Just added a EdgeRouter and now Unifi controller doesn't work?

Associate
My network topology is this.

Upstairs - BT FTTC DSL modem, connected to an EdgeRouter 6P. In this case, into eth0 and authentication is PPOE to PlusNet. My desktop PC is connected via ethernet to eth2 on the EdgeRouter, at the moment via DHCP but will probably allocate a static IP in due course.

eth1 on the EdgeRouter connects to a PowerPlug, that connects to another in the living room. This feeds a cheap switch, which has my XBox and a Ubiquiti AC-LP access point.

eth1 and eth2 on the EdgeRouter are set to allcoate IP addresses dynamically and I can see that wirelesss devices connected to my access point have been allocated leases on my wireless network, via the access point.

Since adding the EdgeRouter, the Unifi controller software doesn't show my access point in the fancy interface. It initially described my access point as 'disabled' - strange as I had devices connecting via it - but after I did a hard reset of the AP with a paper clip and 'forgot' the AP via the Unifi controller, now I can't discover the AP in the Unifi controller software. My AP is sat downstairs, with a white LED showing it is waiting to be adopted. Meanwhile, my wireless devices are all getting IPs from the EdgeRouter.

Is there anyway of getting the EdgeRouter management GUI and the Unifi controller software to play nicely together? I deliberately didn't get a Unifi Security Gateway as I wanted something more robust with a view to adding another access point, a CloudKey gen 2 and some cameras later. Clearly I can't add this lot if the Unifi controller software isn't discovering devices.

Happy to upload pictures of config if it helps :)

Don
First off, ditch the homeplugs.

Eth1 and Eth2 will be different networks. (You can force them to become a switch, but at a huge performance cost).

Unifi controller will need to be connected to the same Eth port as the access point.

As a home user, you should only be using one of the eth ports.

Edgerouter and Unifi both have their own controllers, they aren't the same product. But you can run them side by side.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the replies, that makes complete sense looking at the DHCP config for the ports - they are all on different subnets/networks!

@bledd - the homeplugs are just a temporary way of getting upstairs/downstairs connected to each other until I add more APs or, as is my preference, to get cable running through walls etc :)

Don
I use the second eth port for when I'm fixing someone else's laptop and I don't want it on the same network as my kit... handy to have a separate network out of the box for things like that :)

Back
Top Bottom