January Transfer Window 2016/17 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
Memphis Depay will be a good addition to our collection of useless wingers.

:D :D

All the Man Utd links have been talking about multiple Italian links , probably trying to create a bidding war......knowing the Utd board they will end up giving him away ....and without any sell on /renewal clauses included.....for 2p

Soldato
Hard to get decent players in Jan, certainly players that are cup tied anyway, will be interesting to see who goes after who.

We,Liverpool, have got loads of good players in Jan inc Phil and Sturridge so it can happen.

I expect us to sign a couple to be honest. With Ings being out for the season i cant see him playing another game for us and Sturridge doesnt seem happy. Always better to buy in Jan and give them a full pre season in my opinion.

Man of Honour
I wonder if we'll try and recruit another central defender.

It's clear Mourinho isn't prepared to coach players, just replace them. I can't make sense of what's happening a lot of the time.

So we really have to buy buy buy, inflated prices or not.

Don
We,Liverpool, have got loads of good players in Jan inc Phil and Sturridge so it can happen.

I expect us to sign a couple to be honest. With Ings being out for the season i cant see him playing another game for us and Sturridge doesnt seem happy. Always better to buy in Jan and give them a full pre season in my opinion.

It's not as straight forward as you're putting it. In an ideal world we'll sign a player or two in January and like you say, it would be great to give them extra time to bed in for next season as well as being of use in the 2nd half of this season too but we don't live in an ideal world.

While clubs want to buy in January, they often don't want to sell and certainly not their better players. Coutinho and Sturridge are rare examples - they were both clearly talented players that were being wasted by their clubs/hadn't lived up to their potential and we took calculated gambles on being able to get the best out of them because we were able to sign them for reasonable fees as they were unwanted by their clubs. These players are few and far between though. Typically January signings are over priced or panic/get anybody in the door signigns - Klopp showed last January that he won't over pay and we know he won't just sign anybody if he can't get the players he wants.

I'm hopeful we might sign another forward but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Soldato
It's clear Mourinho isn't prepared to coach players, just replace them. I can't make sense of what's happening a lot of the time.

So we really have to buy buy buy, inflated prices or not.

Who though - right back, centre half, defensive mid, even arguably left back if the fall out with shaw is as bad as its portrayed in some circles.

Cant see more than 2 coming in though especially if the board (rightly or wrongly) insist on selling first.

Rumours of Mikel being chased by JM which would make me die a little inside if it happened. Apart from it being a relatively short term fix (given his age) Ive just never really thought that much of him and always considered it a lucky escape Utd never signed him .....after the original CAS fight with Chelsea all those years ago.

If it is two, then I would personally go for a centre half and a proper defensive mid and wait for the summer to get a replacement for Darmian / Valencia

edit Evra and Vidic both arrived in the same Jan and were a complete disaster the first match, after that day no-one would have predicted what they would end up doing at the club. Unfortunately these kinds of successes are very rare in Jan

Last edited:
Soldato
Who though - right back, centre half, defensive mid, even arguably left back if the fall out with shaw is as bad as its portrayed in some circles.

Cant see more than 2 coming in though especially if the board (rightly or wrongly) insist on selling first.

Rumours of Mikel being chased by JM which would make me die a little inside if it happened. Apart from it being a relatively short term fix (given his age) Ive just never really thought that much of him and always considered it a lucky escape Utd never signed him .....after the original CAS fight with Chelsea all those years ago.

If it is two, then I would personally go for a centre half and a proper defensive mid and wait for the summer to get a replacement for Darmian / Valencia

edit Evra and Vidic both arrived in the same Jan and were a complete disaster the first match, after that day no-one would have predicted what they would end up doing at the club. Unfortunately these kinds of successes are very rare in Jan

Surely the last thing United need is a defensive midfielder ?!!??

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Blind and to a lesser extent Carrick can all player the deeper screening role, do you really need another !??

United need a forward more then anything, one that moves. Oh and a couple of full backs.

Soldato
Surely the last thing United need is a defensive midfielder ?!!??

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Blind and to a lesser extent Carrick can all player the deeper screening role, do you really need another !??

United need a forward more then anything, one that moves. Oh and a couple of full backs.

Schweinsteiger is being frozen out (and wasnt that great last year)
Scheiderlin has played one game this season so is more than likely on his way out.
Blind is seen as a defender more than a central mid - and not sure he has the build for a centre half or a defensive mid although his reading of the game is usually decent. At best a stop gap for a central role.
The team needs a player who can play week in week out , and Carrick seemingly cant (and given he is 35 is hardly surprising).

Shaw needs time to fully recover from his broken leg last season, so imo no we dont need a full back on that side.

We should have more than enough attackers, just need to get them converting the chances being created

Soldato
Why are you all talking about Jose and Utd performancr in a transfer thread????? I hope warnings are dished out!!! :p

Back on topic: is Martial going to be out of the door? What a waste of money, if so. Not to mention the 30 odd million Schendilerlin, surely he's gone too?

Caporegime
Manchester United have had no solid transfer policy for several windows now, and financially they have overspent on the wrong players.

Slap dash approach.

Hoping Sheffield Wednesday can remove some deadwood at the club, there's plenty, and actually find a coherent transfer policy too, would love some additions in the right areas. I reject the notion that we have 'improved' on last season, we've sort of stagnated a little with fairly meh signings.

Soldato
Manchester United have had no solid transfer policy for several windows now, and financially they have overspent on the wrong players.

Doesnt help when you have three managers coming in during a relatively short time frame with completely different approaches.

From transfer fees point of view I dont think Utd have overspent significantly (Fellaini cost more than he would have weeks before, but compared to turnover at the club etc it was peanuts). Schneiderlin / Depay may well end up not working for Utd but hopefully shouldnt lose significanly on either player.

As everyone knows young players from abroad are always a risk, sometimes they adapt sometimes they dont.

Martial 's struggling in his 2nd season, is this personal or something to do with JM - not sure anyone knows. If we sell him soon we wont be paying Monaco anything like the max £50m~ often quoted as the extras wont come into effect. If we dont sell him, its more than likely he has performed more like last season so he will have been worth it anyway.

No one knows yet whether Pogba will be worth it or not, but given his age and his performances so far (even if inconsistant) - its not too hard to see him being thought of as a reasonable buy at the end of his career (or if RM / Barca/ BM buy him in a few years)

£80/86m for Ronaldo /Bale was worth more however many years ago those happened than £90 odd million is today. They may be flair players but even so

Wages have been stupidly high but transfer fees really havent been.

Back
Top Bottom