Journey to London

Soldato
Quick one for folks in the know - I have to go to Moorfields eye hospital next Friday, just up the way from Old Street station, and was wondering if anyone has tips on a painless journey?

I was planning on leaving at around 5AM (appt is at 9:30), driving to Hounslow, then heading in via the Tube - that's the default for when me and the Wife used to go to the West End. But looking at the congestion/ULEZ charges for her motor, it's only about 30 quid - so thought about driving all the way in...

Only issue is parking nearby, so wondering if anyone knows the area well, and whether it's worth driving in - or sticking to the tube idea? Maybe a route that allows me to drive closer, and have a shorter tube ride with no change over?

Many thanks for any tips folks.

Man of Honour
Sorry can't help with parking as I would never drive into London nowadays. But depending on whether they are doing anything to the eyes it might affect your ability to drive afterwards. E.g. they put coloured dye into my mums when she went there.

Soldato
OP
Morning central London driving is horrendous, or anytime for that matter, last time I tried a couple years ago it took 45mins to do 2 miles. I would avoid it if you can.

That's a fair point, I won't be on 2 wheels, so will be subjected to all that!

Where are you coming from?

Calne in Wiltshire, so will likely be jumping on the M4 at junction 16.

Sorry can't help with parking as I would never drive into London nowadays. But depending on whether they are doing anything to the eyes it might affect your ability to drive afterwards. E.g. they put coloured dye into my mums when she went there.

Again, another good point - it's just a check up before they book in the operation [whenever], so I might need a while to allow for anything they do to clear...

Soldato
Do not drive in, I used to work on City Road (next to Old Street tube) and the traffic and parking situation round there is pants.

Meanwhile the tube is very convenient - it will take you a few minutes walk to get to Moorfields from there, and there is even a line painted on the pavement between the tube station and the hospital to help partially sighted people / those that have had just had operations.

Associate
If you have to park, I'd probably use the NCP in Finsbury Square. But as others said, drive then park and tube is probably the less painful approach. Edgware at the end of the Northern line has a commuter car park but you need to get there early to get a space.

Soldato
If it was me I'd park just outside the congestion charge zone just to the east and walk it. But I live in London so know exactly where to go.

If you dont mind paying congestion charge, then plenty of pay and display parking nearby which no one uses as it is expensive, but you won't need for long.

Soldato
OP
If it was me I'd park just outside the congestion charge zone just to the east and walk it. But I live in London so know exactly where to go.

If you dont mind paying congestion charge, then plenty of pay and display parking nearby which no one uses as it is expensive, but you won't need for long.

I stuck at navigating the tube, lose all sense of direction :D Hoping for a nice direct route, and Edgware > Northern Line is looking less faffy to me

Soldato
Drive to Chippenham and get a train to paddington then tube to old street. Driving anywhere near old street and then having to get out again on the same day is going to give you a duodenal ulcer the size of the saarlac pit. Only problem would probably be because your appt is 9:30am the train fare would be mental as it's peak prices. Train fares in this country are such a crock of ****

Soldato
OP
Drive to Chippenham and get a train to paddington then tube to old street. Driving anywhere near old street and then having to get out again on the same day is going to give you a duodenal ulcer the size of the saarlac pit. Only problem would probably be because your appt is 9:30am the train fare would be mental as it's peak prices. Train fares in this country are such a crock of ****

Yeah, prices are mental, but so is fuel - but using the Wife's car means I can set my own schedule.

Back
Top Bottom