Just dropped a deposit on some M Power - Trackday Project Car

OcUK Staff
OP
Gibbo

Do you have any Action Camera mounts attached to your Rollecage. If so do you have any pics?

I am afraid not, last track day I just used a windscreen mount for GoPro, I was trying to find a suitable GoPro mount for cage but failed, hence just used windscreen mount which worked well, videos and sound come out well. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Trying to get some last minute jobs done, as next year I really want to get a lot more track days out of the car, the window trim has been looking faded, scratched and blotchy and the lower rubber window weather seal pieces are perished and breaking up, 16 years and over 100k miles for you shows its age and as the car is generally fresh I have decided to address these.

The uppers are not easy to remove and replacement parts new are a very high price, so today I got those wrapped in high gloss black, resembling the shadow trim option the E46 M3 had which very few cars were optioned with as was like a £1200 option, but standard on the CSL.

So before, the photo does it not such bad justice in flesh was not great, the other side had some deep scratches:

bmw5.jpg

After:

bmw6.jpg

bmw2.jpg

Some other photos:

bmw3.jpg

bmw4.jpg

As I decided to go gloss black, meant I've had to order the shadow trim for the lower parts from BMW, trust me for pieces of trim the price is crazy, £350 for the two lower door trims and two lower rear window trims, but they are also deep gloss like how the uppers are now, just finishes off the car. Collect those this Thursday along with some other parts from BMW.

Though I think the car is complete I seem to be generating myself even more things to do, so far my wish list has:

- Another set of wheels with AR1 tyres, need to sort for next year or even this year if get any late season dry track days sorted - £1500
- Pair of Recaro bucket seats, I feel the Cobras let down the car a little considering how nice the car is, it needs a more premium seat - £1500
- Oil change
- Drivers mirror (just glass) the outer on mine seems nasty, checking with BMW for price and if just glass is available.
- Brake caliper refurb and fresh paint, they are just looking tatty - £300
- Wire a switch in to disable ABS, I can do this by cutting into off side rear sensor and putting on a switch, this will then disable ABS by flicking switch but stuff like speedo, fuel gauge will still function. If you do the nearside sensor, then everything stops working!

My car is still on original head gasket and vanos, I was going to get those done as precaution maintenance but have been advised to simply not to bother and to simply act if and when it fails, as it won't cause harm to anything, just be down on power or hear it. So may just leave, its about £2000 to get both done at same time.

I am really nit picking now to be honest, but I guess it is simply because the car is in such amazing condition, I just want it spot on oh and it passed its MOT with no advisories. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Regarding your options for your next car, I think you would seriously regret selling this car. So scrap that option.

Do think your right, got lots on at the moment anyway, off abroad this weekend, then away the following weekend, so no time at weekend to go looking at stuff really.

Caporegime
Where did you get the wrapping done @Gibbo ? - I’m experiencing similarities with my e38, after 18 years a few bits of trim around the windows are starting to crack and fade, I’d like to rectify this so long as it’s not too silly money wise....

The e46 is looking epic, don’t move it on, to have owned a CSL and let it go to potentially do the same with this one which arguably is amongst the best e46 M3’s out there would imo be one move you’d look back and kick yourself for.

OcUK Staff
OP
Where did you get the wrapping done @Gibbo ? - I’m experiencing similarities with my e38, after 18 years a few bits of trim around the windows are starting to crack and fade, I’d like to rectify this so long as it’s not too silly money wise....

The e46 is looking epic, don’t move it on, to have owned a CSL and let it go to potentially do the same with this one which arguably is amongst the best e46 M3’s out there would imo be one move you’d look back and kick yourself for.

Wrapstarz Pro mate, does all his business via social media:
https://www.facebook.com/wrapstarzprouk/

OcUK Staff
OP
The m3 looks glorious Andy

Thanks Tom, think I would miss it, getting in it tonight at work, big empty wet car park, few donuts, them drive home just sliding around everywhere, not sure I could get an easier car to drift and slide around in (MX5 of course), suspect a GT4 be harder due to mid engine.

Soldato
It's also a classic and one of a kind. In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't owe you much so what's the harm in just keeping it.

Next plan should be big house with big unit to get them stored up :)

Man of Honour
The Vanos failed on my first M3, just after a service where they took the top off to check things up top, which was part of the service around 20K miles. Started as a rumbling but was very obvious and I wouldn't bother replacing them as a precaution on a track car frankly. If they go you'll hear them going, so get them done then if they ever go.

OcUK Staff
OP
The Vanos failed on my first M3, just after a service where they took the top off to check things up top, which was part of the service around 20K miles. Started as a rumbling but was very obvious and I wouldn't bother replacing them as a precaution on a track car frankly. If they go you'll hear them going, so get them done then if they ever go.

Cheers, great thing about the M3, get in the car to go home, oooh look wet car park, OK a few donuts and then home. :D

Back
Top Bottom