Jump leads for car

Soldato
Hi all

I'm getting my first car tomorrow (Toyota Aygo) and want some jump leads for the boot. I understand that I need to look out for ones that are both long enough and powerful enough to charge the battery quickly. Can anyone recommend what I'll need?

Many thanks

M

Caporegime
Powerful enough to charge the battery quickly? Jump leads aren't used for charging, they are used to start your car by utilising another vehicle (or another battery) as the electricity source.

You'll likely be fine with anything that isn't the cheapest of the cheap in your local motor factors. Obviously the thicker gauge of cable, the less likely they will be to melt, but an Aygo I imagine doesn't draw a huge amount of amperage on start unlike larger engine cars (or diesels).

I'd go for moulded clamps over the type that just have a rubber sheath, as this way you are less likely to short something out on the more exposed metal of the rubber-covered clamps.

Something like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-foot-3...7518?pt=UK_Recovery_Tools&hash=item35b692242e

Soldato
OP
Powerful enough to charge the battery quickly? Jump leads aren't used for charging, they are used to start your car by utilising another vehicle (or another battery) as the electricity source.

You'll likely be fine with anything that isn't the cheapest of the cheap in your local motor factors. Obviously the thicker gauge of cable, the less likely they will be to melt, but an Aygo I imagine doesn't draw a huge amount of amperage on start unlike larger engine cars (or diesels).

I'd go for moulded clamps over the type that just have a rubber sheath, as this way you are less likely to short something out on the more exposed metal of the rubber-covered clamps.

Something like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-foot-3...7518?pt=UK_Recovery_Tools&hash=item35b692242e

Sorry yes I understand they aren't used to charge the battery I was just under the impression that there were differents in the amperage that had an effect on how quickly it would do its magic.

Caporegime
Sorry yes I understand they aren't used to charge the battery I was just under the impression that there were differents in the amperage that had an effect on how quickly it would do its magic.

It shouldn't have any effect on "how quickly" things happen, but obviously if you are using too thin a gauge cable to do the "jump" then they will heat up like elements in an electric fire (I once was stranded in a field in the middle of wales after camping, I had a leisure battery, but the only cable I had was model car 1:10th scale RC cable which is about 5mm thick! It did the job, but almost melted in the process, I imagine that 30s later they would have ignited!).

It's always better to overspec than underspec.

Personally I wouldn't bother, only jump started a car once in 5 years and that was because the wife left the lights on overnight.

For the sake of £10 is it worth not having the option in the event of it happening? I've even played "the good Samaritan" and helped out randomers in carparks :)

Caporegime
An Aygo is so light you could probably jump start it single handedly with no issue.

You mean bump start, surely? Jump start involves leads and a 2nd power source.

And whilst that might be possible, it depends on location and if you want to risk it. I've done it with my Seat Leon, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Soldato
You mean bump start, surely? Jump start involves leads and a 2nd power source.

And whilst that might be possible, it depends on location and if you want to risk it. I've done it with my Seat Leon, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You're correct - I did mean bump start. D'oh!

Bump started many cars without an issue, although never single handedly.

Soldato
I'd get a battery pack, much more useful when your stranded somewhere and no ones about. I keep jump leads, try to get longish ones as short ones can be awkward with some cars.

Soldato
It's just as easy to bump start, assuming you'd be in the same position to jump start the second person could just give you a push rather than open the bonnet and recharge from batteries :p save your money :p

Caporegime
It's just as easy to bump start, assuming you'd be in the same position to jump start the second person could just give you a push rather than open the bonnet and recharge from batteries :p save your money :p

Why do people seem to be under the impression that jump starting somehow magically recharges your battery? :confused:

Wow, it saved you £8 on jump leads, I know what I'd rather be using if my car were for example at the bottom of a steep hill with no room to bump.

Also, if your battery is that flat that it can't power the injectors or prime the fuel pump, no amount of bumping is going to help you.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Also, if your battery is that flat that it can't power the injectors or prime the fuel pump, no amount of bumping is going to help you.

Bumping wont help if it's an auto either :p

I've always had jumpleads in every car I've owned - got me home (and others) on a few occasions.

Back
Top Bottom