thats why we pay Mancini :cool:
He did look for the first 15mins against Wolves then failed miserably at the end but its his first prem game so will let him off :p. He does have a big reputation in Italy and i hope he can prove himself.
Well Jo and Balo i want to start on Thursday.

So in the original post where you said you need a striker, you don't actually need one, as you can't think of a reason as to why :p ?

Soldato
OP
not sure about akinfeev myself. There's a few that I'd be interested in. It would be good if we could get vds to stay on for a while so we can bed a new keeper in.

I suppose we could get Reina and promote PIG and have Reina as our #2 I think he'd be alright at that.

Soldato
So in the original post where you said you need a striker, you don't actually need one, as you can't think of a reason as to why :p ?
No we dont NEED a striker but i would like someone such as Dzeko or Podolski as Jo and Ade arent great but if we dont get anyone its not going to be terrible for us as like you say we play with 1 but if Dzeko etc came i think Mancini would go with 2 up front.

Back
Top Bottom