January Transfer Window Thread - rumours and signings here

Associate
By dealing with do you mean Arshavin or Zenit St Petersburg?

Zenit and that nice agent he has.

Zenit don't need the money and I think that both sides were playing hard to get for most of the month. With Arsenal seemingly not willing to budge and Zenit knowing he desperately wanted to leave I think they may have folded at the end.

If the fee was around the £12mil then it could turn out to be a good deal (although potentially another Reyes).

I think that Gooner14 is right also when he talks about our lack of negotiator. There have been quite a few games in quick succession recently and Arsene pointed out inbetween games that preparing for the games was more important than the ongoing transfer saga.

Last edited:
Soldato
05f3b961.jpg

Soldato
Liking all the merchandising that's already on the website regarding Arshavin lol - that's the reason the whole thing was held up ... was so they could get all the shirts mocked up / printed and photos done etc :p

Associate
The so called agent acting for Arse has just been on SSN. Apparently we payed "considerably more" than what is being quoted but knowing us I can't see it.

12m up to 15-16 with addons?

Caporegime
I herd that it was 15 million.
Which is a lot for a player, in my opinion.

Hope he turns out to be worth that much money.
Keane returning to Spurs ! haha :D
Made me laugh, I've always thought Keane was a half decent player, I thought 20 million was too much for him. Playing him out of position / not giving him a solid run in the team, is the right way to use a 20 million player.

Man of Honour
The "agent" on tv I'm not so sure about. The Daily Mail *pukes* says it's £10m, as does The Times Online section. However Arsenal's own website says undisclosed.

The Guardian says a club record of £15m, which isn't in agreement with anybody else. Also, didn't we pay £16m up front for Reyes?*

The Independant who when quoting Zenith's own website which itself is quoting a Russian news source is saying :

""The St Petersburg club will receive £16.5million - £15m for the transfer of the player and £1.5m compensation for breaking a long-term contract.

"In addition there is a further 500,000 Euros [£450,000] in bonuses which Arshavin has not yet received which will not be paid and instead make up part of the transfer sum.

"The overall sum of the transfer is around US Dollars 24m [£16.9m].""

So all in all, who knows? We I don't think really have that much money, but as we held out right to the death, the Russians' probably don't wanna give the impression that they eventually caved in. Who knows.

*This is what really annoys me, at first, then throughout a player's new club will different figures appear for his transfer moves. Am I the only one to get figures confused after a while? :/

Last edited:
Soldato
At last the farce has ended and we've got our man, but I hope that all of us fellow Gooners don't think he'll be the answer to all our problems, but I just hope he'll give us the necessary boost to get us finishing fourth.

Caporegime
At last the farce has ended and we've got our man, but I hope that all of us fellow Gooners don't think he'll be the answer to all our problems, but I just hope he'll give us the necessary boost to get us finishing fourth.

I can see him helping in the short term, you never know, he might turn into such a good striker that we see the end of playing ade, 4-5-1 and big man football(which we suck at so badly) and he could be brilliant.

But we've scored 2 less than utd, and conceded 25 to utd's 10, it was clear from the very first preseason game where the problem in the squad lies, it was ridiculously obvious from the first month of playing and that we didn't get anyone in for August was a joke, not doing so now is bordering on the insanity.

It will be interesting to see exactly where he does play, as everyone has had a different opinion. IN this thread alone people have suggested right wing, fabregas's role, RVP's role, somewhere between the two and a up top front man. I think slotting into Fabregas's role for now wouldn't be surprising, but when Cesc is back, I have no clue where he'll be playing.

IT does worry me that if he plays mostly in Cesc's position, that losing Cesc to a huge money transfer could be a real possibility this or next summer. I pray to god he wasn't signed as a replacement under the assumption we can't hold on to Cesc if we drop out of league contention for a few years.

Caporegime
Arshavin probably isn't the answer to Arsenals problems, But he is a good* signing.

*I think he was over rated a bit by the media, but this happens to most players after a good game. Hope he turns out to be a good signing for Arsenal.

Think they'd have done better selling Gallas and getting a couple of defenders / defensive midfielders.
Arsenal fans have however being saying this all season.

Back
Top Bottom