Just got an S3, help needed

Associate
Hi All,

I got a Galaxy S3 yesterday after being a long time iPhone user, there are a few areas I am struggling with and as a result I need some advice/help.

I'm hoping the forum may be able to offer some help, I appreciate any feedback.

• How does the phone backup? All my contacts mail, contacts and calendar are with Google so no issues there, but in terms of the apps I have installed and the way I have set the phone up. Does this get backed up? And if so how?
  • Is there any media manager like iTunes designed specifically for Android or the S3? I currently use iTunes and miss the functionality of being able to sync my music and all album artwork.
  • I used EasyPhoneSync to sync all my SMS messages to the S3. It seems the S3 cannot handle this many messages and has become buggy and slow. How can I delete all my SMS in one go?
  • Before deleting all my SMS I would quite like to export them to a file format that I can easily access. Is there any software for backing up/viewing SMS from the phone?
  • I used EasyPhoneSync to sync photos from an iPhone backup. The files have copied over correctly but as they are displayed by file creation date the order they are displayed is completely wrong. How can I make them displayed by the "Date taken" data in the file?

Thanks

Associate
A list of the apps you've installed is backed up to your google account. If you wanted to do a complete backup you could use titanium but I think this requires root ?

Media manager - look at doubletwist or isyncr

You can backup your sms messages to your google account, try smsbackup+ to do this.

Not sure about ordering of photos..

Soldato
Your apps don't need to be backed up like iOS, while this may sound odd you don't have anything to worry about as google sorts it out via the shop. This is tied to a philosophy you'll see more of as time goes on, Android is aimed at no interaction with other PCs etc... as consumer PCs arn't common around the world and relying on this was a step too far in google's eyes (which is why iOS updates OTA now, over a 3rd of iPhones never saw a PC in their life and thus never got updated before OTA came in).

Contact sync - background set and forget service working 24/7, tied to your google account. You've already activated it, nothing more to do :)

Messaging delete - goto Messaging, menu button, delete threads.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the standard gallery won't do the sort by you require. I don't really use my phone for viewing pics all that much but I suspect a replacement gallery like quickPic might do the trick for you. Something will probably do this if quickpic doesn't.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the responses.

So to confirm, if I do a hard reset on my phone there is no way to restore from a backup so all my apps/settings go back to how they were?

Also all the bloatware on the phone seems a shame, I assume that is where the attraction of Nexus handsets comes in? Almost tempted to exchange the S3 for a Samsung Nexus...

Another question, is it just me or are folders rubbish on the S3? I am finding it hard to adjust to setting up my desktops differently to the iPhone... Am I right in guession that most people will only put there "always used/favourite" apps on the desktops and then simply use the App view for others as and when required?

So plan of action as it stands is:
  • Backup SMS using SMSBackup+
  • Delete all SMS threads as suggested
  • Install Kies and see if it can sync my iTunes library with artwork like I want
  • Photo listings, no solution as of yet...

Soldato
You can do a full backup with something like 'Online Nandroid' or the paid 'Titanium Backup Pro'.

If you don't want the Samsung bloat and don't mind getting a little dirty you can root your phone and install wanamlite or similar ROM.

I have my desktop folders and icons like this:

hs.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mint_Sauce, I take it that your desktop is uses one of those rooted roms then? Or is it a skin?

I don't think I would want to root the system, however having folders that look usable is a big plus! Why are the standard ones so crap?

Also out of interest what weather widget are you using? I am keen to get a smaller one to free up space on the home screen...

Soldato
And whilst your taking questions Mint_Sauce - any chance you could share the name of the icon pack you have? really like the look of those :)

never mind just spotted your other thread

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom