• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Jump from 1080p to 1440p or 2160p?

Associate
OP
The Asus PB287Q 4K monitor is pretty good in all aspects.

You should be running display port to get 60hz though. There's a setting you have to change on the monitor but that's a one off thing that takes a few seconds.

The only problem you will find is browsing the internet if your running 4K on the desktop (you have to zoom in to 150-175%).

1440p is perfectly fine with no anomalies. You might not even notice the difference and get better FPS if your GPU isn't able to handle 4K.

1440p and 4K on low looks a lot better than 1080p on High-Ultra on most games. That has a lot to do with the stretching to fit the screen imo. It's like playing Minecraft :p.

I will never go back to 1080p EVER !

That's great to know. As long as I can game at 1080p/1440p in the mean time until I get a GPU capable of running 4k then that's perfect. I'm currently using my 37 inch LG LED TV at the moment so going back to a regular monitor will be nice!

Cheers for the information :cool:

It's gotta be 1440p, Your not doing 4k on any single card except a Titan X and certainly not in the 300 pound price range.

I'm moving up to either a 21:9 2560x1080 or a 16:9 2560x1440 this year I just want to include one of the sync brothers so until we know more on that side of things I'm waiting.

I know, that's true, a mid range GPU that can run 4k is still a while away. a 21:9 4k monitor would be beautiful!

But why does it have to be single-card? With a bit of luck you can get a 290x CF going for around 400.

I'm not very experienced with GPU's and cooling. I'd have to get a local computer repair shop to do the upgrades for me so I'd rather stick with a single GPU for now.

Hi, my tuppence worth, 4K is great, I have a 290 and always have my desktop at 4K, for gaming it depends on the game ie Fallout 3/ NV and Dishonored all play fine at 4K, older games obviously but they look great anyway. Alien Isolation can play at 4K, depends whats happening, looks great at 1440p as well though. Currently hammering Far Cry 4 at 1440p on high settings (gobsmacked at how good this looks on high at 4K and 1440p) can do 4K on Far Cry but if a lot going on then it struggles. I'm lucky really as I don't care about fps as long as the game is smooth so 60Hz @ 4K or 1440p is fine with me. My AOC 28" 4K TN monitor is easily the best monitor I've ever had and it scales 1440p and 1080p great in my opinion. The only thing I would say is when gaming at higher res make sure you have excellent cooling, especially 4K, those cards get hot hot hot. My next graphics card will probably be the 390X (depends how much and how powerful) as long as it does 4K @ 60Hz and is smooth in Far Cry 4, oh and has 6 or 8Gb vram, if not then I'll wait for the next gen. :)

Wow thanks for that. a lot of useful information and exactly what I needed to know. I've been looking at the 290 as my motherboard only supports crossfire. And it's within my price range too. Seems like it's a great performer in the real world. 1440p on every game at good settings and some 4k games? Perfect!

I'm the same mate, I don't care too much about FPS as long as it's smooth and playable so 60hz is fine for me aswell. I've never had a AOC monitor before, but it scales 1080p and 1440p well? what's the response time like?

Any recommendations on what 290x cards have good cooling then?

Yeah I'm most likely going to wait a bit for any news on the 390x as it'll make the 290x prices drop, so I'll get a good deal.

Thanks for your input, that could be very helpful for the op seeing that your 4k monitor is very flexible and still is fine to game at 1440p on it if the game gets a bit too demanding.

Associate
In terms of the 290s that cool the best, I would avoid the twin fan MSI Gaming, but the triple fan Gigabyte Windforce, tri fan PowerColor PCS+ and Sapphire Tri-X/Vapor X do the best job of cooling this powerful card imo. These are big and long cards so hope you have a case that can take a card at least 300mm long.

Seems me and Africanos think alike :p

Last edited:
Associate
In terms of the 290s that cool the best, I would avoid the twin fan MSI Gaming, but the triple fan Gigabyte Windforce, tri fan PowerColor PCS+ and Sapphire Tri-X/Vapor X do the best job of cooling this powerful card imo. These are big and long cards so hope you have a case that can take a card at least 300mm long.

Seems me and Africanos think alike :p

I have MSI Gamings - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom