Jose Gonazalez - Great or Sony hype?

Associate
Discuss.

Been listening to Veneer and I think it's good. Some really good tunes but some not impressive. He's getting a lot press lately and was wondering what everybody thinks.

Associate
I heard a song on the radio and went and got the album and i thought it was pretty class. It's nice to hear something like this on the radio thats a bit different from what is mainstream at the moment.

Associate
I think this is the start of a new type of music saturating the charts, like the last year has been rip offs/soundalikes including The Killers, Futureheads, etc. this year is going to be full of folky types like Nizlopi and Jose.

Just a feeling...

Soldato
Veneer's a pretty solid album to my ears. It's not particularly challenging, but there aren't any duds that make you want to bash the next button. Like it, and recommend it.

Zero5 said:
I think this is the start of a new type of music saturating the charts [..] this year is going to be full of folky types like Nizlopi and Jose.

Just a feeling...
I think that's justified. There's certainly more than a murmur regarding nu/neo/freak/acid-folk, or whatever you want to call it, in mainstream music press of late. Devendra Banhart, Sufjan Stevens and Vashti Bunyan for example. I think people are perhaps looking for something a little less vapid than Katie Melua, or maybe everyone's just tired of listening to the happy-happy sound of artists like The Shins and Belle & Sebastian. Still, those artists aren't likely to get a huge takeup, but it bodes well for music releases in the coming year as far as I'm concerned.

On a related note, I've seen González pigeonholed under 'Sadcore', along with artists like Cat Power (best voice in music) and Iron & Wine (best beard in music), and I've decided that's one of the greatest names for a genre yet. Made me laugh [and then hunker down, weeping, in a corner] anyway.

Soldato
Crazy Fool said:
he's good, but you guys gotta get into Ryan Adams - super! hope he gets some airplay over here
Robin Hood film, "Everything I do, I do it for you....". That guy, yeah? ;)
Unfortunate name really, but I thought he was actually quite well-known here? At least I don't know his music well myself, but I'm sure I've seen him mentioned and played quite a bit in the past.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
/is yet to see Augmented post in a thread and not mention Cat Power :p;)

she did a collab with Handsome Boy Modeling School...great voice

Soldato
Sic said:
/is yet to see Augmented post in a thread and not mention Cat Power :p;)
Hehe. Yeah, I'm on a Cat Power pimping trip at the moment. She's The Greatest. New album out in just over a week; standard-CD, deluxe-digipack and vinyl versions available from your favourite music retailers. And Myra Lee was re-released today so you can go pur-chase that at the same time... woo! :cool:

/and I'm spent.
\back on-topic

Associate
OP
Yeah you gotta love Crosses. I think I would like a lot more given a couple of week's worth of listening.

Someone mentioned Ryan Adams? Another artist I admire though his penultimate album was crap on a stick.

Suspended
Augmented said:
On a related note, I've seen González pigeonholed under 'Sadcore', along with artists like Cat Power (best voice in music) and Iron & Wine (best beard in music), and I've decided that's one of the greatest names for a genre yet. Made me laugh [and then hunker down, weeping, in a corner] anyway.
I always thought sadcore was stuff like Low, Red House Painters, Secret Stars etc. Or maybe that's slowcore? I have trouble keeping up.

In my mind, Cat Power and Iron & Wine sit firmly in the modern folk genre, alongside Elliot Smith and Smog. Agreed that they're both really good - although I have to confess to liking Cat Powers' covers record above anything else she's done. I think that makes me unhip :/

Back
Top Bottom