JonnyGuru debunks old power supply myths

Associate
As an electronics engineer, and electrician by trade, some of the stuff he's saying is just utter ********. Wires, of the gauge used in PSU's, and the lengths involved would be almost 0 ohm resistance, a short would NOT be influenced by these small resistances, and an impedance of less than 0.1 ohms, hell, less than a few hundred ohms, is still a short when that line impedance is supposed to be tens of thousands of ohms. Typical cable resistance, over 1000 metres of the gauges used, would ONLY be around 6 ohms!!!!!! You put 6 ohms across a 65 amp rail, the word is BANG! What a load of utter ********.

Soldato
As an electronics engineer, and electrician by trade, some of the stuff he's saying is just utter ********. Wires, of the gauge used in PSU's, and the lengths involved would be almost 0 ohm resistance, a short would NOT be influenced by these small resistances, and an impedance of less than 0.1 ohms, hell, less than a few hundred ohms, is still a short when that line impedance is supposed to be tens of thousands of ohms. Typical cable resistance, over 1000 metres of the gauges used, would ONLY be around 6 ohms!!!!!! You put 6 ohms across a 65 amp rail, the word is BANG! What a load of utter ********.

So I vaguely remembered some talk about that and went back through to find where he was talking about it.

You're getting too excited.

The wire itself is not high resistance but this is in context of a short which is not a reliable electrical connection. The resistance would be from the short itself and as he says, the power supply will not recognise a short of greater than 0.1 ohm.

Which he says is a very rare way for OCP to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_VV3UjEBY&t=5m50s

I wouldn't take it as literally as you seem to be.

Soldato
I've always said one of the most important parts of a PC build is the PSU. The main reason being a quality PSU pulls less stress on the VRM's of motherboards etc due to better DC regulation, that in turn provides better overclocking and more stability. Since 2009 I've been using Seasonic X and Prime series, in all that time zero hardware issues with other components.

Associate
So I vaguely remembered some talk about that and went back through to find where he was talking about it.

You're getting too excited.

The wire itself is not high resistance but this is in context of a short which is not a reliable electrical connection. The resistance would be from the short itself and as he says, the power supply will not recognise a short of greater than 0.1 ohm.

Which he says is a very rare way for OCP to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_VV3UjEBY&t=5m50s

I wouldn't take it as literally as you seem to be.

Oooh, I was in a bad mood yesterday, wasn't I?? Rough day at work!

Associate
Well i did use two Hyper Type R power supplies with 0 issues.
One pink I threw in a bin, the other blue with at the time very cool looking cables might well still be running.

All everyone sa8d is, they blow up...

Back in the AGP days that lol

Back
Top Bottom