Just hit the motherload

Don
I would say being kicked out of your house where you live, not because he can't afford it, but because he HAS to as they are knocking it down, then he should be compensated. Whether he was a multi-millionaire or a job-seeker it would be the same.

You jumped to a conclusion and your assumption was wrong.

eh?

he is over the moon about it, there isnt a downside for him anywhere, where this idea that he is actually disadvantaged by this whole affair is beyond me. the relocation is a welcomed event regardless of the 5k thats just an unexpected, un-needed and unrequested luxury.

so for the sake of a counter statement, actually I'd argue thats it's you who has jumped to a conclusion and its actually your assumption that's wrong.

/pedant
multi millionaires also dont generally get kicked out of council flats so the insinuation of compensation for the masses doesnt really fit

Caporegime
I would say being kicked out of your house where you live, not because he can't afford it, but because he HAS to as they are knocking it down, then he should be compensated. Whether he was a multi-millionaire or a job-seeker it would be the same.

compensation would be appropriate if they were knocking his house down and not giving him anywhere to stay. IE this hotel is overbooked, we've found you a room elsewhere but its much more expensive we'll pay the difference. But they have him a replacement, a upgraded, much nicer, bigger house with no real problems. IF he had no where to go, or the rent was massively more then money to help sort out a different place to cover a security desposite or several months of rent or something would be ok. But building a better, bigger replacement house that could well end up cheaper to live in, decorating it how he wants and paying people to move his stuff over. the Appropriate compensation in this case, is the new freaking house.

Soldato
I would say being kicked out of your house where you live, not because he can't afford it, but because he HAS to as they are knocking it down, then he should be compensated.

I am going to be moved into one of these new homes, they aren't tacky. they are supposed to be really well designed economic homes, They aren't council houses. They are built by the housing association.

They will cost more in rent than my current place, But I will save on the economic efficiency the homes provide, apparently the heating on the place can be run for £20 a month, they will have fitted solar panels + general Gas heating.( I currently pay £15 a week)

On top of that, The council will be giving me a £100 base line decorating budget, and then £50 for a living room, and £35 per every other room in the home. They will pay for removal of all my furniture from my current location to the new place. If I need a phone line installing, Sky TV installing (Which I do) If I keep the receipts they will refund me.

Now all that sounds great yes?

I think people just read the original OP and commented.

Soldato
Possible jealousy within this thread? Hell, anyone can give me £5,000 any day of the week! Enough money is getting raped out of us for petrol etc. therefore everyone should try get something back at any chance they get.

Lucky ******* :p

Man of Honour
Don't have a problem with the OP taking the £5k. I'd take it if offered it. But I do have a problem with the council offering it in the first place,

Soldato
House > Flat

Good to hear you're getting somewhere nicer.

What sort of work are you in?

Education, was said earlier in the thread...

As for the comment further back about homeless people - er, you do realise they generally don't get assistance because every accomodation provider follows council rules? Key workers are highest in the list, followed by those with medical conditions etc.. a single homeless person is second to last.

Associate
People of ocuk are to quick to pass judgement, he lives by himself how dare any of you say he lives in a **** hole, your bang out of order, yes hes on 20k a year but how the heck do you know he hasnt got debts etc to pay off, come off it.

You dont know anything about his personal life, if someone knocked on my door saying you had to move because of demolition, i would seriously be worried as its a big step.. lighten up on him.

at least he's making an effort in this world, i bet theres one or two of us amongst us, who havent got any go in them whatsoever to even think about trying to get a decent job.

Most sense I've read all thread!

What's more, some people on here are passing judgement on what they think the stereotypical council house tenant is; some lazy non-worker couch potatoe on the dole, paying no rent/tax etc.

HOW DARE YOU! :D
big_LucindaLedgerwood.jpg

It's quite obvious someone should turn that into Meme. I could, but I need bed, so someone else can have it. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
No, personal attacks only come into it when people lose arguments or are discovered to be trolling.

Then its to the handbags quickly!
I never troll, this is what I believe. I certainly haven't lost any argument.

didnt you more or less make a personal attack of your own in your first post in this thread?
No it was a genuine question, although I can see how It could come across as a bit aggressive.

Why shouldnt he have council accomodation? If he is paying rent which he will be then he has every right to it.
As far as I understand it it is subsidised rent, that is a waste of tax payers money.

Maybe because not everyone is massively materialistic or subscribe to the keeping up with the Jones’s / must have bigger flasher possessions BS!!
Some of the owners could very well be happy and settled with where they are living so being told your moving no discussion is not a very nice thing to occur.

But it's rented accommodation, he has no rights to stay there and certainly shouldn't get any compensation from tax payers money

Council houses should be for those who would otherwise struggle, not for someone on 20k and single, regardless of there job.

From this thread I have suddenly realised how labour has stayed in power and how they have gotten away with massive tax increases.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think it's "wrong" that the OP is getting this money, but I don't think the OP himself is doing anything wrong - it's the governments fault for giving, not the peoples fault for taking!

I've already said similar :)

Only read the first page, but is AcidHell an editor for the Daily Mail?
Certainly not, but is it so wrong to think that tax money should be spent of essential things and not wasted. But I suppose you like paying £5k a year more in tax since Labour got into power.

Last edited:
Associate
ok so let me get this straight, we are spongers unless we have our own houses?

well i must be one then. after being diagnosed with cancer 5 months ago, no morgage company will currently or probably ever touch me, so i guess im gonna be in private rented house for rest of my days.

ah well , all hail the sponger!

Soldato
no different than private house being knocked down to make way for motorways, ect, private house owners get compensation, why should he?. But saying that it does stick in the throat slightly that a single person earning 20grand is able to be living in a council house in the 1st place but not knowing the situation then cannot really comment to much.

well done anyways!

Man of Honour
i think thats crazy your being given 5k, your being upgraded, why line your pocket as well.. it's nice to know our money is given away so easily.

you don't need compensation.. I can prove it as you just posted how great it all was.

sometimes this goverment stinks... lucky they wont be around much longer.

just my 2 pence, don't mean any offence btw.

Soldato
Council houses should be for those who would otherwise struggle, not for someone on 20k and single, regardless of there job.

I'm on more than 20k and I'm struggling. At the time I needed to move I was on 18k and there were no houses for under 85k near to where I needed to be. 20k is not an amount that I'd be able to live on at the moment, mainly down to the increasing cost of mortgage payments, council tax, fuel, food, utility bills and wages rising well below inflation.

Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter disgrace, I'm not in a 'high' income job compared to the main demographic so I make sacrifices, being single I choose to move into a bedsit so that I have more disposable income, yeah of course I'd love to have a large apartment/house but if I want those things I have to work at them, I certainly don't expect them for free, and how any single person is struggling at 20k PA is unbelievable, I know 'families' in Cornwall that live in half of that.

Possible jealousy within this thread?

Yes, I'm jealous, and I have a ******* god dam right to be, theres no shame in it, I work my balls off, lower my accommodation standards to have more money to save for a better future and then you see/hear about people like the original poster that is in no need of any financial assistance getting a payout and a free upgrade like that off the backs of hard working tax payers that are paying a hell of allot more money into the system than he is, **** yeah I'm jealous.

Last edited:
Soldato
Utter, utter, utter, utter, utter disgrace, I'm not in a 'high' income job compared to the main demographic so I make sacrifices, being single I choose to move into a bedsit so that I have more disposable income, yeah of course I'd love to have a large apartment/house but if I want those things I have to work at them, I certainly don't expect them for free, and how any single person is struggling at 20k PA is unbelievable, I know 'families' in Cornwall that live in half of that.

a family living off 10k pa must be gettin a hell of a lot of benefits though surely?

Back
Top Bottom