Just got connected today with NewNet

Soldato
Hi all, instead of pestering customer services / technical support at newnet which would leave me in a few big queues no doubt... here should be able to give me a good answer.

ive just been connected today to newnet, and the modem isnt staying connected for great periods of time. its been connected for an hour at the most currently. then it'll disconnect and reconnect. sometimes its 5 minutes, sometimes its 25 minutes.

is this to be expected on the first few days of service? not set up internet before with MAX, last year i had a standard 2mbit line with f2s.

i'm running it through a Netgear DG834G if thats of any use.

Cheers

Associate
yep adsl max will disconnect if it cant hold the connection then resync at a lower rate and it will keep doing this untill it can hold it. should take no longer than 10days to get a sync rate and store it on the bras

Soldato
That does seem rather a lot, I don't remember my (very poor) line dropping more than 3 times on the first day then it settled down and has been fine since (apart from some silly lightning).

What are your stats from the router? Sync, SNR etc.

Soldato
My line (3km from exchange, Attn of 53dB) didn't drop at all (after I changed routers - first 1 hour). I used to have a Netgear DG834G but it has very poor tolerance for long lines I found so switched for a broadcom bcm6348 based modem/router (Belkin 7633UK4A) then a Speedtouch 585v6. Both synced 2 mbit higher than my netgear and are more stable.

Soldato
You lost sync 100+ times ?! Christ I think I had one if that. The 834's aren't known as being great over long distance but a 2mbit difference is quite a jump! I may dig out the old Broadcom's and see if I can get similar results next week.

Soldato
OP
soo... just got back in from a night out... check emails before bed... check the router to see whats going down with my connection...

Tue, 2006-09-26 00:26:59 - Loss of synchronization :384

so, thats quite a few losses of sync!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3648 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2 db 22 db

they are the stats coming in from my router at the moment.

pretty damn crappy if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom