Jobs in Australia

Soldato
I've thought of emigrating myself, but I'm fortunate in that my occupation (when I qualify) is sought by the Australian government, as they're desperate to rebuild their Merchant fleet. I've visted Fremantle and Melbourne, and loved both places, but would have to visit again, and for longer before I make any decisions. However what is causing me hesitation as others have said, is the cost of living.

I'd also have to see what sort of pay and conditions I can expect down there compared to the UK. For example, while living in the UK and working at sea, if I spend over 180 days a year outside UK waters, I don't pay income tax, only NI contributions. That in itself is a massive plus for staying in the UK to me if the Australian government don't offer the same for seafarers.

Soldato
I've visted Fremantle and Melbourne, and loved both places,

What did you love about Freemantle? I found it really really weird. Loads of derelict buildings, old people wandering about the english-esque pier, plus lots of crappy second hand book shops and cafe's. It felt like I was in Exmouth (Devon).

Associate
I am moving to Sydney this year - not sure when yet just in the process of getting my VISA sorted. I expect to land a job fairly easily (Linux SA/Eng area seems to be in some demand) - but I am under no illusions as to living costs. Any increase in pay will be obliterated by the rent increase alone.

Man of Honour
What did you love about Freemantle? I found it really really weird. Loads of derelict buildings, old people wandering about the english-esque pier, plus lots of crappy second hand book shops and cafe's. It felt like I was in Exmouth (Devon).

Littel creatures and the food places along the harbour are great.
Few realy nice pubs as well.

Soldato

How long ago was this? When I was there in October I didn't see any derelict buildings (lots of building going on though) or that many old people about, well not a disproportionate number anyway. Plenty of rather tasty looking ladies though:D, although I had been at sea with an all male crew for pretty much a month at that point, so my standards may have adjusted downward accordingly.

In my opinion, Fremantle seemed to have quite a relaxed ambience to it, and while there were older buildings about, none were derelict and were in use, such as Fremantle markets. I suppose you could call it character, and the locals seemed quite friendly too. And besides, Perth's a 20 minute train ride away to boot.

Associate
I don't understand why people are saying the cost of living is so high and a pint will cost you £5+..

I was there a few years ago (when the exchange rate was better, admittedly) and I found food and alcohol to be cheaper than over here. Fresh food especially so, since usually it is grown locally

I'm from Tasmania originally and think you're really underestimating the effect of the exchange rate. It is a very big change from a couple of years ago where £1 used to be around $2.5AUD. Now it's ~ $1.5 which is a massive massive change. Alcohol almost definitely is _not_ cheaper. Even in 2007 when I moved to the UK and the exchange rate was around £1:$2.5AUD alcohol in the UK was much cheaper.

Also worth keeping in mind is that flights from Australia to/from the rest of the world tend to be a bit more expensive than in the UK as the local market will bear it. Offpeak I think you can fly to Australia from the UK for about £800 return. Offpeak Australia to the UK you're probably looking at about $2000 return (£1350ish).

Last edited:
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;21068557 said:
This is utter nonsense and you should stop posting about things you have no grasp on.

In comparison, if I did the same job in Oz, I'd be getting double what I earn here, not sure how true the degree part is, but my brother earns more than the people he works with because he has a degree and they don't.

If you're an engineer then moving to Australia is a very good idea at the moment. The money is obscene and theres a huge shortage of technically minded people over there.

My brother is an engineer, with a degree, probably why he's minted

Soldato
I'm from Tasmania originally and think you're really underestimating the effect of the exchange rate. It is a very big change from a couple of years ago where £1 used to be around $2.5AUD. Now it's ~ $1.5 which is a massive massive change. Alcohol almost definitely is _not_ cheaper. Even in 2007 when I moved to the UK and the exchange rate was around £1:$2.5AUD alcohol in the UK was much cheaper.

Hmm, I went in 2008 when the exchange rate was almost exactly $2 AUD to 1GBP. Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't remember thinking "wow, that was an expensive pint" and I definitely would have, as I was living on a food budget of $20 - $30/week.

I suppose if I'd paid $6 for a beer back in 2008, that would have been £3. but today you'd be looking at more like £4.50?

Man of Honour

I suppose if I'd paid $6 for a beer back in 2008, that would have been £3. but today you'd be looking at more like £4.50?

try £7
$10 was normall pretty much everywhere on the west coast.
And £3 for a bottle of coke 500-600ml ones.

£15+ for your normal pub burger and chips.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're an engineer then moving to Australia is a very good idea at the moment. The money is obscene and theres a huge shortage of technically minded people over there. The last project I worked on over there, 80% of the engineering was done by expats.

Which is why I'm currently looking around out there, I could more than double my salary by taking a position that is technically lower than my existing one :p

Caporegime
To the OP:

Best bet is to get a working holiday visa as people have mentioned. This is one year, or two years if you work 3 months in agriculture. I recommend the two year visa and also doing the 3 months of agriculture work as soon as you land (and somewhere like perth or queensland).

This gives you a two years visa rather than having to work for a year and then finding you have to go off and work elsewhere for 3 months to get another year!! Doing the agriculture bit really breaks things up when you are renting.

You have a 6 month limit with an employer and you should try to get a job where sponsorship would be likely. Find a company in your field and apply to them directly, you can use recruitment agencies but these make it very very hard to sponsor you (often the release fees are just too high!! $$40k+). Use a recruitment agency maybe for your first six month stint to get some cash from any job, then try going solo with actual companies you'd like to work for.

Salaries are pretty high and cost of living can be high but it's easy to live on a budget. My cousin and his girlfriend picked up random jobs, he works for a bank fraud department and she is a PA. Both get about $80k AUD which includes quite a bit of overtime on the top - this is 54k GBP!!

They have taken a room in a house with some great people and are saving a lot of money. Far more than they would have saved living and working in the UK and they have a fun life. They get quite a bit back from the tax man too and also get their pension back if they leave.

I've been here for about 18 months and absolutely love it.

Mostly right but there are a few points to add. It's not just agriculture that can allow you a second WHV, for example mining is another and there are a few more AFAIK.

Also you may not have to search for a second job after your 6 months are up. It may depend on sector again but companies are adept at circumventing that particular WHV issue. I know several people who worked for single companies over the 6 month limit, with the company doing a bit of legal jiggery pokery (moving them to another "company" etc.) and the people doing the same job for 8 months, a year or more (on a WHV).

Caporegime
Well I have an Earth Science degree, with 6 years environmental planning and more recently asset management experience.

I have made several threads over the years about emigrating and not done it yet. This year seems right, I actually have savings now, moved out of parents to experience living on my own, I feel confident at work so am going to apply to Auz and NZ, and see what happens.

I am 83% sure I meet the criteria for the Skilled Migrant Cat, at least in NZ anyway.

EDIT: OP Why would someone give you a proper job with no experience? I'm not trying to be cruel but unless you have a mega degree why would they employ a foreigner with no work experience over an Australian graduate?

Just something to think about, try get a proper job in UK get 3 years work experience then apply for a visa. If you struggle for a job here go on a WHV, if you get a job out there then brilliant! If you don't then you can come back to the dole, recession, cuts and have a bleak existence in the UK ahahaha...

Because some degrees appear to be worth more if they are British degrees than Australian degrees. Earth Science is one, with UK grads preferred over australian grads due to the stuff we learn that they don't (apparently... this more than once from more than one person with experience in this). It also doesn't help that some sectors are desperate for more grads than Australia delivers a year...:p

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;21069269 said:
Even West Sydney rents will make your UK eyes water. Scope the prices before leaving :)

It's very easy to keep rent low if you don't mind taking a room a little way out.

My cousin and his gf pay 460 a week for a room in a nice big house close to the city (darlinghurst), all bills included.

However, my rent is $1200 a week. Those eyes watering yet? :)

Man of Honour
I don't understand why people are saying the cost of living is so high and a pint will cost you £5+..

I was there a few years ago (when the exchange rate was better, admittedly) and I found food and alcohol to be cheaper than over here. Fresh food especially so, since usually it is grown locally. I can't comment on rent and house prices but I assume salaries are reflected accordingly.

A friend of mine moved there a couple of months ago, and several work colleagues were sent out there for a month. They've all been in shock of how much more expensive is over there compared to what it was a few years ago. £5 would actually be considered very reasonable for a pint in a pub now. Fresh fruit - again one example that was cited was bananas, grown locally in Australia, more expensive to buy than in the UK where we import them.

I'm sure there are some 'cheap' areas but from what I understand most of the jobs are focussed around the big metropolitan areas. You earn a lot more out there but people need to realise that those huge salaries will take a bit of a hit from living costs. Not saying that is reason enough to rule out emigrating but people shouldn't assume that doubling their salary will give them as much extra disposable income as they might have imagined.

Back
Top Bottom