Just fixed my PS3 Yellow light of death/PICS included

Associate
Hii, i've had my PS3 since launch and about 6 months ago I got the nasty YLOD i didn't know how to repair it, then yesterday i decided to look into some of the solutions of the Yellow light of death. I came across a process called reflowing the CPU/GPU using a heat gun, i was slightly skeptical but decided to do it since my warranty had expired. To my suprise it worked! :D, the first thing i did was play cod 4 :)

Here's my ps3 completley taken apart to the me're basics of the PCB motherboard.
73211438811460515676510.jpg

I didn't have any thermal compound, so i thought toothpaste would work as a temporary solution ;) and it did
73211438816760515676510.jpg

And this is the finish product, doing system update :]]
73211438819660515676510.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
toothpaste?!?

TP works as as thermal compound as it does the same job, albeit not quite as well.
OP if i was you i would do a back-up, quite a few have been fixed this way only to die a while down the road. You could trade it in to some and get a 160/250gb slim for a bit more cash and 1 year warranty. If you trade it in to a place that give warranty on all pre owned consoles then the buyer of your old PS3 is covered, for your piece of mind.

TP works as as thermal compound as it does the same job, albeit not quite as well.
OP if i was you i would do a back-up, quite a few have been fixed this way only to die a while down the road. You could trade it in to some and get a 160/250gb slim for a bit more cash and 1 year warranty. If you trade it in to a place that give warranty on all pre owned consoles then the buyer of your old PS3 is covered, for your piece of mind.

good advice there

Associate
OP

Do they buy consoles that have the warranty voided? thanks for the advice

Toothpaste goes hard when heated and allowed to cool.......
it can be used to stick things to a wall (photo's etc)

i have a feeling you'll be having some overheating problems soon!

toothpaste will last all of 5 seconds. i reall uhope you didnt reassemble that ps3 without proper paste lol

Lol i played the ps3 for 4 hours last night I think i better get buy some before playing it today.

Associate
i wonder if the op used toothpaste because he knew it was a short term alternative, or because he thought it looked the same?

Associate
I would really suggest taking it back apart and using colgate gel instead :D
No seriously use some good thermal paste , when you use a heat gun make sure you never move the board and let it cool before putting it back together :)

Back
Top Bottom