Just bought myself a budget commuter

Soldato
Hi all,

I have a Ghost AMR that I use for MTB but it's too expensive to leave in the company bike bays.

Took to eBay to find a commuter bike that I didn't really car much about. Set myself a budget of £50 but ended up spending £60 on a GT Avalanche 1.0

The listing simply said 'not used for years, rode around the garden and no brakes'. Took a punt on it and brought it home.

Brakes are junk. Ordered some cheap Clark M2 to replace them. On splitting the old ones (Hayes So1e) down the fluid had turned to powdery gunk and the bleed nipple sheared off.

Along with the new brakes I've ordered some cheap grips. This puts me at £98 in now. I've got some Schwalbe hybrid tyres in the shed that I'm going to put on. It came with mudguards so thats saved me a couple of quid.

The front and rear derailleur were sticking so I pulled them off and cleaned/greased them - work a treat now. Whole frame/wheelset was covered in grease/grit so that's now gone too.

Aim is to get to work and back on something that's half decent to ride but I don't care too much about.

Great thing is it's in really good condition and doesn't look like it's done many miles at all.

Happy Phil :D

Soldato
OP
Will sort some out.

Got the brakes on, bargain for £34.99. Work well too. Took it on the first commute to work and back - rides well but i need to have a play with the gear cable tension. Its ok but not perfect.

Definitely putting the hybrid tyres on at the weekend too - nobbly tyres are creating too much resistance :D

Back
Top Bottom