Just built new i5 system, help needed with BIOS

Associate
Just finished my 1st ever PC build and it works! :cool:

I've got an i5 750 with Gigabyte UD3 and G-Skill 1600mhz 7-7-7-24 RAM.

I haven't installed an operating system yet but something I've noticed in the BIOS is that the RAM only seems to be operating at only 1333mhz and 9-9-9-24 timings. Is this normal to begin with? Do I need to manually change the speed and timings?

Also where it shows the data for each of the 4 cores on the CPU it's showing a non-turbo frequency of 2666 for each one (ok) and a turbo frequency of 2799 for each. Again, does that seem right? I thought the turbo was supposed to increase the speed by more than that?

Sorry if I'm being really stupid, still a bit of a noob unfortunately :(

Associate
Yes, i5 have max memory multiplier at 10, co Base CLK 133MHz x 10 = 1333MHz. You need to overclock to 160MHZ Base CLK, best is if your memory have a XMP profile. Then you just need to go to overclock section of BIOS, then to memory overclock and load the XMP profile.
Max multiplier and turbo can be also changed in OC section of BIOS.

Associate
OP
ok I understand that the memory needs overclocking but why aren't the timings defaulting to 7-7-7-24? Or will it only do that when I've overclocked to 1600mhz?

Re the CPU, I dont really want to void the warranty. Am I ok as long as I dont go over the stock speed? ie. 160mhz x 16 = 2560

Thanks

Associate
You don't void CPU warranty by any overclock, except if you burn your CPU... 160x16 is the default settings which will BIOS do when you load the XMP profile. If your memory does have it, try to load it - it will set the right base clock, right memory multiplier and timing and it will set that x16 multiplier for CPU. But you can safely move it up to x20 - i had 0 problems with that.

Associate
OP
The XMP profile seemed to work and did what you said it would. The only thing is the CPU turbo frequency & ratio is now coming up as the same as the non-turbo settings (ie both at x16) and I cant find anywhere to alter it...

Associate
The XMP profile seemed to work and did what you said it would. The only thing is the CPU turbo frequency & ratio is now coming up as the same as the non-turbo settings (ie both at x16) and I cant find anywhere to alter it...

It's in the CPU section of those overclock pages in BIOS. You will find the multiplier on one page, and there is a subpage where you can turn turbo on (i'm not sure if it is called by this name there).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies on this, I did not solve the problem in the end but have kind of given up now!

Faugusztin - On the page where the multipliers are, the turbo is locked as the same as the non-turbo multi. I have made sure turbo mode is enabled on the subpage but still no joy. Perhaps its a BIOS issue that will be fixed with an update. For now I have left the RAM at the lower default speed (but lowered the timings) so that I get turbo mode.

Thevet - I posted on the Gigabyte forum and got no replies unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom