1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just joined a political party

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and joined a political party. I've always wanted to get involved in politics, but I've never really known how to describe my political beliefs. I think that has now changed after quite a bit of thought and I'm ready to be a bit more proactive in my local party.

Does anyone else get involved in local politics at all and what would your advice be for someone just starting to get involved?

2. Zethor

Mobster

Just praise your fearless leader, Nigel, and hope for the best.

3. Semple

Soldato

:D

Perhaps we can turn this thread into a guessing game of which party did the OP join.

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Nah. Either Cromulent will say "Whoops!" and tell us with his next post, or it's a far right anti-EU party.

5. billysielu

Capodecina

I went to a local party meeting once. It took some old woman 5 minutes to start arguing with me. So I never went back.

6. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

fixed for you :)

7. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

I have done in the past.
    You may have an issue being taken seriously, the people there will already have their networks and plans and you may find its far less democratic than you thought, and they are really after your money.

But they often have cheap bars, so its worth a crack to see how you get on. I found in reality once you know people its not all about politics just like any group isn't purely about the subject that brings them together initially

8. SPG

Soldato

Why ?

Due to the UK system you have zero impact on any of the decision apart from a "fake attempts" at directing policy at a national level at some crappy conference of lies. Unless by some freak miracle you manage to penetrate the inner circle of course but to do this you either need

Money

Connections at Cambridge / Oxford
    Eton
    A nice good Prep School

Dirt on any of the above, (we are talking some really good stuff here, photo`s history of secret whats-app groups)

The only way to be effective is at local council level, forget being a MP unless you have been to Oxford/Cambridge is 90% of the reason why people are so cheesed off with every single MP who belongs to a major party.

9. Cromulent

Mobster

The reason I joined is that I want to contribute to their disability policies and also to help out in any way I can. I also want to offer to help with their websites or any other IT thing as I am a programmer. But mainly I want to get involved at the local level.

Also for those who were wondering I joined the Lib Dems.

10. robfosters

Caporegime

Someone has to I suppose :p

11. billysielu

Capodecina

There's a difference between safe space nonsense, and not wanting to join a group with nasty people in it.

12. humbug

Caporegime

I'm a member of the Brexit party now, i was Tory, Labour before that..... mainstream parties will not get my vote ever again unless by some miracle one of them actually starts acting like a democratic party.

13. Tenuous

Gangster

Nice one Crom. I've been a member since the referendum and having the feeling that I should do something a bit more pro-active than just posting on internet forums. I started by volunteering to deliver leaflets in the local area and have since progressed on to standing in the local elections in May (and have been out canvassing etc), which was not something I expected to end up doing. Your local party probably have regular meet ups, definitely worth going along to a few of those to meet people and I've found everyone involved to be really friendly.

14. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

I found that hilarious, I’m not sure why I found it so funny though:confused: but thank you I’m going to sleep with a smile on my face.

15. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

I voted libdem until they just started opposing everything the SNP said, regardless of what was being said, it was thanks to Willie Rennie and his politics of patheticness that I seen through the bs and joined the SNP.

16. Stretch

Capodecina

Surely the fact they're not getting your vote because you don't agree with them means they are acting as a democratic party?

17. Skidder

Man of Honour

Derp.

18. FishFluff

Soldato

You seem to think everyone who disagrees with your opinion (which is most people, judging from other threads) is nasty or attacking you.

19. inogen

Mobster

Of course you are.

20. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

My local LD councillors in E18 were rather good at looking out for the locals unlike the local Tories who just doled out planning permission to their mates for whatever monstrosity they wanted to inflict on us.

It’s just a shame that the LDs haven’t had a credible leader since the Jock alcoholic quit.