Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Y1B2LC1.jpg

• American journalist Grant Wahl has died while covering the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, according to a video posted by his brother Friday evening
  • He died while covering the Netherlands-Argentina quarterfinal match in Doha
  • Wahl, 48, was 'healthy' before he collapsed during a game Friday, according to brother Eric in an Instagram video he posted
  • Eric, who is gay, said he believes his brother - who was detained before the USA-Wales match for wearing a rainbow flag shirt - may have been killed
  • Wahl said: 'I am the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the world cup. I do not believe my brother just died, I believe he was killed'

I've been to Football games in Scotland and felt perfectly safe too, you were the one that compared the two. My point is, you can't really compare something with a snapshot of your time spent there when there clearly is also a football violence issue.
International games tend to be much more tame than derby club matches also.

Oh look 4 officials in Brussels arrested for... checks notes... corruption caused by Qatar trying to influence governments, whoduthunk it ey?

You open the door even an inch on dirty money and the hinges will come off.

i see mr lycett is doing a 'christmas special' on C4 of his show 'got your back' - focusing on his retarded stunt. seems he 'locked horns' with david beckham......

Last edited:
More hypocrisy, I'd estimated the majority of the celebrities who have criticised Beckham over Qatar have either been to one of the Gulf states on holiday or been to a location with similar homosexuality laws or indeed accepted money from related entities.

David Beckham is furious after model Vogue Williams criticised him when she turned down a chance to visit Qatar in solidarity with her gay sister.

Ms Williams called the former footballer a '*****bag' over his £10 million deal to be the face of the country's World Cup, with homosexuality illegal there.

Now Beckham's friends are hitting back, pointing out that Ms Williams and her husband Spencer Matthews boasted about a holiday earlier this year to the Maldives, where it is also against the law to be gay. Those who are can be imprisoned for six months.

It's just woke to be seen to do it and Joe picked Beckham as the target here so off they go with the current thing even though until then they had no issues spending money themselves in these countries or indeed in the case of one UK TV presented, being paid significant sums of money.

Just proves it's all virtue signalling aimed at enhancing celebrity profiles. There's no substance behind most of it and barely stands upto even the most basic of scrutiny without making oneself look like a racist/bigot.

Meanwhile most sane people just carry on and fly on Qatar/Emirates, taking off from Heathrow Airport, heating their home with Qatari gas etc etc etc.

Oh and at the end of the world cup which has gone without a hitch, with very few people complaining about its organisation, safety particularly for women and families, no violence/mobs etc etc. Who would have thought a country that deals with people from all over the world day in day out will be able to host a world cup.

The people that believed all the media nonsense before the cup must feel like mugs.

The anti israel fake news, the fyre festival fake news etc etc.

Last edited:
Just proves it's all virtue signalling aimed at enhancing celebrity profiles. There's no substance behind most of it and barely stands upto even the most basic of scrutiny without making oneself look like a racist/bigot.

Meanwhile most sane people just carry on and fly on Qatar/Emirates, taking off from Heathrow Airport, heating their home with Qatari gas etc etc etc.

Oh and at the end of the world cup which has gone without a hitch, with very few people complaining about its organisation, safety particularly for women and families, no violence/mobs etc etc. Who would have thought a country that deals with people from all over the world day in day out will be able to host a world cup.

The people that believed all the media nonsense before the cup must feel like mugs.

The anti israel fake news, the fyre festival fake news etc etc.
Are you forgetting the thousands of dead Indians?

Are you forgetting the thousands of dead Indians?
Yes I am actually, because again it was a thing that none actually knows how many died.
Not only that but apparently the World Cup acted as a way to change the laws. Otherwise they would have continued having the poor labour laws.

So really it worked for the better…

The press even worked on denigrating Qatar after the emir gave him a bisht to wear.

With the usual BBC Gary linekar calling it a shame...
The world cup made the prejudices so obvious its not even funny.

Last edited:
Yes I am actually, because again it was a thing that none actually knows how many died.
Not only that but apparently the World Cup acted as a way to change the laws. Otherwise they would have continued having the poor labour laws.

I think that is a fair summary; if you ignore all the migrant deaths, the homophobic controls on the clothes that fans were allowed to wear inside the stadium, all the empty seats and the rampant corruption that lead to the tournament being held there in the first place - then it's clear the tournament has been a resounding success.

Last edited:

The press even worked on denigrating Qatar after the emir gave him a bisht to wear.

With the usual BBC Gary linekar calling it a shame...
The world cup made the prejudices so obvious its not even funny.

I think that is a fair summary; if you ignore all the migrant deaths, the homophobic controls on the clothes that fans were allowed to wear inside the stadium, all the empty seats and the rampant corruption that lead to the tournament being held there in the first place - then it's clear the tournament has been a resounding success.

Really are we still saying a country banning articles of clothing is homophobic?
Empty seats? Is that a problem really?
Corruption - I blame the takers not the givers.

But yes its obvious it was a resounding success....

This is all the same nonsense they were peddling before the tournament which turned out to be absolute nonsense. Which is better, no Rainbow hats or the whole of a city trashed by football fans.

Anyone remember the hugely racist coverage that those brown people can't possibly be football fans, they must be paid actors.

Meanwhile the streets of Karachi.

Last edited:
Banking rainbow hats stopped the fans trashing cities??
No their system of governance stopped fans trashing cities, which as you can see is highly effective (again not a surprise that they know how to deal with people and ensure peace, they do it day in day out especailly when foreigners outnumber locals so such a large degree)
It also stopped the bucket hats.

Last edited:
No their system of governance stopped fans trashing cities, which as you can see is highly effective (again not a surprise that they know how to deal with people and ensure peace, they do it day in day out especailly when foreigners outnumber locals so such a large degree)
It also stopped the bucket hats.
I think the lack of alcohol, and the cost, inhibited many who would normally cause trouble from doing so. Either because it’s not so clever when you’re sober or because they couldn’t afford to get there.

I don’t think the fact they are an absolute monarchy put people off fighting…

I think the lack of alcohol, and the cost, inhibited many who would normally cause trouble from doing so. Either because it’s not so clever when you’re sober or because they couldn’t afford to get there.

I don’t think the fact they are an absolute monarchy put people off fighting…

I am pretty sure knowing the consequences of what might happen if you stepped out of line put off anyone from fighting or even turning up in some cases. I am not sure how much alcohol is a factor as lots of people drink and don't fight.

The fact that they have little to zero crime in general means they are certainly doing something right.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPG
Back
Top Bottom