Just experienced ABS kicking in

Soldato
I was driving on snow/slush, applied brake and got a weird sensation like a cable attached to the brake peddle was vibrating or about to snap. It turns out this is the ABS kicking in. In all my years driving I've never experienced this before.

Considering I'd changed my own discs, pads and calipers I was sure I'd messed something up.

Just thought I'd add that.

Soldato
I've always tested by ABS periodically, and especially in ice/slush might try it just to see what the grip is like.
I keep meaning to look up if you should use it regularly to ensure that brake fluid gets circulated.

edit: has abs become less intrusive on new cars ?

Soldato
I've always tested by ABS periodically, and especially in ice/slush might try it just to see what the grip is like.
I keep meaning to look up if you should use it regularly to ensure that brake fluid gets circulated.

edit: has abs become less intrusive on new cars ?

Why would it ensure that brake fluid gets circuated? :confused:

Soldato
Why would it ensure that brake fluid gets circuated? :confused:
I thought, hopefully someone will correct me ?
that there was some fluid isolated in the ABS mechanism, which, unless you used them wouldn't get circulated(aged) with the rest ?

also just aspect of using abs is keeping the mechansim 'free', maybe re-distributing lube to reduce corrosion

Soldato
that there was some fluid isolated in the ABS mechanism, which, unless you used them wouldn't get circulated(aged) with the rest ?

also just aspect of using abs is keeping the mechansim 'free', maybe re-distributing lube to reduce corrosion
Nope. Basically works as relief valves at each brake that can operate to release pressure of the brake if it detects differing wheel speeds from wheel speed sensors.

Soldato

You use the diagnostic computer to start a ABS pump purge to clear out the old fluid from the pump when doing a brake fluid change.

Soldato
Nope. Basically works as relief valves at each brake that can operate to release pressure of the brake if it detects differing wheel speeds from wheel speed sensors.
Not entirely true, some ABS pumps do hold fluid until the solenoids trigger. Either a diag tool is required to purge, or engaging ABS does a similar thing, with the obvious side effects.

Associate
I was driving on snow/slush, applied brake and got a weird sensation like a cable attached to the brake peddle was vibrating or about to snap. It turns out this is the ABS kicking in. In all my years driving I've never experienced this before.

Considering I'd changed my own discs, pads and calipers I was sure I'd messed something up.

Just thought I'd add that.

Just wait for the day when you expence when you drive a car without ABS or when it fails.

Soldato
Just wait for the day when you expence when you drive a car without ABS or when it fails.

Yeah ... that brings back memories of a brown trouser moment in the 90's when someone pulled out on me from a side road. Fortunately the road conditions were good, so all I did was flat-spot all 4 tyres instead of hitting anyone or spinning off into a field. It was a company Cavalier and I got a new Vectra about a month later. One of the first things I did was find a quiet spot and try the same braking as the Vectra was equipped with this new-fangled ABS thing. You certainly knew it had kicked in from the noise and the pulsing in the brake pedal, but steering still working and not feeling like I was doomed was a relief ! ABS was a must-have from then on: although I guess its pretty much impossible now to buy a car without it.

Soldato

Sometimes ABS stops you from coming to a halt on snow/ice. I once had that in a Mazda at a red light. You have to pull the handbrake to do the last 2-3mph:/

Associate
yep, passed my driving test in a car with abs then almost immediately ended up in a car with no abs.

couple of brown trouser moments will soon teach you the value of proper brake control
Same for me. I had almost forgotten what it was like until last year when I was doing some track training and we disabled the ABS and I had all those memories come flooding back. All good fun....

Back
Top Bottom