John Williams Appreciation Thread

Soldato
Everyone knows him from all the great scores he's written for many films; to me he's one of the great modern composers. Shear brilliance in all his work. Apart from Star Wars (obviously :D) the Back To The Future theme has to be my favourite, turn it up.....

Associate
Superman is the best theme he has done IMO.
However, the best superhero theme is Batman by Danny Elfman.

Back to the Future music was indeed done by Alan Silvestri.

Soldato
I was at a Proms type thing in a park a few years back (dragged along) but it was mega as the finale was a John Williams medely with the full orchestra going for it and fireworks. It was breathtaking! SO much better than I would have imagined when listened to live!

Man of Honour
I have to say I love JW.
Went to see Star Wars in Concert or whatever it was called. Brilliant stuff. I love most of his work. Schindler's list, Shaving Ryan's Privates, Jurassic Park, Hook...

And all the other stuff he's done. He's certainly not overrated, but I can almost always tell when something's his...
I do love Danny Elfman, Klaus Badelt, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Yann Tiersen, Michael Nyman, Alan Silvestri etc....

Soldato
In for appreciation purposes.

I remember reading somewhere that writing the 5 notes unique to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was one of the most difficult things he had to do.

edit: and trivia about that scene:

Tuba player Jim Self is the "musical voice" of the mother-ship in the climatic scene when the big ship comes down on Devils Tower. Steven Spielberg and John Williams chose the tuba as the voice of the mother-ship because the difficulty of playing the instrument added a human characteristic to the aliens.

edit: and the full theme (1977)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom