Job ideas for 60 year old builder out of work

Associate
Hi there,

Doing a bit of brain storming for something that my dad can do to earn a bit of cash before he retires and to stop living off of his savings and capital. He has been a self employed builder, plumber, carpenter, electrician, landscaper, the lot for the last 45 years since he left school. Work has dried up and even his regular customers aren't asking for any work.

He's been in this slump for quite a while now and is only surviving because the mortgage is paid off and has no debts. Any ideas as to what he could do? Builders firms I assume won't take him on due to his age, he's not the most physcially fit any more, is not computer literate at all (he struggles with a mobile phone) and has never been employed by anyone, ever, so no references and has no educational qualifications. Building is his life.

Best idea we'ce come up with so far is mini cabbing, though not sure how it works with working for a firm or yourself and insurance implications? I suggested delivery driving for UPS or the Post Office or something, but doubt it without job references?

Any ideas or previous experience? (Live in North London by the way)

Permabanned
He can use big customers or jobs as references. (if they are willing)

I am not taking the **** here but how about a supermarket or something? not great pay, but if you stick in hours offer to cover for people etc?

Caporegime
Well given that he has expertise in the area, how about B&Q? They prefer employing older people, and he might be able to go in as a department head or something?

Associate
There is always work for a tradesman and as you say he is multiskilled, that is a goldmine of experience.

It might be quieter at the moment as people are saving for Xmas but a lot of people are still getting extensions, or refurbs done on their homes rather than keep it in savings, or buy/sell as the market is unsteady.

He just needs to advertise his skills.

Associate
Try builders merchants etc, perhaps he could help on counter or phones taking orders etc, not everyone who phones/goes in knows what they need, he could help.

or perhaps B&Q, Homebase etc places like that, garden centres, plumb centres.....

Associate
OP
B&Q is a good idea, thanks guys will suggest that one to him. Will have to see what he could do there as I'm not so sure he'd be any good at merchandising etc, but could advise customers on exactly what they need for any job at they could imagine.

Don
Another one for B+Q

my Dad was in same situation, he retired as a builder about 5 years ago, he now works part time at Center Parcs as a handyman etc

Suspended
Hi there,

Doing a bit of brain storming for something that my dad can do to earn a bit of cash before he retires and to stop living off of his savings and capital. He has been a self employed builder, plumber, carpenter, electrician, landscaper, the lot for the last 45 years since he left school. Work has dried up and even his regular customers aren't asking for any work.

He's been in this slump for quite a while now and is only surviving because the mortgage is paid off and has no debts. Any ideas as to what he could do? Builders firms I assume won't take him on due to his age, he's not the most physcially fit any more, is not computer literate at all (he struggles with a mobile phone) and has never been employed by anyone, ever, so no references and has no educational qualifications. Building is his life.

Best idea we'ce come up with so far is mini cabbing, though not sure how it works with working for a firm or yourself and insurance implications? I suggested delivery driving for UPS or the Post Office or something, but doubt it without job references?

If he just wants to earn a wage then have him apply to one of the supermarkets, either to work on the tills or stack shelves. There's no shame in that and it's decent money.

Caporegime
Hi there,

My Dad lost his job at 50. He was a professor in Marine Biology and couldn't get employed again.

He started his own landscape gardening business mixed with cutting grass/trimming work for old grannies. Pays well enough for a retired person. Not too stressful, outside, quite fun at times. Usually cuts back undergrowth, digs out patio areas, builds retaining walls. Charges by the hour. Most business with friends or friends of friends.

He might do hard physical labour for a few hours in the morning, then cut peoples lawns in the afternoon.

Caporegime
Offer himself out as a handyman, cards in chipshop,newsagents, cheap adverts in free papers etc

I have a mate who can do pretty much all the things your dad can do and he's busy all the time.

Big companies won;t even quote quite often for little one or two hour jobs.

Back
Top Bottom