Just arranged to start my DAS

Soldato
Sick and tired of my commute. (Kent to London) so have decided to do my DAS.

I get the coach to work and it’s gone up in price to £3k a year and it’s now starting to take 5-6 hours a day. (3 hours each way) unless I get the very first one (5am) but this is slowly killing me!

A chap up the road has started to bike it in having just passed his DAS so I’ve decided to do the same.

I’ve always had a soft spot for bikes, I’m 38, my uncle has 4 bikes and has just given me a load of gear, the chap up the road reckons it’s taking him about 1 hour, 15 mins and that’s him taking it steady as he’s just passed.

My thinking is that I’ll buy a commuter scooter for comfort but get a pleasure bike too, always loved my uncles Triumph T100 bonnie.

I’m mostly worried about coordination with brakes and clutch, and if I pass particularly if it’s busy as the weaving up between cars scares me, although I hope with time, I’ll overcome that.

Anyone else here commute to London? I can park at work in a secure area but will be doing 80 miles a day!

Soldato
I'm in Maidstone and if I ever got a job in London I'd commute by bike, it may be 80 miles a day but a good amount of that would be motorway/DC I would think.

I do 36 miles a day down to Tunbridge Wells and it takes me 45 minutes in the morning so it's not that much longer to get to central London.

Soldato
I’m mostly worried about coordination with brakes and clutch, and if I pass particularly if it’s busy as the weaving up between cars scares me, although I hope with time, I’ll overcome that.

Before my CBT I was worried about the clutch as it seemed weird using my hand and foot in a reserved order of what I was used to in a car... But the truth is that it's actually much easier to do gear changes on a bike than a car. You'll be fine!

As for filtering, you'll quickly get used to the width of your bike and will find it's very easy

Soldato
Before my CBT I was worried about the clutch as it seemed weird using my hand and foot in a reserved order of what I was used to in a car... But the truth is that it's actually much easier to do gear changes on a bike than a car. You'll be fine!

I was the same, but as a mate pointed out...in the car you're doing it the wrong way round really as the thing that needs subtle, smooth control is the clutch but changing gears don't need that, so you can control the clutch better with your hand than foot. The CBT is a good taster course too, lets you work out if you want to continue with it and once the 'taster' is complete you can ride on your own (with Ls obviously).

Soldato
OP
The place local to me are mega busy, so they have booked me in on the 11th of Nov for a free assessment. I’m looking forward to it but I’m scared.

The DAS is £860 which includes everything, I’ve decided I’m going to do it over 5-6 days rather than several weekends.

I’ve never been on a motorbike in terms of riding, I’ve sat on some with engines running but that’s it. My cousin has Triumph Tiger and uses that to commute. I go out on my moutain bike a lot so the woman said at least I should have balance.

I did explore a Piaggio trike as you can ride on your car license but the 500cc variant is not congestion charge exempt and the 300cc would be on its limit doing 70mph on the A2. So I figured I’d do it properly and do the DAS.

Soldato
Balance on a bicycle is completely different to a bike. I think (at least initially) I have less confidence on a bicycle than I do on a motorbike. The things balance themselves :p

Soldato
I did explore a Piaggio trike as you can ride on your car license but the 500cc variant is not congestion charge exempt and the 300cc would be on its limit doing 70mph on the A2. So I figured I’d do it properly and do the DAS.

In my view, you've made the right decision. Jumping from a car directly onto a 500cc bike of any form without proper training is a recipe for disaster IMHO.
Your CBT and DAS course will teach you a multitude of techniques, and refresh your observation skills in order to make you safe.

Soldato
OP
With no prep, I decided to do an online mock theory test, you must get 43out of 50 to pass and I got 45 correct. The ones I got wrong were first aid ones, so that’s boosted my confidence a little.

I’ve already decided on a commuter scooter and decided that I’d like to get a 2017 Yamaha TMax DX. It gets great reviews, it’s 530CC so can sit comfortably at motorway speeds and has heated seat and grips among other bits of tech.

I want to get a second pleasure bike eventually (Triumph Bonneville) and the mrs has asked me to buy her a Keeway 125.

A lot of my uncles gear fits me so I’ve done quite well in terms of kit but need to get my own helmet. The mrs and I start our assessment on 11th of Nov. Excited, yet scared!

Soldato
£10k on a scooter :o

Each to their own but you won't get a lot of love here I don't think sorry :D

Hopefully to test bikes will put you right :p

To be fair any 2 wheels is glorious for a commute. I used to dread the drive to/from work now I look forward to it. So long as you have the right gear weather isn't a problem either.

Soldato
OP
lol - I'm not looking for love :p

The scooter will be a work horse, designed specifically to get me to London and back each day in comfort, ease and reliability.

The idea is then I'll have a 'real bike' for going out for fun.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You’re mental if you buy a brand new scooter to throw 100+ miles on it a day.

Associate
If you are going to run a vehicle into the ground you may as well let someone else take the 30% hit for putting that first mile onto it.
This^^^^^

It's for commuting, you'll be gutted if after a week you drop it and scuff all the fairing. Buy a nearly new bike/scooter and if it succumbs to the rough and tumble of commuting to the capital it won't be the end of the world.

I know I'd be wanting to blow my budget on the Triumph over a daily driver scooter ;)

Soldato
If you're going to buy something brand new and do 20k a year on it, you either need to change it after a year to prevent it being on 40k miles after 2 years and worth nothing, or keep it until it's scrap (at least 5-6 years).

If at any point you'll be selling it then you may as well get a 6-12 month old one and save a few grand.

Basically, doing that many miles, unless you change bikes every 6-12 months you'll need to be prepared to throw money down the drain.

However, a maxi scooter is probably the best thing to do it on, try selling a 2 year old normal bike with 40k on the clock... :eek:

Treat it like a tool to do a job and keep it forever and you'll be fine. It's no different to chucking £3k a year down the drain buying a bus ticket...

People aren't looking at the financial alternative commuting to London, I dare say the scooter will be cheaper even at £10k new, after 3 and a bit years it'll have paid for itself, just remember to look at running costs, you'll be changing tyres every 4-6 months for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I’ve ordered my first starter helmet. I ultimately want a Shoei GT Air in Matt Grey but at £419 but thought I’d buy a cheaper one so got this: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319311

It’s got good reviews so hopefully should be ok.

I got some gloves and boots too from the same place. My uncle has given me a Weise Winter coat and over trousers too. And a pair of Kevlar jeans.

In terms of bike, I’ve decided on Honda NC750X ABS - Gets great reviews as a first starter big bike and I like the looks, they’re supposed to be very reliable too.

It’s all starting to get more real now!

Caporegime
Hi, resident scooter fag here :)

If you're commuting in the City then a 125 is fine. Anything A roads or B roads and you'll want something bigger, a 250 or even a 400 (Burgman 400s go for pennies nowadays). Despite what all the zUp3r L33t BykerZ here will tell you, a scooter is absolutely perfect for commuting. Loads of space for your stuff (seriously, once you've had a bit of storage space on a commuter you won't go back), loads of weather protection, the obvious twist'n'go aspect (as much as I love bikes, changing gears 500 times on a single commute gets annoying) and they cost pennies to run.

For a commuter DO NOT buy something new, especially in London. DO NOT see it as your pride and joy because it will get damaged. Yes, look after it and keep it well maintained but see it for what it is: a tool to get to work and back. Buy loads of security, I recommend a disc lock and an Almax Protector with a Squire lock. I've watched bikes get nicked in London, these guys know every trick in the book. Disc lock only? Skateboard. Chain only? Grinder / bolt cutter. To keep your scooter, you're going to want maximum security. These things get nicked like there's no tomorrow at the moment.

When it comes to scooters, there are hundreds of the things so don't be shy to do your research. Some scooters have crap underseat storage so keep that in mind. An Xmax will take a full face lid and loads of other crap. You can get a decent 250 Xmax for £2k. A Honda S-wing will probably fit a Vern Troyer and a full face lid.

As for features, you want heated grips, cubby hole storage up front (preferrably with a USB charger), good under-seat storage and as many other bells and whistles you can find.

This one is a decent buy, with a top-box and Honda's bulletproof reliability.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/s-wing-125/3509763/

I'll say it again: Ignore what everyone says in terms of image, looks and badassness. A scooter is a commuter and practicality is king, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

EDIT:

Just saw this post:

With no prep, I decided to do an online mock theory test, you must get 43out of 50 to pass and I got 45 correct. The ones I got wrong were first aid ones, so that’s boosted my confidence a little.

I’ve already decided on a commuter scooter and decided that I’d like to get a 2017 Yamaha TMax DX. It gets great reviews, it’s 530CC so can sit comfortably at motorway speeds and has heated seat and grips among other bits of tech.

I want to get a second pleasure bike eventually (Triumph Bonneville) and the mrs has asked me to buy her a Keeway 125.

A lot of my uncles gear fits me so I’ve done quite well in terms of kit but need to get my own helmet. The mrs and I start our assessment on 11th of Nov. Excited, yet scared!

First off, a Keeway will rot away right under you so unless it's a Sunday bike in dry storage, buy used Japanese instead. As for a Tmax, you won't have it for a week. They are stolen almost daily in London sadly. They then get used to steal other bikes and commit crimes because they can be ridden with one hand, have no gears and are stupid fast.

In the biking world, catching thieves is often referred to as "Tmax hunting", that's how well affiliated with crime they are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...-moped-crime-wave_uk_5919ba16e4b0fe039b36329a

If you ride a Tmax, you will have it taken off you within a month. And these guys have no issues taking it by force. It's not worth it.

Some interesting reading:

http://www.scooterlab.uk/12-yamaha-tmaxs-stolen-week-news/

As for reviews, check out Cager On Two Wheels on Youtube, he does quite a few scooter reviews and is quite good.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I’ve ordered my first starter helmet. I ultimately want a Shoei GT Air in Matt Grey but at £419 but thought I’d buy a cheaper one so got this: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/319311

It’s got good reviews so hopefully should be ok.

I wouldn't suggest buying online for a first helmet. The most important part of a helmet is fit, ideally you want to go to a store to try on helmets to find the one that fits best. It's not just getting the right size but also the right shape, some helmets are more rounded, others more oval shaped.

Get the wrong shape/size and you'll either get pressure points that make the helmet uncomfortable after wearing for 30 minutes, or you'll have too much space in areas so in a crash you just smash your head against the helmet rather than letting the helmet do its job.

Back
Top Bottom