Just hit the motherload

Soldato
you dont pay tax in the first place, you have a tax exemption code, you also get an HC2 certificate for all prescription drugs and a council tax exemption deal too. I dont berate students for that nor will I :)

While we're OT; wtf is a tax exemption code? as I understand it .... you earn over the allotted allowance, you pay tax ... NO exceptions. (in theory)

Soldato
Living in council house...Fine
Paying to live in said house...Fine
Council providing better accommodation as a result of current accommodation no longer possible...Fine
Council giving you £5K for this upgrade..Craziness

The extra moving payments are one thing, but throwing £5k on top of that?

It's stupid things like this that encourage people to sit on their backsides and not work hard at life.

Soldato
Fair enough to the OP imo. I have a lot of family who claim "jobseekers allowance" and disability benefit and still work cash in hand. They are complete wasters and live in their council houses which they purchased at discounted rates and pay their mortgages with these benefits. They are scum.

The OP is a key worker who puts money into the system and pays his own rent. Why not take something back, at the end of the day the government gets most of it eventually anyhow.

Soldato
No, basically she doesn't necessarily agree the government SHOULD be giving all this money away, but acknowledges that when she pays her road tax, the chances of that being spent on repairing roads, is very low! So when the government is being an arse and offering all this money, you would have to be incredibly stupid not to take it, because if you don't someone else will!

I'd say the chance of her Vehicle Excise Duty being put towards repairing roads is more non-existant than low, her Council Tax funds that and like I said, it's not the Governments money, they don't pull out their own personal cheque books every time your local council needs a sub.

Caporegime
Students are known as tax dodgers as mostly they don't work. no work = no tax. Students that work, and work enough hours or high enough wage to get into a tax bracket, pay tax.

As for everything else, the guys a key worker, governemnt will give council housing to key workers at often discounted rates to persuade more people into working as teachers, nurses with crappy salerys, nothing wrong with that. Though, frankly you'd be better off working in IT in another area where you can move up, rather than at a school(how it sounded pages ago) for crappy wage, no way up, get a different place that costs more but get a much higher pay check.

But who cares thats where he is now. COuncil wants to build homes, fine, he said his is crap and he's going to be getting a much bigger much nicer place, thats all fine its not a free house, he'll be paying rent, nowt wrong there either. Free 5k for essentially upgrading someones living situation, is a complete and utter joke in any sense of the word. Frankly I'd refuse it, every single time everyone takes every last hand out THEY DON'T NEED the government will end up raising taxes to raise the money available for handouts, thats life. Government lives of handouts these days and it needs to stop. I would refuse it and its not retarded too. I could claim dissability, I don't, i don't need to right now as I'm sponging off my parents, I'm hoping to get my knee's better, or replaced and get to work after that, I'm in chronic pain and could be claiming all the crappy benefits possible but I'm in a roughly ok situation where my parents can support me. I could move out, live on my own which I'd prefer and get loads of money for rent, food, and support and help getting around but I refuse to do this, my life would most likely be better if I moved out and claimed but I simply won't do it.

Can't remember who said their mum said it, something along the lines of the government won't ever help you so when you can get anything, take everything from them. THats the reasoning behind the massive decline in our country at the moment. Handouts, benefits, and MASSIVE dependancy on tax paid jobs to keep our economy going are literally running this country towards a massive unavoidable crash.

A civilised working society would have a pool of money to help and only people that need it took it, we apparently aren't civilised, we simply want it and take it with no thought to how or who else it will effect, without even realising by taking handouts you don't need, you end up raising your own taxes at the end of the day, well done.

EDIT:- i have no issue with them reimbursing you for things like having sky reinstalled and telephone, that makes sense, you've paid for sky, them moving you causes you to have to pay for it to be reinstalled, they should be liable thats the cost of doing business. Frankly I can't see how anyone living in a grotty nasty flat being moved to a new, cheaper to run, larger house would feel stressed or upset. Especially with possibly well over a years notice(talk and planning and initial notices probably would happen 2-3 years in advance).

You hear about payments when old couples are moved out of a nice little road with their cottage on getting compensation, but someone living in a crappy council house being upgraded?

To me its the equivilent of turning up to a hotel, they tell you they are out of the double room you asked for so they are bumping you up to a king size or suite or something for no extra cost, thats normal, but would a hotel offer you another 5k ontop for giving you something better? never, its just ridiculous in every last way.

Last edited:
Associate
This is not meant as an attack on the OP and in his position I would take the cash as well but, I live in a military family and apart from being shifted around the country every two or three years into ever outdated and grotty houses (and out of the country in Germany as we are now) we are not given five grand. We get something called Disturbance Allowance and it comes no where near what you are being given. Something stinks as being slightly unfair.

Caporegime
not like everybody else at all, you can claim back your tax when working over your holidays (p38) plus you get the first £5500 ish tax free

the tax when working over holiday claimed back is ONLY if you pay under the £5500 tax cap, everyone in the UK has this limit. No one pays tax on their first £5.4k or so earned, next yer £6k. NO ONE, not students, not the guy who gets 12 million a year working in the city. The tax you pay is adjusted to take into account your wage for the year, so rather than pay no tax to 5k and more tax after, you get a weekly average for the whole year worked out by wage throughout the year and pay a lower total every single week. You can claim this back whoever you are, if you simply make less than the tax threshold. The only tax students avoid is council tax.

Soldato
This is not meant as an attack on the OP and in his position I would take the cash as well but, I live in a military family and apart from being shifted around the country every two or three years into ever outdated and grotty houses (and out of the country in Germany as we are now) we are not given five grand. We get something called Disturbance Allowance and it comes no where near what you are being given. Something stinks as being slightly unfair.

would it be fair to say that you expect to be moved around though? whereas the op is nicely settled in civvy street

Caporegime
i`m sure you would knock back 5k ;)

As i said I could claim disability and a bunch of various benefits, I've been told I'm eligible for a council house, and rougly 15k a year in hand outs for the last 7 years or so which I've refused, I've already refused to recieve what, 100k in hand outs, whats another 5k.

Not every single last person in this fast turning to crap country takes all money the retarded government wants to throw at them needed or not. My family is certainly not poor, but FAR FAR from being some rich family that I don't need to work for life, I need to work and will do when I hopefully find a way to get mobile and not have severe pain all the time.

IN actuality, I know my self being one of very few people to not take handouts is making next to no difference, statistically its completely insignificant, but i refuse to be part of the problem, absolutely refuse.

IN the same way I wouldn't join in a riot and looting just because loads of other people are, and I wouldn't throw stones at someone because a bunch of other people are, I won't take money i can live without simply because everyone else does, thats the thinking that is destroying this country.

Last edited:
Associate
would it be fair to say that you expect to be moved around though? whereas the op is nicely settled in civvy street

Yes your comment is fair but to compare my situation in which it is expected to move multiple times, will the one move that the OP makes in this situation really cause so much stress and grief that it warrants such a sum where military families are expected to to just except it as life?

Soldato
The reaction this has recieved is totally laughable

what will happen is that the developers dont just give every single house to council tennants. You need to realise that the council has sold off the land to a private group who are going to build and sell a big number of houses..

ok .. 100 houses in a street, getting demolished.. getting 5000 quid...

500000 quid spent... for land that can provide another 100(more most likely) houses worth 100k at least...

do the maths.

no one is losing money, infact the council probably scored a load of cash for the land

Soldato
As i said I could claim disability and a bunch of various benefits, I've been told I'm eligible for a council house, and rougly 15k a year in hand outs for the last 7 years or so which I've refused, I've already refused to recieve what, 100k in hand outs, whats another 5k.

Not every single last person in this fast turning to crap country takes all money the retarded government wants to throw at them needed or not. My family is certainly not poor, but FAR FAR from being some rich family that I don't need to work for life, I need to work and will do when I hopefully find a way to get mobile and not have severe pain all the time.

IN actuality, I know my self being one of very few people to not take handouts is making next to no difference, statistically its completely insignificant, but i refuse to be part of the problem, absolutely refuse.

thats very noble of you , but as you say your only one person so its wont do diddly for the economy

Caporegime
Yes your comment is fair but to compare my situation in which it is expected to move multiple times, will the one move that the OP makes in this situation really cause so much stress and grief that it warrants such a sum where military families are expected to to just except it as life?

No, frankly you should expect it, its fairly well known, but it should feel like a kick in the teeth to you to see someone get 5k for the same thing. THe thing is not wanting to sound bad, you don't deserve 5k, but in the situation in the OP, he doesn't deserve anything.

Infact, being youngish and not in a settled family home he should also expect to move at somepoint. INfact he things its grotty and has stated he had planned to move out and get his own place but broke up with his girlfriend.

Caporegime
thats very noble of you , but as you say your only one person so its wont do diddly for the economy

I honestly keep thinking, and spoke to my mum about it the other day. I keep thinking, I'd be better off taking it, its not difficult to take it, I almost want to take it as I feel so angry that everyone else takes it without a care in the world or a thought as to whats going to happen when the country runs out of money. But at the end of the day, I can't do it, as much as I could do with the cash and my own place who I am and how I feel just won't let me do it. AS much as I'm kind of proud of that, I'm kind of irritated too. It would be easier, but its something i feel so strongly about, and am so strongly against I would feel like crap for taking hand outs and feel guilty.

To be honest this country is beyond screwed, we simply don't ahve jobs for all the people on hand outs now, to get off benefits, we have no industry anymore and a ridiculous amount of completely unneeded public sector jobs. For "all" people possible to get off benefits the government would just create a bunch more public sector jobs paid out of taxes anyway, shifting the name of the benefit frankly.

Caporegime
yep. I'm sorry but Handouts should only be given to people who absolutely need them.

I would say being kicked out of your house where you live, not because he can't afford it, but because he HAS to as they are knocking it down, then he should be compensated. Whether he was a multi-millionaire or a job-seeker it would be the same.

You jumped to a conclusion and your assumption was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom