Jasmin Paris becomes first female winner of 268-mile ultra marathon

Soldato
You've added nothing to this thread and just came in here to **** post.
but what do you think i'm offended by?

I've added no less to the thread than your nonsense post belittling or rather trying to belittle the achievement. and when questioned on it you're now trying to throw round nonsense about me being offended or posting ****…..you angry much?

Soldato
It's a good achievement but I do wonder how competitive this 268 marathon is given the margin she won by. Even accounting for breaks she was going just above average walking pace, so it seems to be an exercise in sleep management and tenacity rather than athleticism.

That's nonsense.
83 hours is 3.5 days. That would be 10 meals for normal days, probably over 15 food stops when you're burning so many calories. If it takes 45 mins to setup cooking equipment, cook a meal, eat, clean up and pack away, thats over 11 hours downtime. Add in 4 hours for sleep (3 hours actual sleep + 30 mins getting changed and setting up sleep system and 30 mins getting changed again and packing away sleep kit). So, before even considering toilet stops, refilling water bottles, breast feeding, navigating, admin at checkpoint, etc, there's a minimum of 15 hours non-moving time included in that total.
That's like 6 hour marathon pace...but you're doing 10 of them back-to-back.

Soldato
That's nonsense.
83 hours is 3.5 days. That would be 10 meals for normal days, probably over 15 food stops when you're burning so many calories. If it takes 45 mins to setup cooking equipment, cook a meal, eat, clean up and pack away, thats over 11 hours downtime. Add in 4 hours for sleep (3 hours actual sleep + 30 mins getting changed and setting up sleep system and 30 mins getting changed again and packing away sleep kit). So, before even considering toilet stops, refilling water bottles, breast feeding, navigating, admin at checkpoint, etc, there's a minimum of 15 hours non-moving time included in that total.

The original post says 7 hours for breaks. For food I would imagine it would be basic gel packs and calorie dense energy bars. What's this cooking equipment lark, in a competitive race why would you do that when there are faster ways to get calories?

Soldato
It's a good achievement but I do wonder how competitive this 268 marathon is given the margin she won by. Even accounting for breaks she was going just above average walking pace, so it seems to be an exercise in sleep management and tenacity rather than athleticism.

That's a lot of what endurance sport is about, nutrition, strategy and tenacity above out right athleticism. It's the same in some cases with endurance cycling. Slow and steady over huge distances will normally prevail. The problem is that if you go too fast, once tired, your performance can completely bomb. You can tell from your post you've not tried anything endurance related otherwise you'd understand. I was of the same mindset until I tried things myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
The original post says 7 hours for breaks. For food I would imagine it would be basic gel packs and calorie dense energy bars. What's this cooking equipment lark, in a competitive race why would you do that when there are faster ways to get calories?

The FAQ on the official site says that the front runners will take a lightweight stove so presumably they know what they're doing and that's the fastest way.
It's much lighter to carry dehydrated food and a lightweight stove than it is to carry ready-to-eat food.
I don't take a stove when racing on my bike but you cover much more distance on a bike so resupply options come sooner. I can see why it would be more efficient for runners to carry dehydrated food.

Soldato
That's a lot of what endurance sport is about, nutrition, strategy and tenacity above out right athleticism. It's the same in some cases with endurance cycling. Slow and steady over huge distances will normally prevail. The problem is that if you go too fast, once tired, your performance can completely bomb. You can tell from your post you've not tried anything endurance related otherwise you'd understand. I was of the same mindset until I tried things myself.

You're right I haven't done anything endurance related and am not suited to it. But I do understand the need for a good strategy, lactate threshold, avoiding carb depletion etc. I've watched an ultra marathon race through my home town for the past couple of years so knew there was a lot of walking involved.

Man of Honour
When Eddie Izzard did 43 marathons in 51 days that was an amazing feat but people still had a go because he was taking up to 14 hours to complete each one :rolleyes:
All I can say is you do it.
He also did 27 marathons in 27 days.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Chap in work did a 50 mile marathon. Took him 9hrs through the black mountains of Wales... fig rolls every so often and gel packs every hour is how he got through it.

Whilst it’s not an ultra the longest I did was a 60 mile charity fundraiser (walked Swansea to Cardiff) and it was enough to ruin me. People assume that because you’re walking that it’s “easy”. What they forget is that your shoes will rub, knees get sore and your body starts giving up because of the calorie defacit.

Caporegime
It's a strange one, I've done a fair few days of 20-30 mile walks and have felt fine after them. I've also done days where I've only walked 10 and feel like I've been hit by a bus. Feet screwed, knees aching, hips throbbing. Biggest threat though...gooch chafage and nipple rub. Just awful.
She cannot be in good condition after that distance!

Caporegime
OP
Don't get me wrong I think it is a great achievement, even more so at that altitude which the OP did not reference.

He's just giving the total height climbed, the race didn't take place at some high altitude, it was in the UK.

Caporegime
OP
That's nonsense.

Apparently she only had 7 hours of breaks, so presumably pretty much next to no sleep. I suspect she wasn't cooking anything, I mean that would be an obvious waste of time.

edit - saw someone else pointed out the above

The FAQ on the official site says that the front runners will take a lightweight stove so presumably they know what they're doing and that's the fastest way.

It isn't, it is more there as something everyone has to take but that the fastest probably don't intend to use (save for in an emergency), ditto to say a sleeping bag and shelter that they must carry too:

https://thespinerace.com/kit-list/

Racing snakes are very unlikely to stop for a brew (or in a cafe for that matter), so are likely to carry the lightest possible cooking equipment (the Alpkit Kraku is just 45g and £24). Jetboils are popular with mid-packers, but are seriously heavy. Is it really worth the weight? Instead of stopping for an unsatisfactory brew, you could be at the check point 15 minutes sooner, getting a much better one, plus a hot meal, from a lovely smiley volunteer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's a good achievement but I do wonder how competitive this 268 marathon is given the margin she won by.

Not much yet, but the whole thing of ultramarathons (in both distance and conditions) is growing. They're running marathon des sables twice a year now because of the demand, plus a half-length version. That's for people who are a bit weird - ~160 mile marathon on sand, up and down almost all the way, in a desert in the day during summer when it will be over 40C in the shade...if there was any shade, which there isn't. While carrying a heavy weight in food and water. Sir Ranulph Fiennes did it a couple of years back and his first words at the finish were "I don't feel very good". When he says something like that, you know it's been terribly hard going. Apparently there's an arguably worse one run up a mountain in Death Valley, but marathon des sables is the famous "ridiculously long race in ludicrous heat" ultramarathon.

Even accounting for breaks she was going just above average walking pace, so it seems to be an exercise in sleep management and tenacity rather than athleticism.

The distance makes it a different kettle of fish especially when it's not on the flat. I'd bet she'd be a fair bit quicker round and round a track. It's quite surprising how much difference a slope makes. It's easy to walk a few miles. It's not just extra time to walk 268 miles. You need the athleticism to keep your body functional for that distance, especially with sleep deprivation on top. Humans are very well adapted for endurance running (for persistence hunting) but that's for a couple of dozen miles, not hundreds. If you've chased an antelope for 20 miles and you haven't caught it, you've lost it. Hunting failed, try again tomorrow.

Soldato
I think the problem with these races is that you won't get many professional athletes competing because it's more about mental determination and will to win than physical prowess, her mental toughness must be off the charts but the only reason she'll have been suffering from exhaustion and hallucinations is due to sleep depravation. As someone else said her average speed was about walking speed. I am surprised you can put on events like this these days without a minimum mandated rest period for health and safety.

The reason you don't get professional athletes competing is because there is no money involved so it's a bit of a waste of their training time and grant money. I think having mental determination and will to win is a bit of a prerequisite for being a pro so saying that's why they don't take part is laughable. If money comes in that will all change (look at the massive growth of Ironman for example).

Caporegime
The reason you don't get professional athletes competing is because there is no money involved so it's a bit of a waste of their training time and grant money. I think having mental determination and will to win is a bit of a prerequisite for being a pro so saying that's why they don't take part is laughable. If money comes in that will all change (look at the massive growth of Ironman for example).

Professional athletes do take part in ultras, and usually win. But unlike road running and athletics there are less sponsors and less money going around so the definition gets a bit blurred. And there is no prize money.
The women in question, jasmin, may be considered a professional because she is sponsored. Very few professional ultra athletes earn enough form sponsoring alone not to have some other job. It is also the case that there is only so much training you can do, so it is possible opt have a full time job and train close to your potential. A full time running athlete might only put in an extra 10-20% miles, but adds more time with strength workouts, recovery, cross-training, stretching, massages. All of the latter adds a small amount to the final performance. Note even within a big road marathon, it is not unusual for non-professional athlete to win as happened in Boston last year.

The bigger ultra races can see 50-100 professional athletes, the biggest traces several hundred. TO do well still requires incredible athletic performance, huge training volume, and a lot of natural luck/good genetic. The strategy and mental toughness only adds to the sportsmanship, this doesn't deter professionals.In fact, the slight leveling effect can often be an attraction. Those professionals that know they will enver break top 20 in a marathon major due to dominance from the east Africans can enter Ultras knowing they have a good shot of placing, that can increase their sponsorship money.

Caporegime
Yeah, just like how extreme strongman weightlifting doesn't punish the body at all.

Extreme applications of the human body != regular exercise. Regular jogging and running is fine. Marathon running and pushing your body to extremes is not. Fairly simple concept.

Weight lifting has nothing to do with running. Sky diving without a parachute is also very dangerous, you point is invalid.

Marathon running and pushing your body to extremes is perfectly fine. Marathon and ultra runners are far healthier than the average population, suffer less muscular-skeletal issues, have better mental health, live longer. Humans evolved to run ultramarathons, that is why we are so good at it, better than almost every single animal on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom