Jasmin Paris becomes first female winner of 268-mile ultra marathon

Soldato
Great achievement!

From my experiences in this type of race (cycling, not running), there isn't a gap between sexes like you'd see in shorter races and, if anything, women are actually better at ultra-endurance racing than men.

Statistically women have a higher pain tolerance than men, so that could be the reason.

But frankly, this is an amazing feat.

Associate
It's a good achievement but I do wonder how competitive this 268 marathon is given the margin she won by. Even accounting for breaks she was going just above average walking pace, so it seems to be an exercise in sleep management and tenacity rather than athleticism.

Easy for you to say from the comfort of your sofa or computer chair!

The route climbed 43000 feet, or nearly 1.5 times Everest... I'd say maintaining average walking pace is impressive! Heck, she slept 3 hours in total and was hallucinating due to exhaustion towards the end.

Whether there was much competition or not that is an amazing performance!

/Salsa

Soldato
so run one then

Do you think running is the best strategy?

Easy for you to say from the comfort of your sofa or computer chair!

The route climbed 43000 feet, or nearly 1.5 times Everest... I'd say maintaining average walking pace is impressive! Heck, she slept 3 hours in total and was hallucinating due to exhaustion towards the end.

Whether there was much competition or not that is an amazing performance!

/Salsa

It took 17 posts before someone finally ****s all over a great achievement, is OcUK going soft?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a great achievement, even more so at that altitude which the OP did not reference.

My point is that it is no surprise that records are being smashed when someone is doing a niche activity like an ultra marathon spanning multiple days. Most humans have never gone a night without sleep let alone attempting an ultra marathon at the same time.

Caporegime
Do you think running is the best strategy?

Don't get me wrong I think it is a great achievement, even more so at that altitude which the OP did not reference.

My point is that it is no surprise that records are being smashed when someone is doing a niche activity like an ultra marathon spanning multiple days. Most humans have never gone a night without sleep let alone attempting an ultra marathon at the same time.

Ultramarathon running is not that niche though, it is rapidly growing in popularity. A race I registered for sold out in under 2 minutes.

There always tends to be a very competitive front pack so as soon as a race has occurred for a few years then there are some very fast times out there. The large wining margins comes down to the duration of the race and the large variety of conditions.

Also, when looking at races this long it is not possible to estimate what it feel like or how long it might take. Most of these ultra long races do only require a brisk walking pace. Howeve,r you have to factor in the elevation gain, technical nature, and all rest stops. Any rests really adds up and quickly require that the walkign pace is no longer feasible.

As an example a 90km race I did last summer, there were some incredibly technical and steep parts where I was averaging less than 30 minutes a mile. I have a 2:56 marathon PR (which is soft compare dot what I'm capable of). This spring I hope to be able to average around 6:30 min/mile for the 26miles. In the summer I am sigend up for a 170km race. There are sections where I will be happy with a 30-40 minute mile pace. There are downhill parts where 25-30 minutes a mile will be good going. You start estimating what 1 hour sleep in 48 hours of racing does to required pacing and suddenly you find that even a brisk pace is not sufficient.

Caporegime
TBH she doesn't sound like a very responsible mother given that she was pushing her body to the point of exhaustion with a baby to feed, if the baby was on artificial milk then fair enough but half the story is about her breastfeeding along the way.

I think the problem with these races is that you won't get many professional athletes competing because it's more about mental determination and will to win than physical prowess, her mental toughness must be off the charts but the only reason she'll have been suffering from exhaustion and hallucinations is due to sleep depravation. As someone else said her average speed was about walking speed. I am surprised you can put on events like this these days without a minimum mandated rest period for health and safety.

Soldato
TBH she doesn't sound like a very responsible mother given that she was pushing her body to the point of exhaustion with a baby to feed, if the baby was on artificial milk then fair enough but half the story is about her breastfeeding along the way.
Article I read said she had expressed milk in advance for the baby, but had to express at the stops to prevent mastitis. And it's a 14 month old baby, so far from being exclusively breast fed.

Soldato

Yeah, who let her out of the kitchen :mad: It's not like a man could assist in such matters

Back
Top Bottom