Jordan Henderson wins Football Writers' Association footballer of year award

Caporegime
Don't think he was our best player this year and I thought De Bruyne had a better overall season but you can't deny the influence he has on our team or in the success we've had over the last few years so it's massively deserved. Not bad for a player that can't run :o

I'm hoping he wins the PFA award as well later if Mane doesn't win it.

Don
Shocked KDB didn't win it, not because he deserved it but because there were so many Liverpool players in the running I assumed the vote would be split so much making it impossible for one of them to win.

I'd have voted for Mane personally but can't argue too much against Henderson, not least because it's going to **** so many people off :D

Soldato
Shocked KDB didn't win it, not because he deserved it but because there were so many Liverpool players in the running I assumed the vote would be split so much making it impossible for one of them to win.

I'd have voted for Mane personally but can't argue too much against Henderson, not least because it's going to **** so many people off :D

Twitter is a beautiful site this morning. That with Guardiola moaning about City not winning individual awards has twitter on fire.

Lovely to see.

Don
I think the most concerning thing here is that there are football jouranlists that voted for Wan-Bissaka, Evans, Traore and Maddison. If those journalists are not directly related to those players then they need sacking because football is not for them.

Soldato
"Henderson, De Bruyne, Rashford, Van Dijk and ,Mane ended as the top five, with 10 other players receiving votes from FWA members.

They were Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Aguero, Adama Traore, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Jonny Evans."

Thats mad.

Caporegime
I think the most concerning thing here is that there are football jouranlists that voted for Wan-Bissaka, Evans, Traore and Maddison. If those journalists are not directly related to those players then they need sacking because football is not for them.
Maddison started the season amazingly well but he's literally done nothing since Christmas, much like his team. Vardy would've been a far better shout.

Caporegime
OP

I imagine Fergie is fuming this morning :D

Don
Maddison started the season amazingly well but he's literally done nothing since Christmas, much like his team. Vardy would've been a far better shout.
Yea, that's what I can't get my head around. Even if you're a Leicester supporting journo and being massively bias, you vote for Vardy. Other than a relative, who votes for Maddison and Evans?

Caporegime
I imagine Fergie is fuming this morning :D

If you're talking about Ferguson's bit about him in his book I don't think he was wrong in what he said. He's got a knee injury at the moment and has had them previously, the way he runs can't help matters. I would be very surprised if he does a Milner and is still going strong in 2-4 years but I don't think he'll care considering what he's won :D

Don
If you're talking about Ferguson's bit about him in his book I don't think he was wrong in what he said. He's got a knee injury at the moment and has had them previously, the way he runs can't help matters. I would be very surprised if he does a Milner and is still going strong in 2-4 years but I don't think he'll care considering what he's won :D
Because no other player has picked up knee injuries before :p Of course he was wrong, in 9 seasons Henderson's missed a total of 65 games, that's hardly a bad injury record. To put it into context, the same summer he signed for us, Fergie's two outfield signings were Phil Jones and Ashley Young - in one less season Young missed 66 games and Jones has missed 120+.

Caporegime
I don't think you can say he was outright wrong to say what he did, just because he went on to still play games, it's not a bad record but certainly not great to miss on average 7 games a season as an important player, if we're talking Fergie expectation levels. It's pretty evident just looking at him run what Ferguson was on about, so he didn't want to take the chance.

Young is 5 years older so not a great comparison. Jones may be younger but he has noodles for hamstrings and one of his longer spells out was for a venous occlusion which pretty much anyone could get.

He did specifically state in his book that it would be later in his career where it would catch up to him. So comparing what happened in his younger years doesn't really discredit what he said.

IHFSeQP.png

As he's towards the end of his prime now I guess we'll see what happens in the coming seasons.

Last edited:
Don
Of course you can say he was wrong. Ultimately his justification for not signing Henderson was because he believed he would miss a disproportionate number of games through injury. Not only has Henderson not missed any more games than your average player will miss (some will of course miss less but just as many will miss more) but the two players he signed that very summer ended up missing more games and in Jones' case, considerably more.

Caporegime
He's fundamental to the way we play imo. Absolutely vital.
On paper, he's the easiest of our key players to replace. We don't have anyone even remotely capable of standing in for Alisson, VVD or our front three but we have a load of midfielders that could and should come in and replace him. In reality, there's a massive drop off when he's out injured.

Caporegime
Ultimately his justification for not signing Henderson was because he believed he would miss a disproportionate number of games through injury.

That wasn't his justification at all. All he said on the matter was that brief paragraph in his book shown above. That they believed his gait would affect his later years, nothing about being injured more often in the meantime. Essentially, it was just an off the cuff comment and I'm pretty certain Ferguson isn't bothered by Henderson winning a players award. Liverpool winning a premier league title... that's most definitely brought back the red-faced chewing gum character!

We also have no idea at all how well he would have done at United, most likely sold on as manager after manager failed to do anything. Klopp has been the difference with him at Liverpool.

Don
That wasn't his justification at all. All he said on the matter was that brief paragraph in his book shown above. That they believed his gait would affect his later years, nothing about being injured more often in the meantime. Essentially, it was just an off the cuff comment and I'm pretty certain Ferguson isn't bothered by Henderson winning a players award. Liverpool winning a premier league title... that's most definitely brought back the red-faced chewing gum character!

We also have no idea at all how well he would have done at United, most likely sold on as manager after manager failed to do anything. Klopp has been the difference with him at Liverpool.
I agree that he won't be concerned about Henderson winning the award but concern about injuries clearly was the justification for not signing him. We're clearly interpretting "later in his career" differently - I read it literally as later, as in the future. Not when he's 30+. It would be very odd for a club to base the decision on signing a 21 year old on how they think their body will hold up when they're 32 anyway, especially a club that has a history of signing and extending contracts of players for a couple of good seasons, knowing that they're bodies won't hold up at the back end of that contract. If anything, Henderson's injury record has actually improved as he's got older.

Klopp's obviously been a factor in Henderson's developement but Henderson has been proving people wrong and developing his game long before he arrived. He went from being shoved out on the right under Kenny and being a makeweight in a deal for Clint Dempsey under Rodgers to being a key player in the best side in Europe and he's done that by continuously developing his game. He had to fight to stay at the club under Rodgers and then establish himself in the side but as elmuzzy touches on, he ended up becoming a very important player in the 13/14 title challenge. Even then, I never thought Henderson could become a proper CM. I saw him as somebody that was very useful playing on the right of a 3 man midfield due to his running power but wasn't sure he had the game or brain to play as a CM in a 2 or the sitting role in the 3. Klopp stuck him in the holding midfield role at the start of the 16/17 season and he proved me wrong and he's got better and better each and every season. When Fabinho arrived and settled Henderson had to fight for his position again and moved back to the right of the 3 but over the last year or so he's started adding a few more goals and assists to his game and then when Fabinho picked up an injury at the end of November that kept him out for 2 months (and a lot of supporters started to panic), Henderson slots back into the sitting role and plays the best football of his career.

Back
Top Bottom