Joker (2019)

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Hmm.. is it just me or are they trying to make him out to be some kind of Anti-Hero, you end up seeing things from his point of view and routing for him...

Not sure that's a good idea.

Associate
Looks OK, but what makes the Killing Joke origin story so great is that the Joker is actually pretty normal before he suffers an event that parallels Batman's origin.

The difference is he goes one way, Batman goes another. Both realising that there are more similarities with each other than either cares to admit.

Looks like they're going the pathetic loser route here, I still think it could be decent, but after that cinema shooting, do they really want to give any more nutcases ideas?

Associate
The new Joker film looks so good , not another typical "superhero" glossed over look.

It is the movie about a mentality ill (constantly depressed) comedian who wants to make people laugh preach goodness but instead of support from people he is only getting hate and beaten up by them until the point he breaks.

Soldato
Hmmmm, very first thought was "well thats not what I was expecting so I don't like it", then after a few more watches I ditched any pre-conceived ideas and I'm finding it more intriguing with each watch.

Associate
Watched the trailer and not feeling it.

There's a great movie in there I'm sure, an Oscar tipping one most probably, as I see the hallmarks of one that carries what the Academy will want to push for a tip of the hat at the very least. But not a "Joker" movie, that's what my feeling says.

ie. If we remove the name Joker (and the relation is has to DC properties), would it make the movie not have the same impact and meaning to it or stand on its own? And technically, the answer is "no" from what I see so far. It will stand on its own perfetly fine. As it appears to show the spiralling descent of a person that becomes the "villian" (doesn't need a name yet or the hero to counter them, just a villian, one that we know), and it seems this movie can do that perfectly well without even needing to tie in with anything else, even the name "Joker". Therefore, not a Joker movie as it could be anyone else.

So unless I hear some better feedback from others on this movie, it's a solid pass from me for now. If I wanted to watch a documentary or docu-drama on someones descent into "villiany", there's plenty else out there.

Back
Top Bottom